Finally doing my 08 Leaf Spring Conversion - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TxFireman1972, this thread has received 20 replies and been viewed 6593 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Finally doing my 08 Leaf Spring Conversion

Well I finally found someone to build the conversion hangers for me to put 08+ leaf springs on a 99-07 model truck. My parts should be in tomorrow, will probably be next week before I get started. For anyone that didn't catch any of my old thread, I'll try to answer a few questions ahead of time. The main advantage of the conversion is In 2008 the F-250/350 received a longer rear spring that increased payload capacity as well as increasing the ride quality greatly. The 08+ leaf spring is 8" longer than the 99-07 leaf spring. A disadvantage of the 99-07 leaf spring is that the axle is not centered on the leaf spring. In other words, from the axle to the rear spring mount is 8" longer than it is from the axle to the front spring mounts, which adds to the axle wrap problem. The 08+ spring adds 8" to the front of the spring which puts the axle in the center of the leaf spring where it belongs.

First step will be to mount the spring hangers. They are designed to be set against the frame and use an existing bolt hole on the frame to line the hangers up correctly. Once they are lined up, its time to drill some holes. The hanger also takes into account the emergency brake cable, and is built to keep it functioning properly. I'll be posting pictures and adding to the write-up as the project progresses. In the meantime, here is a picture of what the hanger looks like. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need more information.

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4
PMF Rear Leaf Spring Conversion w/2011 Leaf Springs
20" Harley Wheels 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
ARP Studs & EGR Delete from PowerStrokeMagic w/GearHead Tunes
Amp Research Steps, MBRP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hangers came in. I took a couple of pictures. I put a drink can in the picture for size reference. These things are big, well built, and heavy. Almost 25 pounds each!!!

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4
Amp Research Steps, MBRP

The Following User Says Thank You to TxFireman1972 For this addition to TDG:
fordsuperduty01 (06-16-2010)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well I wanted to get everything installed today but it didnt work out that way. One of my pistons on my rear passenger side brake caliper shattered, so I spent the day installing a new rotor, caliper, pads, and a ton of brake fluid lol.

Anyway, while I had the passenger side jacked up and the tire out of the way I went ahead and installed the passenger side 08 conversion hanger.

Here is a pic of what it looked like before I started:

There is one existing hole on the frame for lining the bracket up. Basically the bracket goes up and against the bottom of the frame, and butts right up against the front of the factory hanger. Here is the existing hole:

I went and bought some grade 8 bolts, 3/8" by 1 3/4" long (about 5/8" of shoulder on the bolt), and nylon lock nuts and flat washers to go along with them.

Once I slid the bracket in place, I put a bolt through the hole on the bracket that matched up with the existing factory hole, and bolted snugged it down. Then I drilled out the highest hole (number 1 in the picture) and snugged it down. I used the 3/8 bit and drilled the frame wherever there were holes on the new bracket. I just drilled it a little to mark my spots, the took the hanger off to drill them completely. I used a 3/8" Cobalt bit and some cutting oil and it was a piece of cake. Just remember to keep that bit lubed. Here is a pic of the holes once I had them all drilled.

Then it was just a matter of putting it in place and bolting it all down. Would have been SUPER quick if the stupid muffler wasn't in the way. It makes things hard to get to. Anyway, here is a picture of it all bolted in place.

And a bottom view:

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4
Amp Research Steps, MBRP

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Lurking

Looking good,they should work great!

-Sean-

04, crewcab 6.0 superduty fx4 sport, DR10.5 lift,22" rims,40" TOYO'S,black on black,AFE II si intake,MBRP 4" exhaust, no cat,no muff,ORU traction bars,ORU hydro assist,4.56 gears,ARB rear locker,power locker up front for snow driving,MAG HY-TEC diff and trans covers,velvet ride shackles,SCT by innovative ,GROVER train horns with 1/2" line's ,7 gallon onboard air set up with quick connect,AUTOMETER gauge's,McCulloch HID's 6000K,ARP studs,coolant filter....
EGR delete and Trusted performance oil/fuel delete,crossover fuel lines with fixed orifice,spearco intercooler,banks cac tubes,cfm big mouth and Airdog II,with custom ss braided kevlar hose from tank to heads....
FICM 58 volts from SWAMPS,moderate flash by ID....

built by diezel, (except gears by chris at ORU)

Riding High Club #33
Singles Club #239
Ridin' Dirty Club #48
American Club #37
Bomb Squad #36

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

We'll see lol

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4
Amp Research Steps, MBRP

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Contain the BTU's...

Looking forward to the driving test! Kit appears to be very well made.

Wekiwa

Several 04, 05, 06, and a few 07 6.0's
The toy: 05 CC 4x4 SB HD with a few changes.

You only get one chance to provide good customer service the first time. If you do, your customers may tell a few people about you. If you don't, a dissatisfied customer will tell everyone they know and some they dont about you!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
off to another home

Thanked 1,365 Times in 1,112 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SSpeeDEMONSS
when is it going to get finished?

Garrett

BRING BACK THE OLD TDG!
oh well, i have a map to the darkside

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Man I was tied up all weekend with Birthday and Father's day stuff . Hoping to get back on it Wednesday.

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4
Amp Research Steps, MBRP

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

OK, I got some work done on the driver's side today. I was working against mother nature and I wasn't winning. Plus it was IPhone 4 Launch day so I had to go take care of that!!!

Anyway, I did get the driver's side hanger installed. Here are a couple of pictures of how it started before I touched anything:

The parking brake cables had to be unhooked. This is on my 2005 model, I believe the early models may be a little different. What I did is go to where the cable goes through the body mount under the drivers door. I pulled slack on the cable (as much as I could) and then clamped it behind the body mount with a pair of vice grips, which keeps it from going back through and leave slack in the cable to allow it to be unhooked.

Here is a picture of where the cable goes through the body mount:

Here is a picture of it clamped off to allow the slack:

Once it was clamped off, I went back to where the passengers rear brake cable and drivers rear brake cable come together along the frame just under the rear door. Here is a picture of where they come together:

Just forward of that is a coupler that you can unhook to separate it from the main cable:

Next step is to unhook the metal bracket from the drivers side cable. The plastic fitting that goes through the bracket has little clips that you just squeeze or push in with a screwdriver:

Once thats unhooked, then unhook the cable that goes to the pass side by sliding it out of the bracket:

I did drop the fuel tank, just to give myself some more room. Its not hard at all and definitely makes things easier to get to. Once the tank was dropped, I unbolted the plastic mount that holds all of the brakelines and fuel lines so I could pull them away from the frame to keep from hitting them with the drill when I drilled through the frame.

Here's the bracket that holds the lines:

After that is was basically the same process as the passenger side. There is one hole already on the frame that you use for alignment. So you just slide the bracket up against the frame, put the bolt in the existing to alignment it properly. Then I just used my drill bit the go through the holes on the bracket and drill just enough to mark the spots to drill. Then I removed the bracket and drilled all of my holes.

Here's a picture after the holes were drilled:

Then I put the hanger back against the frame and bolted it all down, and re-ran the parking brake cables.

The passenger side cable goes through the lower hole on the rear of the hanger, passes through the hanger, then comes out of the front hole on the hanger and has to go through the body mount bracket. When it passes through the body mount bracket it has one of those plastic fittings with the little clips that holds it in. Here is a picture without the hanger installed so you can see the body mount bracket I'm talking about:

Here are the two cables:

Then they just hook back up, just like they were before starting.

Here is a final finished pic of the hanger mounted, bolted in and all brake lines hooked back up:

I'm hoping this weekend I can get the leaf springs pulled off, the 08 leaf springs installed, and mocked up with blocks to figure out exactly what size traction block I need so I can get them ordered.

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4
Amp Research Steps, MBRP

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Excellent write up with very good pictures. Did you have the brackets fabricated or did you buy from a company?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode