Looking at 1985-1993 NA diesels - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by staarma, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 563 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Looking at 1985-1993 NA diesels

I might be in the market for one of these trucks. 250/350 RC or EC with auto or manual trans 4wd. Should I be looking for anything other than the obvious? Only Fords I've owned have been Powerstrokes. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 AM

ill sell ya mine!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbup: :Thumbup:

trent
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Why would you consider selling yours? Got any pics?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I be Architect'n

You will want to ask about the SCA's in the coolant and maintenance history for it.

Anything over 150k miles will probably not need, but want, an Injector pump, injector and return fuel line replaced. Around $700 if you do the work yourself for the whole system.

Pull the oil fill cap while its warm & running and see how much blow-by it's got

The early E40D are pretty sensitive if worked hard and not taken care of. If it has a 5'er or ball in the bed and no tranny cooler, ask the person about the history of the tranny.

Glow Plug systems can be tricky until you've got your mind rapped around how it works. Glow plugs will mushroom in the head if they are not Beru's, not always but there is the risk.

The IDI's require some type of fuel additive w/ Low Sulpher Diesel to keep the IP and injectors alive.

Other than that the IDI's are pretty rock solid and make good power, not snap your neck from whiplash power, but haul just about anything you'll ever want to @ 50mph power. They're also really forgiving of alternative fuels.

Look for a 93 or 94 turbo model, much better power and economy than the non's

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks. BY alternative fuels do you mean WVO, used motor oil, etc?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:46 PM

yea im thinking about gettin rid if mine cant really afford it anymore..its a 90
F350 4x4 with brand new 33 kumho venture MT runs great other than the tach quit working i think its the sensor on the IP cover i have been told havent looked into it much its been sitting a while..used to have a plow on it just got rid of it recently...put a lower mileage..not new IP this winter so it is ok now.. before i bought the truck it used to have a fifth wheel in the bed but no longer does the trans seems the shift good and everything i have changed the fluid in it twice since ive owned it.. it has brand new 3'' flowmaster exhaust from the crossover back with a 4'' stainless tip.. and i just put on new front fenders and core support so the front fenders are a mis matched color..and i also put a newer cab on it last summer so its a few different colors but doesnt look real bad.. but any other questions let me know the only pic i have is from myspace i hope it works let me know if it doesnt..thanks

trent

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...eID=1282427947
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I be Architect'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by staarma
Thanks. BY alternative fuels do you mean WVO, used motor oil, etc?
Pretty much all of the above. If it's filtered good enough and is viscous enough to get through the fuel system the 22:1 compression will pretty much take care of the rest.

I personally have only used WVO & Biodiesel

Also, f250's are the TTB front end and F350's are solid axle, dana 60 I believe. I've never had trouble w/ my TTB other than paying a little more for a front end alignmet.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:49 PM

How about a GM 6.2? If you're not planning on workin' it, these engines are inexpensive to maintain and operate.

'12 F350 CC DRW KR, with some stuff
'13 Redwood 36FL

Gun Control means using both hands.

"I can sum up the clash of religion in one sentence:
My Invisible Friend is better than your Invisible Friend." Anonymous
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I've owned three 6.2's and 2 6.5's. I just wanted a little tougher truck and a little more grunt. But I don't want to pay too much. It would just be for the mountains and hauling stuff I don't want in my Dodge. I had a 1988 F-350 but it had the 460 in it. It was a tough truck though. It had the D80 rear and D60 front. If I chained it up I could pretty much go where I wanted to. The 460 wasn't a nice option though so I sold it. I probably shouldn't have though. Now I want another truck just like it only with the IDI in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode