HID lights - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kkibbey, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 717 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

HID lights

ok guys,
I have been looking at HID's, anyone got any info on them? i am thinking about getting the 6000k or the 8000k I dont want it to be too blue/purple but still look good and have clean light, anyone got them/have any recomendations about them? there a lot of money and just still not sure if its worth it.....

kk

2005 RED 6.0 PSD ext.cab LWB 4x4 t-409 MBRP 4", AFE Pro Guard 7 MEGA , RANCH HAND full replacement Front and Back, DR 4.5" lift kit, line-x extra, recon smoked, SCT extreme street:smoke:
pictures

2001 yellow jeep wrangler 6" skyjacker lift 2" body lift 36x14.5x15 swampers

1999 7.3 BLUE 4 door LWB PSD 4x4 SCT tune from DP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 03:12 AM

they are definitely worth the money, the light output is FAR greater than standard halogen bulbs. however, if you get the real blue or purple hued hids, your regular lights will almost work better, in the rain especially. the light reflects off the road, it doesnt illuminate it! 4300k hids are the way to go, definitely not higher than 6000k. ive had literally over 20 sets of hids in the last 4 years, and nothing works better than a 4300k philips bulb with a reputable ballast- problem is itll cost north of 500. they are the same tint as halogens, but they appear whiter because theres so much more light. im very pleased.

05 f350 crew cab long bed, 10.5" rize, deaver rears, bilstein 5150s front and back, 38x15.50x18 **** cepek mud countrys, 18x9.5 pro comp 1023s clearcoated, 4.56s, pml diff covers, rize ladder bars, rize dual stabilzer with bilsteins, adj. trac bar, amp reasearch steps, doug tuned sct, airaid with zoodad, 5" straight pipe, fluidampr, welded egr, shimmed regulator, isspros, viair 480c with nathan p3, husky mats, marathon seat covers, uws toolbox, uws 100 gallon transfer tank w/15gpm pump, uws dog box

01 f150 supercrew, 33" mud grapplers, stock, for sale $13,000

05 brute force 750, snorkeled, lifted, 29.5x12 outlaws front and back, black type 7s, intake, hmf pipe, moose, asr tie rods

06 raptor 700se, 734cc, 10.75:1, cammed, intake, ported/polished, yoshi pipe w/ fmf header, power commander, 15t front, yfz shocks, 20" holeshots, soon to be 770 stroker...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 AM

Mikey, I sent you a p.m

Black 2005 F350 CC Fx4 Lariat 6.0 Torqshift, Fabtech 8" 4link lift, 37x12.50 20 Toyo Open Country on 20x12 Black Fuel Hostage, Quad 120, X-monitor, Muffler delete, Acetoned badges, Permatech liner
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:15 AM
jet ski racer

What brand is good to use? I've seen all kinds out there but I am wondering what the quality is like? For my truck it has the 9007 H/L bulbs on it and on the systems that I have seen the part number is XXX9007H/L does this mean when I replace the 9007 halogen with the HID system I will only have one level of lighting or will there be 2?

03 F350 Centennial
Mods: BFG 285/75/16 AT KO,Removed factory running boards,All windows tinted,Zoodad mod,Harpooned, Cobalts gauges:0-60 boost, Trany,
EGT
Pull
05 37 KZ Sportsman Sportster
World Champs 04 Kawasaki SXR 800 ltd ski. :evil:

get into "thedieselgarage.com"
Can you keep up?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym
they are definitely worth the money, the light output is FAR greater than standard halogen bulbs. however, if you get the real blue or purple hued hids, your regular lights will almost work better, in the rain especially. the light reflects off the road, it doesnt illuminate it! 4300k hids are the way to go, definitely not higher than 6000k. ive had literally over 20 sets of hids in the last 4 years, and nothing works better than a 4300k philips bulb with a reputable ballast- problem is itll cost north of 500. they are the same tint as halogens, but they appear whiter because theres so much more light. im very pleased.

are these just kits, or are you doing modifications to the pattern. how bad are your hot spots and how bad is there glare abover where the cutoff of the beam of a true reflector or projector hid systems? i was very interested until i found the only quality way is to do a retrofit kit which would require lots of cutting and mounting new stuff and obviously much more money into the system itself. i would love to see some beam pictures when the truck is level on a wall or something flat at about 25ft away. If you can do that that would be awesome.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 10:12 PM

oem quality stuff (philips, sylvania, denso) is gonna be your best option, unfortunately theyre HIDs only come in 1 base, a p42. a philips, sylvania,etc. 9007, 9006, etc bulb is nonexistent, so dont buy into that. personally, i have taken p42 based philips bulbs, and had the base replaced with what i need from a guy here in town, i had gotten the idea from a website. im running 4200k philips bulbs with denso ballasts, denso supplies all the ballasts for lexus, toyota, etc...

eric,

a cheap knockoff kit will throw the beam pattern all over the place. reason being is that the gas capsule in the hid bulb is not in the same place as the filament in a halogen bulb. it drove me nuts, looking at the "V" shaped hotspots in the beam, not to mention all the wasted light. when my friend rebases the bulbs, he makes sure that the capsule is located in the exact spot as the low beam filament on the factory bulb. there is a little light above the cutoff line, but the cutoff is very distinct and focused nearly identical to my factory bulbs.

05 f350 crew cab long bed, 10.5" rize, deaver rears, bilstein 5150s front and back, 38x15.50x18 **** cepek mud countrys, 18x9.5 pro comp 1023s clearcoated, 4.56s, pml diff covers, rize ladder bars, rize dual stabilzer with bilsteins, adj. trac bar, amp reasearch steps, doug tuned sct, airaid with zoodad, 5" straight pipe, fluidampr, welded egr, shimmed regulator, isspros, viair 480c with nathan p3, husky mats, marathon seat covers, uws toolbox, uws 100 gallon transfer tank w/15gpm pump, uws dog box

05 brute force 750, snorkeled, lifted, 29.5x12 outlaws front and back, black type 7s, intake, hmf pipe, moose, asr tie rods

06 raptor 700se, 734cc, 10.75:1, cammed, intake, ported/polished, yoshi pipe w/ fmf header, power commander, 15t front, yfz shocks, 20" holeshots, soon to be 770 stroker...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Still kickin

Quote:
i have taken p42 based philips bulbs, and had the base replaced with what i need from a guy here in town, i had gotten the idea from a website. im running 4200k philips bulbs with denso ballasts, denso supplies all the ballasts for lexus, toyota, etc...
Would your friend be willing to do this for some of the guys here on the garage? I wouldn't mind having the same setup you have with the 6000k bulbs, but the "V" shape I have seen on other trucks kept me from getting them.

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
oem quality stuff (philips, sylvania, denso) is gonna be your best option, unfortunately theyre HIDs only come in 1 base, a p42. a philips, sylvania,etc. 9007, 9006, etc bulb is nonexistent, so dont buy into that. personally, i have taken p42 based philips bulbs, and had the base replaced with what i need from a guy here in town, i had gotten the idea from a website. im running 4200k philips bulbs with denso ballasts, denso supplies all the ballasts for lexus, toyota, etc...

eric,

a cheap knockoff kit will throw the beam pattern all over the place. reason being is that the gas capsule in the hid bulb is not in the same place as the filament in a halogen bulb. it drove me nuts, looking at the "V" shaped hotspots in the beam, not to mention all the wasted light. when my friend rebases the bulbs, he makes sure that the capsule is located in the exact spot as the low beam filament on the factory bulb. there is a little light above the cutoff line, but the cutoff is very distinct and focused nearly identical to my factory bulbs.
Mikey,
whats the deal with the high beams then. are they nixed or still usable? what can you do for brights if they dont work?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:57 AM

we stole the rebasing idea from a guy selling them like that on ebay, yall may want to check there first. i will ask though and see if hed be willing to make a few more sets, and for what price. i have an extra set of 9006s laying around somewhere that he did for me also thatd id sell if i can find.

the high beams are gone. there are 2 types on the market that keep high beams. either the bulb will tilt, or a shield will slide to reposition the beam. my experince says the tilting ones are better, however neither are great. youll get better performance out of a good set of single beam hids with a good auxillery pencil/driving light used as high beams. as an alternative, just aim your headlights up just a touch in between lows and highs, and just make do- i did this with my navigator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode