should i buy 200,000 mile duramax - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by heavypulling, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 12735 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

should i buy 200,000 mile duramax

There is a 2001 duramax chevy comeing into a dealer. It is a 2500HD and is a ex-cab with 200,000 miles and the allison. I just want to know what problems it may give me with those miles on it. also what should i look for to see if it will give me problems. they are going to sell it for $13,000. i just don't want to buy it and then have lots of repair bills. it needs to last me a while until my project truck is finished. i appreciated any advice and thanks in advace for any info.

i really do need even the smallest bit of info, the more information i can get the better so give all that you know of. thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

That will depend on how it was maintained. The mileage dont scare me any, but in order to put them on ,it took use. If the overall truck is in decent shape, I wouldnt worry to much, thats a sign that it was taken care off, if not....?

Eric Merchant
www.Merchant-Automotive.com
Zeeland, MI
1-866-399-7169
ASE/GM Master Certified
AC Delco Independent Repair Center
Authorized Suncoast dealer/installer
State of Michigan Licensed Repair Facility
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 AM

Have the dealer run the VIN and see what the service history was like.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 AM

Yeah If you can find out it was well maintained it shouldn't be a bad buy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

so is there anything other than how it was maintained that i should look for and the shape. i just want to know what problems others have run into with there trucks with more than 200,000 or if anyone knows of any of the main problems.

does anyone know of where you can get a rebuild kit for the engine and tranny, and how much does it cost.

any info on that is great just want to be prepared. i want to program this truck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

Its more then just a 'kit' at 200k due to normal wear. If you get in a situation with that, I'll give you a hand.

Eric Merchant
www.Merchant-Automotive.com
Zeeland, MI
1-866-399-7169
ASE/GM Master Certified
AC Delco Independent Repair Center
Authorized Suncoast dealer/installer
State of Michigan Licensed Repair Facility
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

so what is it that you have to get to rebuild the motor, also if i drive the truck and its ok i will run the vin to see if they didn't just get rid of it because of injectors, but if they have been changed it should be fine.

so any info that you have on the engine rebuild would be helpful, since if its a good truck i will drive it tell the motor go's and then rebuild it if that isn't too much work. Is the rebuild alot like a 350 as far as boring it out decking it and replacing pistons cam and also replacing the crank if it nees to be done, rod and what ever else.

thanks for all the info and keep it comeing everyone.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Guy had a 330k mile truck at the dealership the other day, was still running strong an in great shape.

All depends in the shape it is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 12:20 AM

Diesels are a whole nother cup of tea compared to a gasser. That one is just good and broken in now. If she was maintained good, its got a good 100k+ in the motor. You really do have to look at the whole package, how does it drive, does the tranny shift good, nothing funky feeling or sound wise. Is the intertior or body badly worn? My 1997 6.5td Suburban was a paramedic responce truck before I got it, you would never know she has 191k on a 6.5td. But she got whatever was needed being a emergency vehicle, new inj pump and injectors at 170k, tranny rebuilt just before that ect. She still drives nice and runs excellent with many more years life in her. If she drives good and runs the same, go for it. Mike and Michele T
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode