Custom (homeade) lift questions??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rockpsd, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 825 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Custom (homeade) lift questions???

Heres the simplified version of what I would like to do:

X springs and mini spring pack up front
FactoryF350 blocks in the rear

Heres my thoughts and questions?

I have heard that the x springs will give about 1.25" of lift. Is this correct? Add in the 2" mini spring pack that should be 3.25" How will this sit with factory F350 blocks in the rear? I would like the truck to sit at most a half inch higher in the back if possible. I definitly dont want the front higher than the back.

Also, it dosent seam like it would be too hard to make a mini spring pack for the truck. I just not sure whether it would be better to use some strips of 1/2" steel or cut up an old spring. Does it need to be a certain type of steel?
Lastly, Im not real sure about the length of the strips that would be needed does anyone have any deminsions on the mini spring pack?

Thanks any imput would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 PM

I had factory X springs on mine. I did the Tuff country lift and had to go to a 5" in the rear to get it to sit like you want.What are you going to do about the track bar drop and pitman arm? What about shocks? You can get a mini pack or a Tuff country lift pretty cheap.
If you are wanting height i think the Tuff country kit might gain you a little more but it is also going to stiffen up the front considerably. Unless you know what you are doing you might be better off buying than making.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:18 PM

If you build a mini pack you should use cut leafs. The whole idea of the mini pack is that it works, somewhat, with the leaf pack. If you use regular mild steel the plates will bend when the suspension flex's up.
The whole idea of the mini pack is that it distributes the load just like the regular pack does. That's why you don't see lift blocks on front ends. They don't spread the load and they are dangerous.
Tony's right, you will also have to consider how to lower the panhard bar otherwise you will ave some knarly bump steer. With that short of a lift you should be able to get away without a drop pitman arm, but it will handle better with one. My truck wondered all over with my 4" lift until I put on the dropped arm.

'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 PM

http://www.putfile.com/ipkyss Take a look. I do not have much bumpsteer at all, not really any more than stock at that. And you will not need new shocks if you do this set up. The shock lenth and shock travel are not changed.

This is with the add a leafs removed

New Ride 08 F-250 CC SB FX-4 6.4 auto loaded job 1, Spartan 310,RCD 485,525, Erics Xstreet,KEM250 DPF delete,downpipe, intercooler pipe, 4" mbrp, timbrens

04 F-350 6.0,auto,SC,SB, 8ft Fisher X-Blade, Hideaway Strobes, XM Radio,Alpine Head unit, X-codes, Edge Mini spring pack, Edge adjustable track bar, 315/75/16 Toyo A/t,Prodigy brake controler,MBRP 3.5" downpipe,5"stacks, powermaxx turbo, Xrace tuned

Old truck-3/27/03 build F-350,CC,SB,DRW 6.0, Auto, Black on black, Blacked out bumpers/ grill, Moon roof, fifth wheel.

old sick, 1/7/03 build
2003 F-350,SC,SB,6.0, 4" lift 37 MT/R
http://community.webshots.com/user/traxx400-date
http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Ford%20F-250/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

hey ipkyss

that is the exact look im going for

let me get this straight thats
x codes
mini spring pack
stock F350 blocks
(I see you do have the adj track bar)
it looks like the truck sits pretty level mabye just a tad high in the back like I want
btw do you get any rub with those 315s with that setup?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Different shocks are for better control of the heavier tire you are going to install. Not for height. The stock will work but not as well as an aftermarket like the Bilstein or the DR signature shock. As far as track bar drop. By doing this it will keep the bar closer to the factory designed angel. If you move the track bar you should also move the pitman the same amount so both bars run parallel to each other.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 PM

X2, agreed

'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 AM

I tried getting new shocks before, but I could not find good shocks for stock height. I got the track bar so i could center the axle nice. I didn't like how the front suspension was bound up by the stock track bar. I know the angles would be better with a dpa and a track bar drop, But i did not see a need for it. This truck has almost 25k with this set up, mostly towing my jeep or 15k work trailer. The truck sits about 3/4" low in the front. And have never had a tire rub anything.

New Ride 08 F-250 CC SB FX-4 6.4 auto loaded job 1, Spartan 310,RCD 485,525, Erics Xstreet,KEM250 DPF delete,downpipe, intercooler pipe, 4" mbrp, timbrens

04 F-350 6.0,auto,SC,SB, 8ft Fisher X-Blade, Hideaway Strobes, XM Radio,Alpine Head unit, X-codes, Edge Mini spring pack, Edge adjustable track bar, 315/75/16 Toyo A/t,Prodigy brake controler,MBRP 3.5" downpipe,5"stacks, powermaxx turbo, Xrace tuned

Old truck-3/27/03 build F-350,CC,SB,DRW 6.0, Auto, Black on black, Blacked out bumpers/ grill, Moon roof, fifth wheel.

old sick, 1/7/03 build
2003 F-350,SC,SB,6.0, 4" lift 37 MT/R
http://community.webshots.com/user/traxx400-date
http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Ford%20F-250/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the replies so far:thanks:

Now does anyone know the deminsions of the leaves (basiclly how long each one is or how long the longest and shortest are).They obviously have to be the same width as the spring so I thinking of trying a junkyard and finding some old superduty springs to cut up.
I know i am more than capable to make one of these packs.

It seams like I remember seeing someone on here who made their own minipack. I would really love to hear from them.
I realize that they are only a couple hundred bucks for the set but I enjoy being able to tell people I made something rather than I bought it and bolted it on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM

Length shouldn't matter since you are cutting them anyway, width will be the only real concern besides center pin diameter. You definetly don't want to have to drill them out. It's no fun drilling on spring steal. I haven't measured mine, but I think they are 3". When I was looking for F150 springs for my wheeler I found tons of 3" ford springs. Actually 4x4 F150's are 3" also.
Good luck and have fun fabin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode