7.3 IDI died after fuel filter change, and Hello :) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lar45, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 855 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

7.3 IDI died after fuel filter change, and Hello :)

Hi everybody, Glenn here in central Arkansas. Used to be in Idaho, but moved here a few years ago...

I've got a 94 7.3 IDI Turbo 4x4 CC automatic with 240k miles on it.
The truck had been sitting for a couple of years, but a new neighbor needs a truck, so I'm going to sell it to him. We put 2 new batteries in it and it fired right up.
He changed the fuel filter, fired it up and drove down the road, the fuel filter light came on and it died and won't start back up.
somebody cranked on it for quite awhile and the batteries are way down, so we're charging them over night and will hit it in the morning to see what's wrong.
My guess is that it's a fuel shut off thing, maybe a wire got pinched or pulled off or ???

I looked at all the fuses, but didn't see any blown.
What voltage am I supposed to get on the injection pump fuel shutoff solenoid?
Can I put a 12v jumper wire on it to see if that's the problem?

Any ideas on where to start and what to look for?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks much.
Glenn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Just a quick update here.
The guy kept trying to start it(while I was not there) and toasted the starter and melted one of the battery cables. I hope the 2 new batteries are not damaged.

I've been using the search and reading lots of posts. From what I've read, it probably has air in the injector lines. I asked if he put fuel in the new filter before he put it on and he said yes. But I'm guessing he didn't know it needed to be. So once I have the starter replaced, I'll just crack each line until it gets fuel and hope it fires up then.
I put a 12v jumper onto the fuel shut off solenoid and it clicked, so I'm assuming it's fine.

There seems to be quite alot of starter options out there in a wide range of prices. The Motocraft was $333, and rebuilt ones around $150. Are any of the rebuilt ones worth having?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in