Advice - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by donaldveto, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1066 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Advice

I am looking to buy a 4x4 van. I can't afford a nice newer one. My buddy has a late 80's Ford 4x4 with a diesel engine. (haven't asked what size yet.) Here's the deal with the rig:
The engine seized about 3-4 years ago. Since then it has been sitting in his yard. Before it blew, he had the transmission redone. It has nice racks, bumper, lift etc. He wants $2000 for it.
I am a fairly rookie mechanic and have zero experience with diesel. But I am a pretty quick learner and like to dive into new things.
So my questions are:
What will it take to get this girl going?
What will I need to do to the transmission after sitting so long?
Can I rebuild a seized engine or do I have to replace?
What should I replace it with?
Can I try to do it myself? Or would that be crazy?
Any advice would really help. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Good used engines are available, but getting difficult to find because of age. You cannot rebuild or even fix a siezed engine for what a reman one with a warranty costs from a name brand supplier. Generally, OEM Ford reman engines are pretty good and cost competative.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 AM
TDG MAFIA

Garage
I agree with John. You either have a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI, not to be confused with a PSD. The IDI is a very simple machine, not much can go wrong if you keep up maintenance wise. Im not sure about your area but finding a IDI replacement isnt that hard like in some areas. You can try craigslist for a local motor, or get a Jasper or ford reman.

If only the motor was seized Id say the motor still has some valuable parts on it, but depending on how long it has set. As for the transmission cant really do much except change the fluid and all. Shouldnt be much of a deal.

You can swap out motors in a good weekend with some beer and a good buddy.

FORMERLY SMOKIN85

Ryan
1994 F-350 SRW Crew Cab 4x4 Dana 60 Front, 4.10 Gears with a E4OD

SOLD-1992 F350 7.3
Ryans 92 Diesel Pictures

SOLD-1985 F250 6.9 NA
Ryans 85 Diesel Pictures

The Diesel Garage Mafia
Singles Club
Ridin' Dirty Club #24

Don't forget to vote in TOTQ
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM

No location - if the humidity is high it may have condensation in the gearboxes, the brakes will probably need hydraulics and the fuel may be hard to burn - all simple problems that mostly take time if you DIY. You will probably want to look in the fuel tank for water or black stuff.

If you are starting, it is safer to have a helper or tutor. Things are just the first step heavier than cars so pay attention to not dropping things because of using the lightest equipment for cars. The engine is close to 900 lb.

R & R the engine on these is a little more dificult than the average because it is a van and some access is close and the 4x4 is a little taller so scaffolding is nice - whatever you use needs to be stable.

6.9 or 7.3 will fit, the 7.3 has more of a problem with pinholes in the upper cylinder from cavitation, as mentioned a rebuilt w/warranty is often a better buy because of the cost of repairs if you don't DIY on major engine repairs. Be sure that you understand what parts need to be returned with the core as the cost may be surprising. Likewise save stuff that is not needed to get credit for the core as it may help with maint in the future.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode