The Diesel Garage banner

Power Steering leak

908 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  hcr400ex 
#1 ·
Today while walking out to my truck I notice a nice puddle under my truck, I looked at it and immediately thought oil, and was ready to throw a match in the gas tank, but then under farther inspection it looks like the seal on the power steering right above the pitman arm. Has anyone ever replace one of these? It looks like I'd need one hell of a puller to get that arm off, and am not sure I want to tackle this job myself. I am no expert mechanic but I am learning alot by owning Fords. Do you think I could do it myself, or should I just take it to a shop? Any one know a good place to get Ford parts?

#2 ·
Well I guess I got even more problems now. I stopped by a friend's(mechanic) house to see what he said about it, pop the hood and see some smoke coming from the back of the engine. Valve cover is leaking oil, but atleast it is on the driver's side and shouldn't be hard to fix. Then while looking down at the steering box he points out my cracked serpentine belt. Finally he looks at the steering box and tells me that I'll probably need a whole new gear box. He said he wasn't sure if they make rebuild kits for it. Does anyone know about rebuild kits?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.