06 F-350 Fuel Tank - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by FOMOGO, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1005 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

06 F-350 Fuel Tank

I have a friend that just bought an 06 F-350 SRW 4X4 long bed. His trip computer tells him 29 miles to empty. His fuel gauges reads below the E. But it will only hold 29 gallons. I know good and well it has the 39 gallon tank in it because I measured it and compared it to my CC SB with a 29 gallon tank. The window sticker even stated that it had a 39 gallon tank.

I think the trip computer or the GEM is programed wrong. I think it needs to be reprogrammed for the 39 gallon tank and it now thinks it has a 29 gallon tank.

Any thoughts or experiences with this problem?

Can you do the Harpoon mod to a 6.0 tank also????

Thanks

FOMOGO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:48 AM

i thought the same thing when i first got mine. it would be empty and it would only take 30 gallons to fill up. however tonight i knew the big tank was there. i hit 0 miles to empty and three miles later she started sputtering right before i pulled in the station. she then took 40.1 gallons. what has me puzzled though is that my meter is reading 14mpg, and is only giving me a 395 miles range, which is inline with a 29 gallon tank! and i just put 40 in it!

05 f350 crew cab long bed, 10.5" rize, deaver rears, bilstein 5150s front and back, 38x15.50x18 **** cepek mud countrys, 18x9.5 pro comp 1023s clearcoated, 4.56s, pml diff covers, rize ladder bars, rize dual stabilzer with bilsteins, adj. trac bar, amp reasearch steps, doug tuned sct, airaid with zoodad, 5" straight pipe, fluidampr, welded egr, shimmed regulator, isspros, viair 480c with nathan p3, husky mats, marathon seat covers, uws toolbox, uws 100 gallon transfer tank w/15gpm pump, uws dog box

01 f150 supercrew, 33" mud grapplers, stock, for sale $13,000

05 brute force 750, snorkeled, lifted, 29.5x12 outlaws front and back, black type 7s, intake, hmf pipe, moose, asr tie rods

06 raptor 700se, 734cc, 10.75:1, cammed, intake, ported/polished, yoshi pipe w/ fmf header, power commander, 15t front, yfz shocks, 20" holeshots, soon to be 770 stroker...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Pursuit Interceptor

Yes you can Harpoon the 06 tanks. I believe the problem is from the foam that builds up when refueling with diesel. What happens is the foam backs-up the fill tube a cuts off the nozzle. Most people will stop refueling but you can add about 3-4 more gallons. Try filling up till you see fuel at the mouth of the tube. I consistantly do this when refueling and the MPG numbers are fairly close each time. I have a LWB truck with the 39 gallon tank and generally get 600 miles to the tank and adverage 15-16 MPG.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Check your odometer agaist a GPS to make sure you don't have the "cheater odometer flash".

Somebody posted that after a flash they had a hugh error in the odometer. I'll see if I can find the thread.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ODOmeter+error

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well the truck is less than 2 months old and has not been reflashed by the dealer or with a performance flash. Its just like it came.

That was a good thought though.

Thanks LargeCar

FOMOGO
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeCar
Check your odometer agaist a GPS to make sure you don't have the "cheater odometer flash".

Somebody posted that after a flash they had a hugh error in the odometer. I'll see if I can find the thread.

I'm thinking out loud here, but to me this seems to be a potential issue when it comes to warranties, namely the mileage restrictions on the warranty. If these vehicles are reading more miles than actually being put on, then one would think that they are being potentially cheated out of coverage.

Am I off base for thinking of this?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. Foxtrot
I'm thinking out loud here, but to me this seems to be a potential issue when it comes to warranties, namely the mileage restrictions on the warranty. If these vehicles are reading more miles than actually being put on, then one would think that they are being potentially cheated out of coverage.

Am I off base for thinking of this?
youre probably right, however im not complaining. ford is getting cheated out of miles on my truck...:muha er :93C_peelo

05 f350 crew cab long bed, 10.5" rize, deaver rears, bilstein 5150s front and back, 38x15.50x18 **** cepek mud countrys, 18x9.5 pro comp 1023s clearcoated, 4.56s, pml diff covers, rize ladder bars, rize dual stabilzer with bilsteins, adj. trac bar, amp reasearch steps, doug tuned sct, airaid with zoodad, 5" straight pipe, fluidampr, welded egr, shimmed regulator, isspros, viair 480c with nathan p3, husky mats, marathon seat covers, uws toolbox, uws 100 gallon transfer tank w/15gpm pump, uws dog box

01 f150 supercrew, 33" mud grapplers, stock, for sale $13,000

05 brute force 750, snorkeled, lifted, 29.5x12 outlaws front and back, black type 7s, intake, hmf pipe, moose, asr tie rods

06 raptor 700se, 734cc, 10.75:1, cammed, intake, ported/polished, yoshi pipe w/ fmf header, power commander, 15t front, yfz shocks, 20" holeshots, soon to be 770 stroker...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Y'all better start paying more attention to the odometers on your trucks. believe it or not they will advance a tenth if the truck just sits and idles long enough.

I know this for fact, as a friend has a 2000 Cobra R that has never left his yard. When he bought it new it was delivered on a rollback and backed into the garage. It had 6 .3 miles on it. He pulls the car straight out the garage about 25 feet and lets it run every couple of months. It now has a little over 27 miles on it..... Pulled out, backed in. he has sat in the car while it ran and seen it click off a tenth, more than once. He had an 02 super duty and saw it click of a tenth sitting at a stop light. He spoke with a personal friend of his who also owns the Ford dealership where he buys all his new cars and trucks. He was told that they all do it. Now finding someone else to admit that may be hard but It has been seen.

Now back to the issue with the 06 fuel tank. there is no problem with mileage readings or indication. It operates just like it has a 29 gallon tank. That is why I think the programing of the GEM module or the trip computer is wrong. It is set for a little tank instead of a big tank. I would be willing to bet there is 8 or 10 gallons of fuel in it when it reads empty.

I will find out in the morning when I hook my NGS to it.

FOMOGO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode