The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch needed

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  01duramax6spd 
#1 ·
In the very near future I am going to be installing a new clutch. Just looking for some feedback, like which will handle decent mods. The fact that the flywheel is crap goes without saying, should I change that too? What do aftermarket flywheels run? Who has the best product for clutches and/or flywheels? I'm not sure about GM master cylinders, should that go as well? Basically just looking for a setup that will last. Currently have intake, exhaust, big head and ppe hot +2. Mostly daily driver but have a 24' 6800 lb trailer. I like my truck alot and don't want to ever buy another, if possible. Any info at all will be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
a south bend clutch and a singlemass flywheel from them should take any mods you throw at it

#3 ·
ok, so i got a quote for a SB dual disk clutch - 2600 smackers installed (one piece flywheel included). Sound like a fair price? Add another $147 for GM throwout bearing slave assy, are there any aftermarket parts?? Cheaper that a suncoast 5? How much do those things go for? None of this includes my 2 hour drive to Fort Worth and lunch for the shop.

Oh yeah, how does this clutch behave? Anyone have one that they run in a street application? What will my wife say when she drives it?

#4 ·
someone with a stick please chime in at any time

#5 ·
Depends on which one you're getting. The SBC Single Disc {Ceramic IIRC} is $1200,the SBC Dual Disc Ceramic is $1750 {what I run currently} and the SBC Dual Disc Feramic is $2100 {IIRC}.These are w/o install. My friend sells them if you're interested in doing the install I'd order it from him.He charges $200 for installs IIRC. I can get you his # if you want.

For what you're doing I'd get the SBC Single Disc.As long as you're not sled pulling. The Dual Disc is not quite as driver friendly,even though it's good it still makes some noise and such.

#6 ·
Thanks alot for the information!! I'm thinking of going with the dual disc at this point just because I can't trust myself. I could go crazy with efi live or I might get into sled pulling?? Never tried it, and thats enough of an excuse for me. The only questions I have is how different does the pedal feel? And will i need a new master cyl.?? And if your friend is somewhere in central TX, thats cool, otherwise I have heard good things about a guy in Ft Worth.

#7 ·
My friend is in Denver,CO. Yeah the Dual Disc is a must if you're going to sled pull. Pullin' is awsome and I've only done it once so far.
It isn't hard to drive. My mom can drive it without any problem and my GF and one of her friends have driven it too. It takes a little getting used to but so does going from a 5spd to a 6spd IMO.

#8 ·
cool, my wife does just fine with the truck as is. Hated it when I went with the straight pipe though. :HITFAN:
Denver is a bit of a hike, beautiful city and a great place to visit, just a little out of my reach at the moment. If I still lived in albuquerque I wouldnt think twice. thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

jay

#9 ·
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.