Looking for a chip or programmer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4wydnr, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1596 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a chip or programmer

I've got a friend that is looking to get a chip for his dmax and I was wondering what would be a good chip. He will be getting an exhaust system and probably an intake, but he is worried about the trans holding up to the power. Any suggestions?

2001 F-250 7.3L Ext. Cab, SB 4X4, MBRP 4in, DIY intake, autometer pillar gauges, DP F5 tuner (40,80 and 120), ride-rite air springs, 08 Diff. cover.

1977 F-250 5.9L Cummins Nv4500 Dana 80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM

Ppe...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
diesel idiot

Depends on how much power you want. PPE HOT +2 and EFI Live add a ton of power, for lesser tuners id say diablo sport or quadzilla if you dont want to break the bank. For boxes people seem to like the VA.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3
EFILive, SC Trans w/ 1058 by me, Traction bars and centerlink braces built by me, Custom adjustable stock wastegate, 6 inch custom exhaust, 1792 Lift Pump, Belltech 3" drop shackles, Black H2's w/ Falken 285/60/17s for summer, BFG 315/70/17s for winter, SD sleeves, DiPricol EGT and Boost gauges on the pillar along with an Aeroforce for rail PSI and trans temp, 2 Kicker Comp CVT 10's w/ memphis amp, t-rex full face billet grille,limo tint, .Oh yeah I'm 20 and I built and tuned it myself.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 AM

With a stock tranny, I'd opt for the regular PPE Xcellerator instead of the Hot+2. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it later.

Predator, Quad, BullyDog all offer good tuners for LB7s.

Edge and VanAaken are good harness box choices.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 AM
TDG Junior Mafia #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac
With a stock tranny, I'd opt for the regular PPE Xcellerator instead of the Hot+2. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it later.

Predator, Quad, BullyDog all offer good tuners for LB7s.

Edge and VanAaken are good harness box choices.
:iagree Except I have heard some bad things about bullydog.

2001 Chevy SB/CC Duramax LB7

Garrett GT4088R from PPE, PPE Duel fuelers, PPE Tuning, PPE stage 4 transmission w/suncoast 1056 converter, PPE Lift pump, Fabtech tie rods, Black Eagle alloys.
Engine is apart and in the garage
Goal is to have it done by the end of this summer.
TDG Mafia
The Diesel Garage

"Can you keep up??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoedmax
Depends on how much power you want. PPE HOT +2 and EFI Live add a ton of power, for lesser tuners id say diablo sport or quadzilla if you dont want to break the bank. For boxes people seem to like the VA.
We have a couple of models and I am pretty darn sure the PPE whatever will not put down more power than our Race tuner. You might be able to tweak a few more ponies from EFI live but, it would take a lot of work and I am still yet to see anyone just make any major advances over our 215hp tune.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadBoenker
We have a couple of models and I am pretty darn sure the PPE whatever will not put down more power than our Race tuner. You might be able to tweak a few more ponies from EFI live but, it would take a lot of work and I am still yet to see anyone just make any major advances over our 215hp tune.
I have a EFILive tune sitting in my truck righ now that will run circles around your Quad 215. Not trying to stir the pot here but getting power from EFILive is a very easy task in the hands of the proper tunner, there are many individuals doing it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Lets see your numbers on a dyno or on the track then.

WE posted our numbers about 5 years ago. I keep hearing it, I have EFI Live, I heard rumors but................

Remember with our tuner we put a 4dr 4x4 truck in the 11's about 4 years ago. Not our truck, a customer truck. That is impressive.

I think on individual trucks you can smooth things out a little or do little things here and there and I do think you might squeak a few more ponies out but, nothing ground breaking.

Not to mention with EFI Live you have to know what you are doing or have plenty of free time to make it work. THen you need a laptop and you need to cary your laptop and their hardware with you everywhere you go in case you need to change a tune or go back to stock. Not all that handy. And it is expensive in comparison.

I think EFI Live is great for some people. I think it is a great tool for some people. I think it is a terrible tool for a guy that wants a little more performance or for the average diesel owner.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM
TDG Junior Mafia #61

I think the PPE will dyno a little more than the quad, and so will a properly made EFI Tune.

2001 Chevy SB/CC Duramax LB7

Garrett GT4088R from PPE, PPE Duel fuelers, PPE Tuning, PPE stage 4 transmission w/suncoast 1056 converter, PPE Lift pump, Fabtech tie rods, Black Eagle alloys.
Engine is apart and in the garage
Goal is to have it done by the end of this summer.
TDG Mafia
The Diesel Garage

"Can you keep up??
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadBoenker
Lets see your numbers on a dyno or on the track then.

WE posted our numbers about 5 years ago. I keep hearing it, I have EFI Live, I heard rumors but................

Remember with our tuner we put a 4dr 4x4 truck in the 11's about 4 years ago. Not our truck, a customer truck. That is impressive.

I think on individual trucks you can smooth things out a little or do little things here and there and I do think you might squeak a few more ponies out but, nothing ground breaking.

Not to mention with EFI Live you have to know what you are doing or have plenty of free time to make it work. THen you need a laptop and you need to cary your laptop and their hardware with you everywhere you go in case you need to change a tune or go back to stock. Not all that handy. And it is expensive in comparison.

I think EFI Live is great for some people. I think it is a great tool for some people. I think it is a terrible tool for a guy that wants a little more performance or for the average diesel owner.
I get my results on a 300' clay track. The same tune is in two other trucks that ditched the Quad 215 since it couldn't keep up. There is more to be had from a proprely tuned EFILive tune than a few "little" things, far more.

Dont get me wrong, the Quad 215 is a great tune that makes great power, I have no complaints with it what so ever, there are; however, higher HP options available for thoes who desire them, applications that are as streetable as the 215.

For the normal run of the mill diesel owner wanting a little more performance, the Quad 215 and EFILive are probley way overkill for them.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode