Thinking of buying my first IDI - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by psycobilly64, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 910 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of buying my first IDI

I am looking at buying a 1984 F250 ext cab 4x4 with the 6.9idi NA and a 4spd trans. The truck has around 130k miles and a descent body. I was just wondering if any one could give me some advice on what to look for as far as potential issues or what I might want to do after I buy it. It does have some issues (brakes, tires, etc) but the price is right, the 4 wheel drive works and it does run well. I have owned a couple of diesels in the past (a Mercedes 300sd and a 94 6.5 paperweight) but never really drove them. I know the 6.9s are a very durable motor other than the small head bolts and the head gaskets, but should I have anything else to be concerned about? Also the same guy has a 2wd auto the same year with an aftermarket turbo kit. I may be able to get a package deal for both and was considering swapping the turbo on to the 4x4. Would that be worth my time or would I be better off leaving the 4x4 stock? Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

We had one similar to that at work, a year older and an F-350 DRW but 6.9L 4spd. Mileage, if real, is LOW and if the engine has been well treated, you could expect another 200k from it. The headgaskets typically leak oil, not water and are not known for "blowing out", except with turbos Yes, the headbolts are smaller and they leak oil, but they are decent in terms of durability and certainly one of the better engines of it's day.

If you rely on your rig from a daily driver, I wouldn't add anything in terms of performance enhancements, it WILL take away some of the reliability and maybe a lot of it.

The wiring and GP systems should be CAREFULLY evaluated, if it has the older "slow start" GP system, well they can be troublesome. It is better for you and the engine to retrofit (Ford kit) to the later model 7.3L "fast start" GP system which are essentially trouble free systems once installed (with factory GPs and no Ether use that is).

Check to see if you have a "full floating" rear axle, if so, the brake drums are INboard mounted before 1986 and a major PITA to service, but doable.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode