MY SOLUTION TO FUEL BACKWASH DURING FILLUP - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Ky. horseman, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 2322 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool MY SOLUTION TO FUEL BACKWASH DURING FILLUP

Did this on my truck, 89 f250, and now it fills up great. Here's what i used, 2 hose barbs, 1/2in pipe on one end, and1/2 barb on the other, 2 90 deg. hose barbs,1/2 pipe and 1/2 barb,4 hose clamps, 8ft. 1/2 heater hose, FOUR 1/2in. conduit nuts, and JB WELD. Did front tank first, it's the easiest,reach up on top of tank and remove the tank vent,take the vent valve just removed,and take all of the insides out of it,next,i drilled it out to 5/8in.,take a 90deg. hose barb and file down the threads,so that it fits in the vent snugly,once you've done that remove it and apply JB WELD and install it back,now the vent is finished move on to the filler neck and remove it.On the right side of filler neck,there is a dimple,drill a hole there 5/8in,insert a straight hose barb in the hole,with a conduit nut on the inside and outside of the filler neck,you may have to file the hole some to screw in the barb fitting,on the nut on the inside of the filler neck,just run it down even with the end of the hose barb,apply JB WELD to the threads on the outside of filler neck,then run down conduit nut on outside and tighten snug,apply JB WELD over nut and remaining threads.Let JB WELD set overnight,next day,put hose on barb on vent,and clamp it,install vent back in top of tank.Reinstall filler neck on truck,now connect the 1/2in. hose to the filler neck.IMPORTANT MAKE SURE HOSE RUNS DOWNHILL TO TANK NO SAGGING,OR YOU WILL CREATE A TRAP AND IT WILL NOT VENT.I used some zip ties to secure,front tank is now done. Back tank is same procedure,except for you have to lower the tank to get to the vent. Hope this helps some others,sorry about the way it's written up,computers aren't my thing,better at wrenching.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ky. horseman For this addition to TDG:
Nx2 (12-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Anybody tried this yet,it's working great for me.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Nx2

I know this is almost a 3 year thread but i have this exact same issue and was wondering how i can vent air, without risking fuel spill if i roll it or something. I will be trying this probably this weekend on the front tank. I JUST had the rear tank out to clean it and get it operating and just installed it back in the truck so i probably wont be taking that one out again anytime soon.

Before i start this, i want to make sure i understand your post to the fullest. Essentially, you're just connecting the breather hose from the vent on the top, to the filler neck so it can vent air while you're filling fuel, but when you have the fuel cap on, it turns into a closed system?

1993 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 7.3L IDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode