best chip/tuner for LB7? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by HotSauce2138, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 15117 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Hotsauce2138

Send a message via AIM to HotSauce2138 Send a message via MSN to HotSauce2138
best chip/tuner for LB7?

hey guys what is the best chip for the dmax lb7?

thnx

SAM
Late 99 F-250 CC SWB Lariat 6 sp. 4x4 - the mods= Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DDP Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors. Shimmed Regulator, CCV Reroute and HX Hose from Dfuser, 4" turbo back straight pipe to GR 5" stack kit w/ 7"mitre cut stacks DPPPOWER.COM, AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ PG7, DP Tuner F5 Chip, 18K Mod Dfuser, SouthBend Clutch, Pro Pods quad a-pillar pod, Autometer Ultra-Lite Series Guages ( EGT, Boost 0-35, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Engine oil temp.), Pro tech cab guard, WELD Sidewinders. Road Armor's!!! Custom Pro Tech toolbox/stack cover, , Sirius Sat. Radio, BD Exhaust Brake, 06 Towing Mirrors w/ LED blinkers and heated
:93C_peelo
My Gallery: http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...y.asp?id=18074
Singles Club Member #52
Can You Keep Up??
Because I'm trying to. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 AM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Sam, I think the PPE is the tuner of choice currently.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Hotsauce2138
Threadstarter

so like the sct for the 6.0 and the dp for 7.3?

SAM
Late 99 F-250 CC SWB Lariat 6 sp. 4x4 - the mods= Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DDP Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors. Shimmed Regulator, CCV Reroute and HX Hose from Dfuser, 4" turbo back straight pipe to GR 5" stack kit w/ 7"mitre cut stacks DPPPOWER.COM, AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ PG7, DP Tuner F5 Chip, 18K Mod Dfuser, SouthBend Clutch, Pro Pods quad a-pillar pod, Autometer Ultra-Lite Series Guages ( EGT, Boost 0-35, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Engine oil temp.), Pro tech cab guard, WELD Sidewinders. Road Armor's!!! Custom Pro Tech toolbox/stack cover, , Sirius Sat. Radio, BD Exhaust Brake, 06 Towing Mirrors w/ LED blinkers and heated
Singles Club Member #52
Can You Keep Up??
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM

"best" is relative. I use the PPE 'cuz I don't want to get into EFI right now. EFI is probably the closest to sct, you are able to write your own tunes and change just about everything. It can't be that hard to learn, I'm just not willing to spend the time on it right now. You can get tunes from other people w/o doing it yourself. I must say PPE makes a great product and they stand behind it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
99_stroker

ppe will build mad power... if u dont have a upgraded tranny its a bit hard on things my cousin has a ppe in his 04 duramax and the tranny slips real bad and im pretty sure it went into limp mode but the moral of the story is ppe kicks a** :smoke :smoke they definitely dont skip out on the smoke factor
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 AM
TDG Junior Mafia #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_stroker*
ppe will build mad power... if u dont have a upgraded tranny its a bit hard on things my cousin has a ppe in his 04 duramax and the tranny slips real bad and im pretty sure it went into limp mode but the moral of the story is ppe kicks a** :smoke :smoke they definitely dont skip out on the smoke factor
:agreed:

2001 Chevy SB/CC Duramax LB7

Garrett GT4088R from PPE, PPE Duel fuelers, PPE Tuning, PPE stage 4 transmission w/suncoast 1056 converter, PPE Lift pump, Fabtech tie rods, Black Eagle alloys.
Engine is apart and in the garage
Goal is to have it done by the end of this summer.
TDG Mafia
The Diesel Garage

"Can you keep up??
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 AM

The QM time in my sig is with a PPE Hot +2. As far as canned-tuners go, it is the best out there. Build the tranny first, though.

Yes, EFI is the best overall tuning TOOL, but tuning with EFI takes time and experimentation, so use it only if you have the time to invest in it.
Another option is to buy EFI tunes from a few different sources, too. Mcrat, RidgeRunner, DuramaxTuner, etc....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Hotsauce2138
Threadstarter

thnx guys

SAM
Singles Club Member #52
Can You Keep Up??
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 PM

Hey guys, got a friend that has a '01 dmax with a allison tranny, with a 4" exhaust and a K&N intake system. He's looking into getting a chip for it and didn't know what to get. He was looking into the hypertech and the edge, but i kinda told him that those really aren't what he should getting. I'm thinking the PPE Xcellerator is probably the best way to go. This truck is a daily driver with a stock tranny and gets 20mpg. With the tranny being stock i was thinking about the 120 or 150hp Xcellerator, but nothing that makes more power than that cause he's not looking into getting ton's of power, just better MPG. Will one of these be OK with a stock allison tranny? Also, will these 120 or 150 Xcellerator programmers make the truck smoke alot?

2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4: SCT, AFE stage II, autometer gauges(pyro, boost, tranny, fuel), edge insight, CFM large mouth intake elbow, spearco, snow performance water injection, 5" stacks, ARP's, fluidampr, hypermax fire rings, LIPD regulated return, FASS, fuelab, casserly 190's, 64/71/70 turbo(polished compressor housing)modded FICM(ID), Hellmann's sump, electirc fans
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L
Hey guys, got a friend that has a '01 dmax with a allison tranny, with a 4" exhaust and a K&N intake system. He's looking into getting a chip for it and didn't know what to get. He was looking into the hypertech and the edge, but i kinda told him that those really aren't what he should getting. I'm thinking the PPE Xcellerator is probably the best way to go. This truck is a daily driver with a stock tranny and gets 20mpg. With the tranny being stock i was thinking about the 120 or 150hp Xcellerator, but nothing that makes more power than that cause he's not looking into getting ton's of power, just better MPG. Will one of these be OK with a stock allison tranny? Also, will these 120 or 150 Xcellerator programmers make the truck smoke alot?
I would say if he is not planning on upgrading the tranny this one is about all it can handle: http://www.pacificp.com/index.php?ma...products_id=12

Now without doing anything to the tranny the 120 might be pushing it, and I would definitely stay away from the 150. None of these tunes should smoke until you get up to the level 6 (250hp). There might be some affordable trans mods like a transgo jr./torque converter that will help. Personally I have seen the best mpg's from level one on the highway and in the city. PPE is probably the best off-the-shelf tuner you can get, well worth the $$. And you can always upgrade your tuner if someone gives you $5k to buy a new transmission!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode