Exhaust Questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Strokin05, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 617 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Questions

I was wondering how nuch of a benefit an exhaust system would be?? Sound wise, performance wise?? I was thinking of just doing a cat back and either gutting the cat or getting a cat test pipe...Right now it just has a muffler delete..truck is all stock and will probably stay that way, except gauges...Let me know I appreciate the help,
Mike

03 F-250 6.0, FX4, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 18 inch Centerline's, 35x12.5 toyo M/Ts, 05 front end conversion with Harley headlights, Cowl hood with silver stripes, upfitter switches, Bilstein shocks, 08 taillights, 08 tailgate, 08 trailer tow mirrors, Recon smoked cab, mirror and third brake light, tinted windows, MBRP SS turboback, no cat, Autometer Cobalts on the pillar... Line-X, weatherguard toolbox..
Western 8" Pro Plus ultra mount, Boss 1100 Smart Hitch salt spreader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:39 PM
TDG MAFIA #94

Send a message via MSN to StrokinSnyd
im kinda new on the sceene, but the thing about the exhaust is that it is there to git rid of the gases from the engine (soot is the best part of it!!). so if you go to adding more power, it is time to upgrade to a new exhaust. the power increase will not be that substantial, the sound... well it is personal preferance. ive heard guys that have just modified the stock exhaust and it sounds better than a new one. a new exhaust is also made to lower exhaust temp. so its your choice. i dont know too much about the cat back exhaust so... well hope this helps!

96 Dodge Cummins EC LB 5 spd big valve springs, full cut DV's, Big sticks, phat shaft turbo....yada yada yada.... plain and simple, it goes fast and pulls whatever
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 03:24 PM

If you're not towing heavy loads and you're not reprogramming for more power than exhaust isn't a huge benefit performance wise. Yes, you will gain a little power, but you've already gained some by removing the muffler.
Once you've gutted or removed the cat then it's going to get louder. If you like that, then great. If not, then an aftermarket system would give you a good flow through muffler that wouldn't hurt performance but would reduce the sound levels a bit and give it a less raspy sound. There is also a muffler that NAPA sells that you can retro onto your stock system. It's a big truck muffler that flows much better and the price is right too.
Exhaust gas temps aren't really a concern for you. In stock form your temps shouldn't get anywhere near dangerous levels.
By your sig I can see you are more into having a good looking truck and not so worried about racing ricers on Friday night. With that in mind that stainless kit in your sig would look really good and of course it wouldn't hurt performance either and cat back would be fine.
If you think you're going to re tune someday, then i'd just spring for the turbo back now.
Good luck and have fun.

'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the info guys...thats what I figured, the truck will stay mostly stock.. It pulls my car and trailer about 8-10 times a summer so nothing to major...I may do a cat test pipe and the cat back..time will tell just trying to gauge the benefits!
Thanks again guys,
Mike

03 F-250 6.0, FX4, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 18 inch Centerline's, 35x12.5 toyo M/Ts, 05 front end conversion with Harley headlights, Cowl hood with silver stripes, upfitter switches, Bilstein shocks, 08 taillights, 08 tailgate, 08 trailer tow mirrors, Recon smoked cab, mirror and third brake light, tinted windows, MBRP SS turboback, no cat, Autometer Cobalts on the pillar... Line-X, weatherguard toolbox..
Western 8" Pro Plus ultra mount, Boss 1100 Smart Hitch salt spreader
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 11:52 AM

You can an affordable Resonator muffler in place of your cat, this will help keep the db's down. Let me know if you are interseted, shoot me a PM.

Same goes for the factory muffler.

05/2009 F350 2WD CC DUALLY EBONY (Inside/Out) dropped 3/5 on 305/45-22 - dubbed "Cat Woman"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode