Rear Vibration - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by budman1239, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 4927 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Rear Vibration

Hey guys,

I have a really bad vibration coming from the rear end. I only feel it when I turn corners and only after I drive for awhile. It seems like its worse if I'm on the hiway travelling straight and then slow down and turn. I also notice it more when I pull my 5th wheel or car hauler trailer and only when Iím turning. It almost feels like the rear end is locked up. I tried turning at low speeds and it does the same thing. It also does it in reverse and I feel it when I'm back up into a campsite at low speed.

The truck is a 2003 F350 SRW 60000 miles all stock. It's only really used to haul my trailers.

I can get an almost new rear diff from a buddy with a Tag on diff S132G 10 10 2 2L06 for free. Will this fit if I need to replace the diff?

Maybe its time to try a new 6.7!!

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Sounds like the limited slip is locking up. Can be also affected by a bad driveline angle if the truck is lifted. But in your case I would first drain the diff and inspect the fluid. See if there are any abnormal amounts of metal or chunks of debri in the oil. If all looks ok, then refill with a good GL-5 diff fluid. Can also add a small bottle of friction modifier too. Also make sure your u-joints are in sound order on the driveshaft. As for that diff number you gave, not sure, would have to do some research. You want to make sure its the right ratio especially if its 4wd, and the right housing so everything fits. Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
budman1239 (08-27-2010)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks Harry

I'm going to change the rear diff oil this weekend and see if there's any noticeable debris or damage. I did check the ujoints and steady bearing but all looks good and tight. Other guys with similar posts on here said it was the steady bearing causing the vibration. I might change it out see if it makes a difference.

The truck does have rear airbags but it doesnít really change the angle too much.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Your welcome Budman. You may be on the right track, as my truck had the same symptoms as yours after it was lifted, was locking up around corners, had to add some more shims to the center driveline support bracket. So if your center support bushing or bearing is worn, could be the cause on your truck. Good luck and let us know your outcome. Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode