Steering - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Spanky636569, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1758 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
spanky63

Steering

I have a 1992 ford f350 and it has a steering issue. The truck turns to the left with power steering but has no power steering to the right. I jacked the truck up and tested the steering it turns fine left and right with no weight on the front end but once the weight is there forget it. I checked the steering components like the idler arm, bal joints, etc. and all seem to be working freely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM

Sounds like it's time for a new/rebuilt steering box.

'94.5, 5spd, 202k miles, Baby Swamps & Swamps tunes, Swamps IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B AF, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, gutted EBPV, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend

Garage
Couldn't this just be the power steering pump too, not the gearbox? In which case simple as hell to rebuild as long as you have the propper pulley puller. Used to do these in about 20 min at uhaul.

03 f350 7.3l x-tend cab 2wd
& 1993 F-350 7.3L CREW CAB 5SPEED

SINGLES#63
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin350 View Post
Couldn't this just be the power steering pump too, not the gearbox? In which case simple as hell to rebuild as long as you have the propper pulley puller. Used to do these in about 20 min at uhaul.
I have to prefice this by saying I've never experienced any problems outside of normal wear and tear or slop, but from my reading the problem rules out the pump because it's continuous - does not ocsillate between right and left, so the only thing left is the gear box. There are some valves in there which have a tendancy to go.

'94.5, 5spd, 202k miles, Baby Swamps & Swamps tunes, Swamps IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B AF, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, gutted EBPV, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
spanky63
Threadstarter

Thanks all

I replaced the steering gear box thinking that was the issue since it was fine to the left but not the right. Then the power steering went out completely. Well come to find out I did replace the steering gear box and found that it was just the pump. Damn the gear box was hard to replace by myself. The valve the high pressure line plugs into went bad.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky636569 View Post
I replaced the steering gear box thinking that was the issue since it was fine to the left but not the right. Then the power steering went out completely. Well come to find out I did replace the steering gear box and found that it was just the pump. Damn the gear box was hard to replace by myself. The valve the high pressure line plugs into went bad.
So it was the pump and NOT the gearbox? If that's the case, sorry for the misdirection, but glad you got it fixed.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
I'd wager a stuck internal poppet valve in the steering gear caused a shock load to the pump fracturing the vanes within the pump rendering it useless. Your earlier described symptoms of having power assist one direction, but not the other has nothing to do with the pump which is a positive displacement type unit. I've seen this happen several times and it takes both assemblies to cure the problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
spanky63
Threadstarter

Hi again

I was wrong it was both the gearbox and the power steering pump. I had to replace both before I got any power steering back.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
I was wrong it was both the gearbox and the power steering pump. I had to replace both before I got any power steering back.
Great to hear you have it repaired. Sure can be a headache at times and yes, that steering gear is difficult to change by oneself.

If you installed used or reman parts, I'd run the unit for a short bit of time, remove the hydraulic fluid line on the return to the pump, then cycle the steering gear from left to right (with wheels off ground) to expel the fluid into a bucket. Some pumps will back drain by themelves, and some have a fluid check in the return line so you may have to start the engine for about five seconds to drain the fluid sump. Reconnect any hose(s), and refill with fresh fluid allowing a couple of minutes to fill before starting the engine, start engine, cycle steering and top off reservoir.

There is a lot of heat buildup within a power steering system and the fluid is generally neglected just as automatic transmissions, and drive axles are.

On a side note if installing used parts; Look very closely at the splines on the sector, (pitman) shaft the steering arm attaches too. If there is any deformation to the splines as evidenced by twisting, you'd be best served by replacing the gearbox again before that shaft breaks causing loss of steering control. Some Ford pickups, (especially diesel 4X4's) are prone to shearing this shaft off clean from curb, or road impact to the left front wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode