Okay, I have a big fan. Now what? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lonesome7.3, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1147 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonesome7.3
Okay, I have a big fan. Now what?

I plucked this from a local salvage yard today for $35. I am not sure what year car it came out of because it was so badly stripped. I do know it was a Texas State Trooper car though. How it made its way into a Ga salvage yard I will never know. But anyhoo, I saw the exact same sect up on two 1998 Lincoln Mark 8’s earlier in the day. So I am assuming it is from that time frame. I grabbed the wiring and cut it at the harness. I also got the temperature sensor. Unfortunately that part of the harness was missing. So I could not get that connector. I also grabbed all the relays because I do not know which one controls the fan. I took the lid from the fuse/relay box because I was hoping it could tell me which relay did what. The only problem is I need an owner’s manual to decipher it.

Now for the fun part. I want this to fit and work in my wife’s 1996 F250 with a 351 gasser. The kicker is I have to have it installed in one shot. So I need to know what else I require for the install. I know I have to make some brackets but that “should” be simple. What else is necessary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 PM

Have you considered an aftermarket controller? I used one from Advance Auto on my old Jetta Diesel. Just a thought, Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I did not know one from the aftermarket would work with a stock fan. Thanks.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I think I jumped the gun. I am thinking this is the fan I should have gotten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan_on_Rad_Front.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	26286   Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkVIII_Fan_Front.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	26287   Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkVIII_Fan_Rear.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	26288  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 AM

That box with the wires going to it is basically a control module for the fan speed, it also acts as the relay. Im not sure any of these setups used a relay for a power circuit, but they were wired direct/hot through the red wire into the module. The PCM controlled the ground through the module with the smaller wire (blue or red/orange). Some of these modules had a 2 speed operation and some were variable speed ( I think )

Anyway you can cut out or bypass the module and use the 2 wires black and red going directly into the fan for a constant high speed op. You can wire in one of those bigger relays for control, or even go to a parts store and get a heavier duty one. The temp sensor will not do you any good because is does not act like a switch to control the fan, but its a variable input to the PCM to tell it how hot the engine is, then the PCM controls the fan speed through the fan module with a pulse/width-modulated ground.

I think they used that particular design with the module around 03 and up ( not sure ) the earlier year C-vics had a static 2 speed fan using 3 wires, 1 power wire for low, 1 power wire for high, and 1 common ground. Kinda looks like the build date code on the module is 02-08-06?

My motto: Be nice, be polite, but have have a plan to kill everyone that you meet.

94 F250 IDI turbo, auto 2wd.. ATS housing, 3" down, 4" exh, guages. 104k miles got totalled by a damn mustang (parts now).

98 12v, 4x4 quad cab. auto with BD T/C & V/B, Banks Big head, Exh brake, AFC modded, 16.5ish*, KDP gone, 60lb springs, 4K-GSK, BHAF, pyro, trans, and boost guages. 4" straight pipe,

72 AM General M35A2, LDT465-1C "Whistler" Turbo, PTO winch.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

There are three wires coming out of the box and the fan. Two are larger than the third. I hooked the two larger ones to an 18V battery from my drill and the fan kicked on. I sure do appreciate everything you just told me. However I do nto undertsand soem of it. Thsi is my first time messing with something like this. Can you dumb it down a bit? What is it I reuire for the fan to operate as it was intended by the OEM?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 PM
off to another home

Thanked 1,365 Times in 1,112 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SSpeeDEMONSS
looks like a decent fan. pretty similar to my taurus fan.

Garrett

BRING BACK THE OLD TDG!
oh well, i have a map to the darkside

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I wnet to a friends place today and was telling him about the fan issues I am having. He said "well take a look at this". And sitting on a barrel was another fan but with out the box and reervours mine has. We hooked it up to see if it ran and it does. it is alos a two speed and has the same mounting positions and diameter as the one I had.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Sounds like the other one you found was what they used before they came out with the module controlled one in the first pick. The second fan you have used 2 relays 1-high, 1-low and shared the ground.

The first fan with the module is basically a variable speed ( controlled by module via pcm/ground ) The pcm could ground the module for high speed, or pulse the ground intermittantly for variable speed. This function works much like the A/C blower motor would on automatic temp controlled vehicles.

My motto: Be nice, be polite, but have have a plan to kill everyone that you meet.

94 F250 IDI turbo, auto 2wd.. ATS housing, 3" down, 4" exh, guages. 104k miles got totalled by a damn mustang (parts now).

98 12v, 4x4 quad cab. auto with BD T/C & V/B, Banks Big head, Exh brake, AFC modded, 16.5ish*, KDP gone, 60lb springs, 4K-GSK, BHAF, pyro, trans, and boost guages. 4" straight pipe,

72 AM General M35A2, LDT465-1C "Whistler" Turbo, PTO winch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

How do I get the first fan to work as it is intended with out the PCM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode