Any trouble w/FPRV after tuning? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Sthorpe45, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 8270 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Any trouble w/FPRV after tuning?

Hi folks. Been cruising around the site for a while but never posted. Lots of useful info from you guys.

I've been getting code 0093 when pulling a heavy load. Engine goes limp till I shut it down and restart.

I found some info on shimming the FPR spring after power upgrades but couldn't find any specifics. I finally decided to try to shim but bought a new valve from the dealer beforehand just in case the shim job looked fishy. After tearing into it, I found conflicting info on shim thicknesses to use so I opted to just use the replacement valve; thinking that w/115k miles the valve could be a little weak.

Long story short, still throwing codes even with no extra power tuning.

Any thoughts?

2001 Duramax, 3500 GMC, straight stock except Hypertech sometimes.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
strokenasty

when is the last time you changed the fuel filter. sounds like that is the problem

2003 GMC Lb7 EXT CAB SHORT BED w/ parts on it....:evil:
MERCHANT AUTOMOTIVE

SOLD:2001 Ford F-250 4x4:109,098 Miles, Autometer Ultralite Gauges(Pyro,Trans,Boost), TS Chip(high idle,stock,50,75,100,140+ settings: PureDieselPower), 6.5 Inch Pro Comp lift 315/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, Banks Transcommand, Banks Exhaust,Wicked Wheel(Dieselsite), Engine/Intercooler Boots(Dieselsite), AirForceOne Intake, Husky Floor Liners, Boost Tube(PureDieselPower), Zoodad Mod Boost Relief Valve(PureDieselPower) HX Mod(DieselSite), Regulator Shim Kit:65 psi(DieselInnovations), Amsoil in engine(5W-30 HDD),transmission(ATF),front/rear differentials(Severe Gear 75W-90 Front,75W-140 Rear),Amsoil dual by-pass filtration, Coolant Filter(Dieselsite) 203 Stat(Dieselsite), Evans NPG+Coolant(Dieselsite) TQ Lockup(Dfuser)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke250
when is the last time you changed the fuel filter. sounds like that is the problem
A filter change was the first thing I tried. However, I've been living with the prob for a while (no idea how many miles) so it might be time for another. I'll try it.

Thanks, Steve
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 AM

start with the filter then if that doesnt fix the problem you need to see what your rail pressure is you can do this either at the dealer if you know a tech they can put a pressure guage on in to see what your accutal rail pressure is. or if you know somebody with EFI Live you can have them do some logging. this will be the only way to start to figure out what the problem is with the surging. now i will say that my truck surges when its cold out and my reasoning is that the fuel is thicker and not allowing it to flow as easily but once its warm everything is fine. i think my problem is leading toward a prematurly worn CP3. you might also have this issue.

Jared
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Duramax
start with the filter then if that doesnt fix the problem you need to see what your rail pressure is you can do this either at the dealer if you know a tech they can put a pressure guage on in to see what your accutal rail pressure is. or if you know somebody with EFI Live you can have them do some logging. this will be the only way to start to figure out what the problem is with the surging. now i will say that my truck surges when its cold out and my reasoning is that the fuel is thicker and not allowing it to flow as easily but once its warm everything is fine. i think my problem is leading toward a prematurly worn CP3. you might also have this issue.

Jared
I changed the filter yesterday after hunting Easter Eggs; maybe just a little better. I hooked to the tractor and ran up the road about fifteen miles or so and it went limp three times. I really had to hoss it to get the code but it's still there (without the HP turned up). Before I changed the FPRV the engine would 'hunt' when idling; it's smooth now so I'm confident that the valve must have been at least part of the problem.
I noticed in your sig. that you have EFI live. Can you program around this kind of issue with that setup? CP3? What's that?

Thanks, Steve
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
BUG JUICER and

Shim it. EFIlive is the best way to log the pressure reduction if the FPRV is popping, it likely is.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee
Shim it. EFIlive is the best way to log the pressure reduction if the FPRV is popping, it likely is.
We cant shim it we have LB7 motors so we either have to replace it or tune around it.

With EFI live you can tune around the issue to a certain extent but you will most likly need hard parts to solve this like a lift pump and stock idling tables or a new FPRV, or a CP3. the CP3 is the pump that pressurizes the fuel before it goes into the common rail. latly i have been messing with my idling tables and the lift pump to smooth out my idle.

Jared
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthorpe45
I changed the filter yesterday after hunting Easter Eggs; maybe just a little better. I hooked to the tractor and ran up the road about fifteen miles or so and it went limp three times. I really had to hoss it to get the code but it's still there (without the HP turned up). Before I changed the FPRV the engine would 'hunt' when idling; it's smooth now so I'm confident that the valve must have been at least part of the problem.
I noticed in your sig. that you have EFI live. Can you program around this kind of issue with that setup? CP3? What's that?

Thanks, Steve
From the sounds of this i would try checking the mesh screen in the tank on the pick up unit. this maybe dirty causing you issues. if you go this rought i would reccomend installing a billet pick up kit which allows more fuel in to the motor. all the lines after the tank are 1/2 in but the stock pick up is 3/8 in this causes a lot of work that the CP3 dosent need to go through. if you do all of this and it still doesnt work i dont know what to tell you.:shrug:

Jared
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee
Killer,
In the thread starter I talked about shimming but opted to replace the valve with a new one. I took the old one apart and it looks like shims might work but I couldn't find out how far to shim it. I'm afraid that if it's too tight it might overpressure something. Do you have any info on shimming on a LB7?

Thanks, Steve
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Duramax
From the sounds of this i would try checking the mesh screen in the tank on the pick up unit. this maybe dirty causing you issues. if you go this rought i would reccomend installing a billet pick up kit which allows more fuel in to the motor. all the lines after the tank are 1/2 in but the stock pick up is 3/8 in this causes a lot of work that the CP3 dosent need to go through. if you do all of this and it still doesnt work i dont know what to tell you.:shrug:

Jared
Jared,
You brought up an interesting idea too. A little while after Hurricane Katrina I had a problem loosing prime. Found out it was trash in the primer pump that probably came from a transfer tank I was using while supplies were tight. I guess the same stuff could foul the pickup in the tank too. I used an inline filter for a long time but took it off when I started having probs with the fuel pressure thing.

Thanks, Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode