Fuel question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by N/AF-350, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1228 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Powerstrokin350

Fuel question

I'm pretty sure I need to replace my fuel filter as I've seen some fuel dripping from it, but my question is that I noticed fuel puddled on top of my filter housing, could that just be from my filter and being pushed up there by air, or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Not having any info as to the truck model, year or engine size it's hard to say. But if you're seeing fuel dripping AND/OR on top of the unit, I think you better see if the seal and cap is worn / cracked. Diesel, you have a problem. Gas, you have a potential safety issue for you and/or the truck at a minimum.

There are ways to extend oil changes, but fuel is another animal all together. For either gassers or diesel fuel, it is very important to change the filter when it's due. If at the very least, if your mileage says it's time since the last change out, 'change it'.

Jim

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty S06 PoD, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec 727DD, 285 x 70 x 17 MT

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Garage
FUEL PUDDLING

I had a similar problem on an 1989 F350 w/7.3 N/A IDI. Fuel ON TOP of the filter header. secondary fault was hard starting. The fuel heater is the first element mounted to the header. The electical heater protrudes through the header via a hard rubber extension which contains the electical lead connector. The rubber deteriorated and under pressure from the lift pump allowed fuel to escape. during periods of standing idle it allowed air to enter the system causing the hard start.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 AM

That fuel got collected and dried up i guess.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Garage
maybe that truck got sold?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM

and if the trouble still persisting, the drip will wet all again and there will one more post saying of collecting and drying it .. haha
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:05 AM

why to go on the flukes as post # 2 in the order will help in this regard and one having the similar rouble must consider the read there
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM

Garage
The original post stated that fuel was on top of the filter, not dripping off of it. The fuel heater electrical probe is on top and consists of a rubber seal pressed into the header allowing the electrical connection on TOP of the filter header. If the rubber seal leaks, then the fuel is on top and can be observed with the engine running because this area is under pressure while the engine is operating. Once the engine is shut down, fuel trying to drain back to the fuel tank eventually causes the pressure area to become a suction area and breaks the prime to the filter. Once air finds a way to the pressure site of the system with the engine stopped, the siphon action starts it can drain about one third of the fuel from the filter. On the next start the engine will fire, run for a few seconds then stall for lack of fuel. After several start attempts the lift pump will once again fill the filter and the injector pump will purge the air in the injector lines for the engine to start. The fuel/air leak will still exist at the top of the fuel filter for fuel to collect on top while running, and air to enter will not running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode