Question about Banks Vs. Edge - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by AggieFX4, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1230 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to AggieFX4
Exclamation Question about Banks Vs. Edge

Quick question guys and gals. On Bank's website, they claim that they test all of there equipment past the vehicles threshold (ie.-Motor, Tranny, gears) and then back it off just a little in order to leave a "blanket" for safety. Now, by doing this they claim that their six-gun with a speed loader or PDA, pushing 138HP/231TQ on their maximum setting, WILL NOT exceed the limits for that vehicle, thus preventing damage. Now on the other hand, the Edge Juice Platinum with the Attitude claims that driving on levels 4 or 5, making 90HP/200TQ on level 4 & 125HP/240TQ on level 5, will most definitely cause severe drivetrain damage without upgraded torque converters and/or trannies? Edge's horsepower rating on level 5 is less than that of Bank's claim on it's level 6, and the torque rating for Edge is only an additional 9 ft/lbs. of torque. So how is it that Banks can run more horses to the engine making about the same amount of torque as Edge, without harming the drivetrain? Now I realize that adding power to a stock truck will in fact cut the trannies life down by some, depending on one's driving habits. However, for one manufactuer to mention that driving in levels 4 & 5 WILL damage the drivetrain and for the other to say that they haven't even exceeded the limits for that vehicle is beyond me. Any input before I choose one over the other would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 03:23 PM
fordt

My guess is that they claim it may harm the drivetrain in 4&5 just to be safe. I had a 6-gun w/speedloader for about 80k miles on my 2003 6L, I ran it on 3 the whole time, and 5 and 6 now and then. When I got rid of it, at about 90k miles you could feel the tranny starting to give up. If it were between the 2 I would go with the Bank's Six Gun.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:05 PM

Lots of us bash Banks: , but they are a well designed and safe power upgrade to the 6-liter:Thumbup: . If I had to chose I would agree Banks over Edge! But give the SCT a try first! Tadd at ATS has some very nice tow programs and one called Tadds insanity:evil: ...

Lets just say my sister-in-law wont let me drive there truck now:evil: :Thumbup: ...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
FordT, What did you think of the 6-gun? Did you use the PDA for it? Another topic I wanted to throw in the origanal post was head-bolts. I have been told that on the 6.0L, when increasing horsepower more than 50 additional horses you run the risk of stretching the head-bolts and blowing a head gasket. This particular performance shop informed me that he has seen this several times before on the 6.0L Power Strokes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 10:54 PM

you can stretch the headbolts with a factory tune in the truck. and then theres trucks like genes that make 650rwhp on factory bolts and gaskets. it hit or miss from truck ot truck, but if youre adding more than 125hp, i would definitely look into studs. 50hp, i wouldnt bother. its a pretty time and money consuming mod...

05 f350 crew cab long bed, 10.5" rize, deaver rears, bilstein 5150s front and back, 38x15.50x18 **** cepek mud countrys, 18x9.5 pro comp 1023s clearcoated, 4.56s, pml diff covers, rize ladder bars, rize dual stabilzer with bilsteins, adj. trac bar, amp reasearch steps, doug tuned sct, airaid with zoodad, 5" straight pipe, fluidampr, welded egr, shimmed regulator, isspros, viair 480c with nathan p3, husky mats, marathon seat covers, uws toolbox, uws 100 gallon transfer tank w/15gpm pump, uws dog box

01 f150 supercrew, 33" mud grapplers, stock, for sale $13,000

05 brute force 750, snorkeled, lifted, 29.5x12 outlaws front and back, black type 7s, intake, hmf pipe, moose, asr tie rods

06 raptor 700se, 734cc, 10.75:1, cammed, intake, ported/polished, yoshi pipe w/ fmf header, power commander, 15t front, yfz shocks, 20" holeshots, soon to be 770 stroker...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 11:04 PM
fordt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieFX4
FordT, What did you think of the 6-gun? Did you use the PDA for it? Another topic I wanted to throw in the origanal post was head-bolts. I have been told that on the 6.0L, when increasing horsepower more than 50 additional horses you run the risk of stretching the head-bolts and blowing a head gasket. This particular performance shop informed me that he has seen this several times before on the 6.0L Power Strokes.
I can just say my experience. I had the 6-gun before the PDA was available, in fact I was told I had been sold one of the very first 6-guns on the market, I had to wait for it to come available after paying for it I liked the 6-gun, have no complaints about it. I had no engine trouble out of that 2003 6L with 6-gun. On my 2005 I went with the SCT, there is a BIG difference in tunes, form people that don't know what they are doing compared to people that do. I know SCT is not the answer for everyone, but you can't go wrong with any of the SCT dealer's on this site! Neither truck has had studs in. You were told right, anytime you add more power you are increasing the risk of tearing something up.:Thumbup: Let us know what you decide:Thumbup:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 03:37 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #44

Send a message via AIM to 6point6 Send a message via MSN to 6point6
I would go banks over edge, even thought the banks is over priced in my opinion. GO SCT and never look back!

2006 CC FX4 PSD 6.0 (GONE)

2005 LLY Duramax CC SB 4x4 - PPE Hot +2 ET on Level 8, MBRP 4" Straight piped Exhaust, PPE Intake, 315 Cooper STT's on stockers!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:25 AM

Trans Control. SCT has it, Modules don't. But hey, what the hell do I know. :Thumbup:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
If I choose to go with the SCT, can I have a program written for safe power? My number one concern is safe power. I don't have the time for tranny or converter upgrades because I use my truck for work everyday. With that being said, I do desire more power. How much HP & TQ do you guys recommend in order to have a respectable gain in power but not too much so that I overload the tranny and drivetrain? You would you guys recommed for custom tunes? I have heard a lot of great things about Jason B. and John Woods. What do you guys think?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Oh, almost forgot....and I really don't want to run the risk of stretched headbolts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode