500+ Horsepower - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 250stroke, this thread has received 36 replies and been viewed 2458 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 250stroke Send a message via MSN to 250stroke Send a message via Yahoo to 250stroke
500+ Horsepower

Aright I've got a few questions. This may be a bit early in the game But I just wanna know what I'm lookin at for prices/parts etc. What I want to do is build a 500-550 hp daily driver/ ocasional sled puller. I'll stop right there and ask, Is that even possible and still have a decent amount of reliability?

I want to drop the E40D and run either the ZF 5 or 6 speed, perferably the 6 for larger input shaft and obvios extra gear. So besides the obvious what would you do, Heres what I was thinkin for the engine build itself.

Rebuild and have balanced to 5k,
Lower compression ratio to like 15 to1
studs
fire rings
pushrods
springs

Is ceramic coated pistons and stuff worth it and How about the factory forged rods? a 2-3k dollar set of rods seems like a bit much, Ive heard of cryo treating them but can only think of 1 person who did it.

Now, will 250cc hybrids get me there. If so will just a SD pump push them there? Im also keepin my eye on this new diesel site pump. I could maybe go for compunds but would like to go with a single mainly due too price difference. Would a 6.0 CAC work or should I get a better one? And last but not least could I still tow a jeep on a single car trailer, If i had to guess maybe like 5k lbs?

I know its alot of questions But i just want to think it through and make sure I've covered everything. So feel free to give your thoughts, opions, and expieriences.:thanks:

2004 F-250 Crew-cab XL 2wd 83000 miles . 4" straight pipe.

10/97 F-250, 180k on the clock, 4.10 gears, Autometer gauges,DIY intake, 3.5" down pipe to 4" straight , ATS 6 position chip, 37" BFG Baja T/A's and 24 bolt Hummer H1 wheels. 1 ton axles and custom suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Supporting Vendor

It seems like most people going for 500+ seem to be heading down the B code injector road w/ "Big oil". I have BD's w/ 0.008" extrude honed 7 hole tips. I haven't dynoed this combo yet but I can tell you that it smokes pretty much all the time, not real bad but it hazes and with my single stack that ends up on the drivers windshield directly behind me. I can also tell you that if you move the go pedal more than an easy push it will definetly put some smoke out.

As for rods if you put all the money into building an engine the logic seems to be just put the rods in. There have been people that make over 500 w/ spray that have done that on factory rods!

Dockboy makes over 500 w/ the stock intercooler, so the 6o should work.

15:1 might be a little on the low side for compression.

D2 Hi-Performance
www.d2hiperformance.com
Proud to be a sponser of THE DIESEL GARAGE.COM!
(586) 709-2271
(586) 949-3234

Our rides
Dave P's Truck: 2002 CCSB 6.5" ProComp lift w/ 5100 Bilsteins, Crower Rods, Balanced rotating, coated rod and main bearings, ARP Head and Main studs, Fire Ringed, ported heads, machined and coated Mahle pistons, AFE stg II, Stealth pumps, BD's w/ 0.008 EH tips, D2HP Inconel exhaust valves, D2HP custom pushrods, Custom HX50 bolted to Hmax pedistal, Suncoast Comp trans, Detriot Electrac's front and rear, D2HP transfer case and 1 piece 4" Al driveshaft.

Dave D's Truck: 2002 ECLB Built Ford Tough Package 6" DR lift kit, Bilstein 5100's, 36x15.50R20 MTZ's on 20x10 114 Eagle's, Randy Ellis Bar w/4 8" Stainless ProComp 130W Lights, Custom tunes from DP Tuner, 05 Harley front end, D2HP transfer case and 1 piece Al driveshaft.

Becky P's ride: 2002 Limited Excursion, DVD, heated seats, TS and DP tunes, Edge Juice & Attitude, Dual exhaust, Bilstein stock replacments, AFE.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to 250stroke Send a message via MSN to 250stroke Send a message via Yahoo to 250stroke
Thanks, I wasnt to sure at the CR it was kinda a shot in the dark I've heard as low as 13.7 to 1 or somewhere around that. I just assumed that lower CR means less Cylinder preasure etc.

I thought about B codes but they require big oil and such. Plus you haft to buy them all new. which puts a large price tag on the build. But on the other hand if i ever wanterd to go up from there Id be covered in that area.

10/97 F-250, 180k on the clock, 4.10 gears, Autometer gauges,DIY intake, 3.5" down pipe to 4" straight , ATS 6 position chip, 37" BFG Baja T/A's and 24 bolt Hummer H1 wheels. 1 ton axles and custom suspension.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 AM

Here is what we are doing on Jodys recomendations for my daily driver/work truck.

Qssb turbo
530 injectors with 7 thousands nozzels
big oil
new heads, fire ringed
studs
built tranny

We are expecting to see between 500 and 550 HP

Will be done right after Thanksgiving so if you are not in a big rush I can give you some better input.

I have forged rods, and we are not going to touch the bottom end at all. If it grenades, at least I'll have all the top end stuff already.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Trust me Im in no Hurry at all, Itll take me a while to save up cus I want to do a lot of driveline stuff first aswell. Looks like thats another for B codes.

How many Miles are on your motor now? Maybe I'll just do the same, it sure would save alot of money

Nvm I see now 76k thanks!

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 AM

Sorry I haven't up dated my sig lately. There is 107 on it now. I do about 750 miles a week so it doesn't take long.........

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 AM

If you need a 5 speed to swap in there I will trade you the parts cause I want an auto in mine. Shoot me a PM if interested.

03 6.0L Excursion < Sold
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
I'd say go to about 16:1 on your comp ratio and call it good. Once I got my engine broke in it started good in the cold mornings without it having to be plugged in all the time but is a bit lower than the stock 17.5:1 to help relive some of the stress on the bottom end. It smoked like crazy and didn't start very well when I first rebuilt it though. Until the rings got seated the compression was a little to low.

If all you are going for is 500 then get yourself a good set of hybrid injectors and get a 17° hpop. H2E turbo or maybe a QSSB but it seems I've heard of some guys haveing QSSBs go south on them but don't quote me on that. A good chip and programming are going to be needed as well. I know Dave at DI does a good job with tuning and I hear great things about Jody at DP tuner as well. You will need a new electric fuel system as well. Save your money it's not going to be cheap.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

OH yeah I'm well prepared to spend money. It will be a while before I can start and it took me long enough to decide what i really want lol. I need to finish up my heep, its practicaly done then Imma start with drive train stuff first I believe.

I have a H2E with the larger Housing (19cm) People were telling me it may be laggy but do you think it would work. I was gonna buy the kit to put it in but its stupidly expensive and I have enough faith in my fab skills to get it in myself. I just lack in knowledge of chargers themselves and what combos would work best.

As for the fuel system I already go tone picked out :Thumbup: Programing I was thinkin at the most a 2 pos chip to keep it simple. Like a tow/ecno that stayed around 400/450 and then an extreme setting or w/e.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:54 PM

i made 550hp #2 only with hybrids and stock hpop so its definatly possible. I would recommend just getting .010 lower comp mahle pistons and being done with it. Stock head gasket with good h-11 studs and since you already have an h2 send it off to bean and have it modifed. Chromoly pushrods and comp cams beehive springs would also be a good idea, if ya have the money main stud and balance the bottom end. Then of course good tuning, i prefer TW but he's obviously not the only good tuner out there.

in short here's what i recommend-
bdp hybrid h2e
bdp 238cc hybrids with .010" 7 hole nozzles
mahle lower .010 lower pistons
forged rods (unless you want to shoot drugs, then add billets)
arp main studs and bottom end balance
h-11 headstuds
chromoly pushrods and comp cams springs
Since you have an obs truck id highly recommend Tony Wildman, IMO he's the best tuner for these trucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode