22" wheel/tire combo & lowering rear Q's - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mygt8a4re, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1404 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Boost Junkie

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mygt8a4re
22" wheel/tire combo & lowering rear Q's

Im getting ready to order my alcoa classic in 22" w/ shaved rears to keep the wheels even with the rear fenders. Im keeping the front stock height & want to lower the rear about 2" to somewhat level it out w/ the front. I dont want it perfectly level so when i tow my 31' travel trailer the rear isnt squatted lower than the front....SO, I was thinking of running a staggered tire height, 305/40/22 front & 305/45/22 rear. I know it wont look obvious as the rear will be sitting a tad higher so the larger gap will hide the 1" tire difference & this fitment will allow the gap to be a little closer with a short drop. Wanted to hear opinions on this set up....
Next, the rear drop. I have no idea whats involved here. Can somone enlighten me on a kit or procedure for doing this? Will either or both these changes (tires/drop) drasticallly effect my towing? (8k# trailer) I only tow the trailer about a half dozen times a year and dont travel more than a couple hundred miles for the furthest trip. I just want a nice clean street look while still being able to occasional tow when needed....
Iappreciate any input offered!

05' f350 DRW
Mods: ARP head studs, Black onyx HG's, 4" turbo back exh w/ 6" tip, AFE Magnumforce ProDryS, RCD EGR delete, SCT Innovative tunes, Edge Insight w/ EGT probe, CCV mod, Dfuser coolant filter, Amsoil framerail oil filter, GoGo Diesel DD mod solenoid, Springtech drop shackles, Recon smoked cab lights, Recon smoked fender lights, Recon light bar, Smoked tail lights & 3rd brake light, DeVries custom emblems, CAP 7pc billet grille, Archoil AR9100 & AR6200 addatives.
Ford updates: STC HPOP fitting, Blue FPR spring kit, turbo feed & drain tubes, oil cooler, Standpipes & dummy plugs.

I wouldnt have to manage my anger if you would just manage your stupidity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 PM

When I installed my rear 2" drop shackles it only dropped it about 3/4" to 1" at the VERY most.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ Krueger View Post
When I installed my rear 2" drop shackles it only dropped it about 3/4" to 1" at the VERY most.

thanx for your input. so what would you recommend? im just trying to drop the rear a bit to get closer to the front height but still want it a tad more high than the front as i mentioned, so it doesnt "bulldog" when i tow my trailer....are rear shackes the best way to lower the rear? will it hinder towing? thanx again!!

05' f350 DRW
Mods: ARP head studs, Black onyx HG's, 4" turbo back exh w/ 6" tip, AFE Magnumforce ProDryS, RCD EGR delete, SCT Innovative tunes, Edge Insight w/ EGT probe, CCV mod, Dfuser coolant filter, Amsoil framerail oil filter, GoGo Diesel DD mod solenoid, Springtech drop shackles, Recon smoked cab lights, Recon smoked fender lights, Recon light bar, Smoked tail lights & 3rd brake light, DeVries custom emblems, CAP 7pc billet grille, Archoil AR9100 & AR6200 addatives.
Ford updates: STC HPOP fitting, Blue FPR spring kit, turbo feed & drain tubes, oil cooler, Standpipes & dummy plugs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

why not just go to a smaller block in the rear? it should be either 2" or 3.5" i think so if its the 3.5 go down to the 2, if its 2 go down to a 1...

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanx 6l, I thought about the blocks but unless im wrong my non 4x4 dually has 2" from the factory wich will only give me a 1" drop at most. Ive heard a couple horror stories where the short blocks have cracked when towing. The one thing I do like about the shackles is the geometry once installed pretty much remains the same, or so I've heard......
Just to note, on a flat surface my trick currently stands (ground to bottom of fender lip) at 35 1\4" front and 38 3\4" rear. So you can see how I want a minimum of 2" prefferably 2.5 to 3.0 though......
I really appreciate all the input guys!

05' f350 DRW

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygt8a4re View Post
thanx for your input. so what would you recommend? im just trying to drop the rear a bit to get closer to the front height but still want it a tad more high than the front as i mentioned, so it doesnt "bulldog" when i tow my trailer....are rear shackes the best way to lower the rear? will it hinder towing? thanx again!!
Get the leaf spring hangers from DJM, there are 3 holes and each one drops about a inch. My rear end is set on the middle setting.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Garage
thanx EJ, so can you use hangers by themselves w/o the drop shackles? that would be great....

05' f350 DRW

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygt8a4re View Post
thanx EJ, so can you use hangers by themselves w/o the drop shackles? that would be great....
Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to EJ Krueger For this addition to TDG:
mygt8a4re (08-22-2010)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Garage
Not sure if anyone is intersted but it may be good for anyone running across this thread in the future while doing a search on lowering thier superduty. You will need to adjust your pinion angle 6* when doing a hanger drop but no adjustments when adding the shackles. So if you looking for a couple inches of drop w/o the need for any additional adjustments to get your rear geometry correct just do the shackles......

05' f350 DRW

The Following User Says Thank You to mygt8a4re For this addition to TDG:
plainredtruck (08-24-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode