Question from powerstroke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bronco81, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 941 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Question from powerstroke

I have a friend with a 2003 crewcab drw lb7. He has nothing more than a banks 6 gun as well as exhaust and intake. He also claims to stack a 70 hp quadzilla chip with this. I know nothing about this setup. He thinks he is putting down crazy numbers but won't dyno. And when I tell him there are better products for his setup he will not listen. He is a know it all of sorts. In an honest opinion could an 06 crewcab srw powerstroke hang with him if I had the sct with custrom tunes? This might be my way to get him to get a better setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 PM

If he's stacking a Banks :barf: and a Quad, his tranny is going to be wrecked soon. Figure he's maybe 380rwhp with that setup (LB7 - 230-240rwhp stock). It would be an interesting race until he limped his trans.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

His tranny goes into limp mode all of the time. I keep telling him about the stupid power that you guys are making with efi live and ppe and he will not listen. He thinks that the hp numbers the tunes claim are rwhp which is a joke. He thinks that the banks is the best tuner available and is safe because it defuels. He has the money and enough mechanical knowledge to get him in trouble, but no sense of what is really going on... I guess to run the ppe or efi he would need to have transmission work as well. How much hp is the factory five speed allison good for.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Destroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco81
How much hp is the factory five speed allison good for.
Around the 350 rwhp range.........some can get 375 or so if they are lucky.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Factory Allison is good for +100rwhp. Some people can get away with more, but usually not for long.

How's about you invite your friend to join here so he can learn something.

I cannot believe educated, intelligent people buy into that Banks marketing BS.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I am working on it. I am well aware of the potential his could have if he took some of yall's advice!!!

Thanks fellas
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
His tranny goes into limp mode all of the time. I keep telling him about the stupid power that you guys are making with efi live and ppe and he will not listen. He thinks that the hp numbers the tunes claim are rwhp which is a joke. He thinks that the banks is the best tuner available and is safe because it defuels. He has the money and enough mechanical knowledge to get him in trouble, but no sense of what is really going on... I guess to run the ppe or efi he would need to have transmission work as well. How much hp is the factory five speed allison good for.
Sounds like a guy I know. THis guys an idiot and needs schooled.

I tuned a LB7 for a friend with a 70 tow tune and a 125 street tune using EFILive. If he get into the throttle hard on the 125, his trans is not shifting well.

If the powerstroke has an SCT tune and controls the line pressure of the transmission, you should be ahead, especially since you should be putting down 400+ with a good shifting trans.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
sounds like he needs a trans first before he does anything else.

Jared
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxis_mudder
Sounds like a guy I know. THis guys an idiot and needs schooled.

I tuned a LB7 for a friend with a 70 tow tune and a 125 street tune using EFILive. If he get into the throttle hard on the 125, his trans is not shifting well.

If the powerstroke has an SCT tune and controls the line pressure of the transmission, you should be ahead, especially since you should be putting down 400+ with a good shifting trans.

i agree with what you are saying here

Jared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode