F-250: Spare Tire Carrier Help Needed - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Catch-All, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 3704 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
F-250: Spare Tire Carrier Help Needed

I own an F-250 2000 7.3L Super Duty Crewcab - Lariat model.

I had a recent blowout on the highway of the right rear tire. The POS Uniroyal tire's belt shifted, it began a slight wobble and BANG! its entire tread surface de-lammed at 70mph. Dang near wrecked the truck. Got Ol' Blue under control and got off the shoulder to assess the damage.

-right rear tire blown
-lug "hubcap" disappeared
-fender well all dented and bent up
-fender well flap lining & support shredded
-spare tire carrier damaged (found this out when I went to change the tires)

Closeup of Spare Tire Carrier's anti-theft doohickey

The Spare Tire Carrier would uncrank sorta okay, allowing the tire to be lowered. But no way on earth will it crank back up. I reckon the cable slipped the drum inside or something.

I unbolted the Spare Tire Carrier from underneath, hoping to disassemble the unit and repair it. But it appears to be riveted or swaged together. Plus, you can see the cable is shot anyway.

So I went online and found a place that will sell a Spare Tire Carrier for about $80.

HERE'S MY QUESTION I NEED HELP WITH: See the anti-theft doohickey in the pics above? Do I somehow need to remove this from my old Spare Tire Carrier and install it on the new one or does the new carrier come with the anti-theft doohickey, including the male part to mate up with the female part attached to the carrier?

Side note: all four Uniroyal tires were defective and Uniroyal gave me a weeks-long runaround despite all the tires clearly being under warranty and had all the documentation & receipts they demanded. I finally gave up and bought four new Bridgestones. Better ride, better mileage, cheaper price. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER UNIROYAL PRODUCT NOR ANY MICHELIN PRODUCT (PARENT COMPANY)

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

Catch-All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Here's a wider view of the Spare Tire Carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode