Oh Sh%t - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Dr_Diesel, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1453 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dr_Diesel
Oh Sh%t

I have a 1990 F450 service truck 128,000 miles 7.3 natural it has been running great. I put a clutch and a tranny in it last month. What a pain it has a 5 speed with a hyd pto. In any case I have an exhaust leak now. And a sound I had never herd before. A popping or woffing sound out the exhaust. It stated to really bug me so I checked it out on number one cylinder I have a broken valve stem. I ordered a set of heads and all the gaskets. Can anyone give me some insight on what the heck I'm getting in to. Like what do I need to do to remove the heads? Any tips or tricks? Is their anything else I should do while I'm in there like change the lifters, replace the head bolts? Thanks I'm new here and can use all the help I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

When you say you have a broken valve stem, is the retainer, spring and stem under the valve cover and broken off? If so, get an ENGINE!

If the rocker arm broke, just replace that you won't need anything else and shorten your oil changes about 50% or it will happen again.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
The Following User Says Thank You to John_G For this addition to TDG:
Dr_Diesel (07-16-2011)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
John G,
Thanks for the insight the valve spring is not broken, the valve stem is not bent the push rod is fine. When I crack the injector line I get a solid drop in RPM which makes me think I might be ok. I'll be pulling the heads in the morning. I have never had one of these down. I do a lot of cummins, drtroit and cat work. Check this link out. http://2cycle.mtu-online.com/index.p...es/nightingale I have my fingers crossed that I haven't shelled the engine.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Well the good news is their was no damage on the bottom end. Thanks for the insight, tips and tricks. I read lots of posts some of the information was very helpful.. I'd still like some insight on getting it back together. Getting the heads off without a boom truck would have been a royal pain. I did find taking the hood spring hinges off the hood very helpful. I lifted the hood straight up and allowed me better access with the crane. They were still a bit of a pain to break loose.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Damn, I didn't mean a broken valve stem I ment a broken valve guide to many hours fretting about this sound. My head is hollow No wait I think I'm brain dead and need rethink what I write before I post it. I'm going overboard on this thing and doing a complete top overhaul as they would say in the aviation industry. Check out the U-Haul parts store on e-bay lots of 7.3 IDI stuff I found a factory new in the package Glow plug harness for $50.00 and a factory new in the box vacuum pump for $45.00

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode