Coolant leak passenger side near firewall!? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by shamrockranch, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 5783 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Coolant leak passenger side near firewall!?

Ok so I went from having glow plug issues and two non working circulating heaters (https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=135401) to a massive coolant leak somewhere near the firewall on the passenger side. I'll post some pics here in a bit. 1994 7.3 IDI factory turbo. It's gushing when you step on the throttle and it's a steady stream at an idle (a quart in twenty minutes I'd say). The truck has sat parked in very cold weather for the last three weeks to a month without being plugged in. Before the cold snap I never had any issues with coolant leaking at all. I did have a tire place install a circulating heater and I'll take a photo of that as well, however that is not where the leak is, but that is a new variable. I haven't been able to start this truck since I dropped it off with them to have the circulating heater installed. After burning up a set of glow plugs, I finally got a new set in and got the truck fired up and, kaboom, she's gushing coolant. Any help trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. I've had a blown head gasket in a 6.0 liter but that was more of a oh god look at all that white exhaust sort of a thing. I don't see any white exhaust at idle or when you step on it--a little black smoke when you stomp it but nothing abnormal. I saw a post somewhere somebody mentioned the EGR hose. I don't know what the EGR is, much less where it's located, nor what it does. ALl help is greatly appreciated as I'm suddenly up SH** creek without a paddle and never seem to have good luck with used trucks. lol, best to keep a good sense of humor about these things. Pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockranch View Post
Ok so I went from having glow plug issues and two non working circulating heaters (https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=135401) to a massive coolant leak somewhere near the firewall on the passenger side. I'll post some pics here in a bit. 1994 7.3 IDI factory turbo. It's gushing when you step on the throttle and it's a steady stream at an idle (a quart in twenty minutes I'd say). The truck has sat parked in very cold weather for the last three weeks to a month without being plugged in. Before the cold snap I never had any issues with coolant leaking at all. I did have a tire place install a circulating heater and I'll take a photo of that as well, however that is not where the leak is, but that is a new variable. I haven't been able to start this truck since I dropped it off with them to have the circulating heater installed. After burning up a set of glow plugs, I finally got a new set in and got the truck fired up and, kaboom, she's gushing coolant. Any help trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. I've had a blown head gasket in a 6.0 liter but that was more of a oh god look at all that white exhaust sort of a thing. I don't see any white exhaust at idle or when you step on it--a little black smoke when you stomp it but nothing abnormal. I saw a post somewhere somebody mentioned the EGR hose. I don't know what the EGR is, much less where it's located, nor what it does. ALl help is greatly appreciated as I'm suddenly up SH** creek without a paddle and never seem to have good luck with used trucks. lol, best to keep a good sense of humor about these things. Pics soon.
Sounds like the heater core gave up the ship to me.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Or one of the coolant lines going to the heater core. Make sure the clamps are tight on those lines.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Aimless Wanderer

At the bottom of the air box is a hose fitting facing down. Some had rubber hoses attached, some not. This is the condensate drain for the air conditioner. If it's leaking from here the heater core is bad and the coolant is running out of the condensate drain.

With the engine running grab and move the heater hoses around to see if you can force the leak to show itself. It could be something as simple as a loose hose, (as Dave mentions), a broken fitting, or the heater core bad as I've mentioned.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the help. It seems like the hoses going into the heater core are OK. I suppose I'll have to dig in tomorrow to see what's actually going on. Actually about 6 weeks ago, when temps were well below zero--like -25 at night and a high of 0-- I did notice what smelled like a severe exhaust leak coming through the vents when I had the heater on. However, it only lasted for a day or so and then the problem seemed to just vanish. When I looked under the hood I didn't see any evidence of an exhaust leak. Could this somehow be related to the coolant leak?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockranch View Post
Thanks for all the help. It seems like the hoses going into the heater core are OK. I suppose I'll have to dig in tomorrow to see what's actually going on. Actually about 6 weeks ago, when temps were well below zero--like -25 at night and a high of 0-- I did notice what smelled like a severe exhaust leak coming through the vents when I had the heater on. However, it only lasted for a day or so and then the problem seemed to just vanish. When I looked under the hood I didn't see any evidence of an exhaust leak. Could this somehow be related to the coolant leak?
Although I can tell the difference between the two odors I've talked to folks in the past whom have lost a heater core and thought it was an exhaust leak in diesel pickups. Take a look at the inside of your windshield; is there a film there that is not normally? Take a couple of swipes in one area with a clean cloth and then look at the edge of the wiped area and the non wiped area. A film is a sure bet the heater core is bad. Also look at the passenger side floorboard under the dash. Some F series like to leak down the back of the firewall and soak the underside of the carpet.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

all evidence suggest the heater core. Anyone know of a thread detailing how to swap one out, or a guide of some kind?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ore-fun-2.html

This seems like a good enough start. I'll give it a try and possibly put up some photos along the way. diesel garage rocks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode