Ipod, Blue Tooth, Navigation Head unit - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Levi'sford, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1753 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Ipod, Blue Tooth, Navigation Head unit

I'm looking at Pioneer and Kenwood head units that contain Blue Tooth for phone, Ipod, and possible Navigation. I have a portible Garmin, but am thinking it might be nice to have it all in one package. Anyone have any input on the navigation for either unit. I like that Kenwood uses Garmin as I am used to the features and layout. Not sure who Pioneer uses, but it seems comparible. The salesman said the Pioneer unit comes with more info on the Nav. Are they are updatable? Anyone more durable? Thanks for any info. I haven't done any stereo stuff for a while. Thanks, Levi

2015 F350 Platinum, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.55, FX4, B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Riderites w/ compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 AM

find the unit youre looking for at crutchfield by displaying units that ONLY
meet the search criteria that you desire.

remember that PIONEER is the only manufacture that has a "bus" that allows you to
ADD ON any device <now or in the future> !

Don R.

'04 350 4WD Lariat Crew Longbed (built 05.04)
-------------------

-------------------

Gear Vendors Dbl Overdrive Install w/ Pics.
135 Amp Alternator Upgrade/Replacement
50 Gal. Aux Tank; Pump, Filter, Wiring
Truck Audio,
CUSTOM Valentine One Install - LINK
$10 Grill Mod. (protects the coolers) !

Block Heater Cord (Rear Mounted w/ Timer) - LINK

REALTIME -CURRENT DIESEL Pricing <HERE>
The Following User Says Thank You to bushpilot For this addition to TDG:
Levi'sford (07-26-2010)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Pat M Send a message via Skype™ to Pat M
As does all of Alpines product with their AI Net. I was a big Kenwood liker not lover back in the day then swiched to Alpine. Have been using their nave starting from the 751 to the 851 to the new built in units. My F250 is using an IVA-W200 and the wifes Ex got the IVA-W505 unit with built in nav. It can route my course from Pelham, NH to Los Angeles in about 30 seconds. NavTek is the software provider and has been for years. It has an iPod dock either with a USB cable or you can get the iPod cable that goes in directly which I haven't found I needed since I can watch the movies on my iPhone on the 505. The only quirk that I have is the Bluetooth for the phone. It doesn't seem to give you great audible but then again what do you want from a microphone. Never found one that worked before and don't think you will get a great audio quality using the sound system with it picking up all noise around you with the microphone.

03 F250 Oxford White SC, 4" ProComp spring lift, Alpine IVA-W200, a/d/s P4100 & P4100.2, a/d/s/ 335is, a/d/s/ 336is woofer, JL Audio 10W6, Fisher 8' MM1 plow, 4 150watt KC's, Magnaflow 3 1/2" DP w/4" exhaust and no cat.

03 Excursion EB, 4" ProComp spring lift, RandyEllisDesign light bar w/4 150watt KC's, BVG luggage rack, Alpine CVA-1005, a/d/s/ P850.2, a/d/s/ 336im, a/d/s/ 336is, JL Audio 10w6, AFE intake, Magnaflow 3 1/2" DP w 4" exhaust and no cat.

Xtreme Audio & Video
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 AM

which is my point...pioneer has offered P-BUS <add on capability> for nearly 20 years.
rather than keep up grading the head unit, i just move it to the next vehicle and ADD on
what ever the new feature is (for 100 bucks or less)...mini-disc, cd changers, XM, Sirus,
HD Radio, Ipod (digital), and the head unit provides FULL control and display/read out

kenwood hasnt made anything worth buying in many years.
alpine is comin' back (but they milked their name for too many years).
sony is cheap garbage & they try to lock you into proprietary crap, that theyve created & no one else is licensed to support

look at the specs and features (crutchfield lets you do side by side comparisons) and
buy something that allows you to UPGRADE for the future.

dont even BOTHER w/ the amp in a head unit, theyre terrible in spec.

Don R.

-------------------

-------------------

Truck Audio,

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
dont even BOTHER w/ the amp in a head unit, theyre terrible in spec.
If I had a $1 for everytime someone said to me. My had unit is 45watts x 4 I could pay for my new truck now. Alot of people don't understand that 45 watts is peak to peak and and when you are all said an done you have a whopping 12 watts of NOISY, DIRTY,FILTHY,FULL OF DISTORTION power. Ya that should really drive those 6 1/2" seperates real good.

03 F250 Oxford White SC, 4" ProComp spring lift, Alpine IVA-W200, a/d/s P4100 & P4100.2, a/d/s/ 335is, a/d/s/ 336is woofer, JL Audio 10W6, Fisher 8' MM1 plow, 4 150watt KC's, Magnaflow 3 1/2" DP w/4" exhaust and no cat.

03 Excursion EB, 4" ProComp spring lift, RandyEllisDesign light bar w/4 150watt KC's, BVG luggage rack, Alpine CVA-1005, a/d/s/ P850.2, a/d/s/ 336im, a/d/s/ 336is, JL Audio 10w6, AFE intake, Magnaflow 3 1/2" DP w 4" exhaust and no cat.

Xtreme Audio & Video
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I did read that the MSN that Pioneer uses will no longer be available. This would be handy on trips or pulling trailers through cities. I have traffic for my Garmin, and it has saved me some time on a few occasions. I do like the pioneer unit, but don't like that some of its nav software will be obsolete after 2012. What do you mean about the amps. Won't an aftermarket head unit have more power than the stock unit? I want to replace the stock speakers too. Any suggestions. Was thinking component as they sounded better in the store. Maybe and amp and subs later, but not that into that anymore. Just a little better than stock. Hard to hear the radio over the straght pipes. Honestly the blue tooth phone is most important. Nice to talk on the phone and have both hands on the wheel. I don't like the hands free stuff, nothing fits right or seems to work well. Nav would be nice, but I do have a Garmin that works fine. I still listen to CDs, but can put everything on my shuffle that I've used like 5 times in three years. Thanks guys, appreciate the info. This is all new to me, it's been almost 10 years since I've done any aftermarket stereo stuff.

2015 F350 Platinum, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.55, FX4, B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Riderites w/ compressor
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 AM

I am not that familiar with the Pioneer stuff. I have never used it in my own vehicles but have installed it in other clients cars and that is as far as it went. As for the amount of power that is in these head units there is not enough to run a set of aftermarket speakers cleanly and efficiently. Even though they rate the amps at whatever foolish # they do it doesn't mean squat. Those numbers are inflated. Kind of like the MPG's of the new diesels. If you want to effectively and efficiently run a set of aftermarket speakers especially a set of good quality component speakers you will want a good quality aftermarket amp. There will be a debate on what is good out there but it is everyone's own feelings.

As for handsfree and bluetooth. The way the Alpine works. It is a handsfree system. Once your phone syncs to the radio you basically use the microphone that comes with the radio and then built in processing of the radio. It will automatically come up on the screen who is calling you. It will sync all of your phone contacts. You can either answer the call using the handsfree option or pick up your phone. Also once the phone rings it automatically mutes the radio and will not come back on until the call is finished. The one thing that I don't like is that I can hardly hear the caller on the other end no matter what I do with the volume or make any adjustments. Also when I use the microphone that comes with the blue tooth kit everyone complains about road noise. Heck everyone complains about road noise when I use my blue tooth earpiece.

As for the iPod isn't the shuffle just a 1/8" mini jack that plugs into the headphone piece? Atleast that is what my old shuffle was like. Both my wife and I use iPhones and we plug it into the USB port on the back of the radio. Full control through the radio and it will also charge your phone.

Hope this helps.

Xtreme Audio & Video
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi'sford View Post
I did read that the MSN that Pioneer uses will no longer be available.
its not pioneer thats ending it, its MSN...and in typical MSN fashion
they were trying to compete against BETTER and more popular technology.

MSN provided "real time" traffic overlays for gps mapping.

XM radio provides REAL TIME traffic overlays AND weather/satellite
overlays to the GPS mapping...if you wanna pay for it (per month, its
well worth it !) The weather overlays are amazing, (expensive yes) but
impressive none the less.

Quote:
This would be handy on trips or pulling trailers through cities. I have traffic for my Garmin, and it has saved me some time on a few occasions. I do like the pioneer unit, but don't like that some of its nav software will be obsolete after 2012.
you can do just as good a job w/ a "smart phone" (blackberry/iphone/droid, etc) all the traffic information for metro areas is FREE <via web site>...
set some bookmarks on your phone and periodically check them as you
travel toward the metro areas.

IMO the accident data isnt "realtime" enough for you to react or properly
reroute your trip...especially if youre traveling thru a city/metro area that
your not familiar with.

Quote:
What do you mean about the amps. Won't an aftermarket head unit have more power than the stock unit? I want to replace the stock speakers too.
the amplifiers provided INTERNALLY to 99% of the head units really are
crap, DIRTY <easily distorted & fuzzy noise> that its not worth buying a
unit FOR the internal amp.

you want GOOD <clean> power you plan for and USE external amps.

think about this...JL Audio (among others) makes some of the cleanest
amps available (for reasonable prices)...and im speaking ONLY of the "slash"
series (300/4, 250/1, etc)....those amps are necessarily the largest (physical)
amps on the market, but they are MUCH larger than anything INTERNALLY
to a head unit.

if a manufacture could build a better amp in a smaller package they WOULD.

Quote:
Any suggestions. Was thinking component as they sounded better in the store. Maybe and amp and subs later, but not that into that anymore. Just a little better than stock. Hard to hear the radio over the straght pipes.
thats a contradiction in terms...you want separates cause they sound
better (but you dont care anymore)...wanna bet that the store was
driving those separates w/ an external amp ? the store has LESS ambient
noise than your truck (even w/out straight pipes).

start w/out the amps if you must (we all have to start somewhere), but
do yourself the favor and run the necessary cabling (audio outs) to where
the amps will go (under the rear seats or rear cab wall)...at least you wont
have to remove the head unit later to do it.

Quote:
Honestly the blue tooth phone is most important. Nice to talk on the phone and have both hands on the wheel. I don't like the hands free stuff, nothing fits right or seems to work well.
w/ built in (head unit) bluetooth you can play your music as loud as you
want and NEVER miss a call (the head unit CAN mute and/or auto answer
any incoming call...after you get a ring tone thru your car audio system).

when traveling w/ passengers bluetooth can be good & bad...having a
private phone conversation requires turning off the bluethooth.

the flip side of this is the car audio system become a speaker phone....
great for EVERYONE to be able to talk to grandmom & pop when traveling
etc.

Quote:
Nav would be nice, but I do have a Garmin that works fine.

the in-dash nav stuff is nice, but its STILL VERY pricey....i can buy a
laptop and ms streets and trips for what an in-dash nav system would cost.

streets and trips has free construction updates and w/ a gps antenna or
interfaced to and OLD gps (i use my 15 year old garmin gpsIII) you get
turn by turn directions along w/ re-routing features, just like a modern
gps.

w/ a laptop & gps you can also have LIVE/Real-time internet access while
moving too.

the laptop isnt as factory integrated (in dash) as a nav system can be
but at the same time it IS removable (to prevent theft).

review the links in my signature for photos and ideas on amps, gps &
laptops.

many of us travel w/ our laptops and already OWN laptops so its a matter of
being able to use / re-purpose something we already own.

the laptop also provides LARGER screens for view/nav as well.

Quote:
I still listen to CDs, but can put everything on my shuffle that I've used like 5 times in three years. Thanks guys, appreciate the info. This is all new to me, it's been almost 10 years since I've done any aftermarket stereo stuff.
if the shuffle isnt using a digital interface then its gonna be **** for sound quality.
the headphone output jack on an ipod or shuffle will give you POOR quality (analog) audio
and it will NOT provide song/artist/genre data on the head unit display.

a digital audio interface (usb or ipod) will provide you w/ FULL control & display at the
head unit...advancing/shuffling/searching will all be done @ the head unit w/ a digital
interface (cant do that w/ the audio/head phone output).

Don R.

-------------------

-------------------

Truck Audio,

Last edited by bushpilot; 07-27-2010 at 10:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bushpilot For this addition to TDG:
Levi'sford (07-27-2010)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

My shuffle has both an Ipod to USB and a head phone jack. Good info, now to make some decisions. I did ask the salesman if he was using an amp, and he said no, but you know how that works. Levi

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What do you guys recomend for speaker. Looking and Hertz and Focal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode