More stopping power for lifted trucks... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sredish, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 832 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Texas XC Quad Racer

More stopping power for lifted trucks...

Picked up a Vanco hydroboost system recently to go along with my AGR high pressure/volume pump and gearbox. With the pump and gearbox, steering was a lot better with my 38's for sure, and nice and tight. My buddy just bought a new stocker and still thought my truck had better, tighter steering than his, I agreed.

Now, the steering pump puts most of the new pressure to the steering but doesn't help the braking or hydroboost system at all because the ports in the hydroboost are only so big and will only flow so much. Anyone with tires bigger than 35's can relate to the braking on these. The pedal is responsive and starts to brake hard to about 1/2 push, then it kind of goes to the floor with no change, you got what your getting at 3/4 push of the pedal.

Well, I recently replaced my hydroboost with a ported Vanco hydroboost system. Vanco Powerbrakes. Steering is actually a tad better at lower rpms, like idle, but just barely. Braking is now a similar fell from 0 to 1/2 pedal push, but the deeper you go, the harder it grabs. I haven't tried locking them up but it is definitely a lot more responsive and that last little bit in the pedal and chit is flying off my seat into the floor A LOT more when I need to stop the truck. Now, the front end actually dives a little on a hard hard slam of the pedal.

Keep in mind, I'm running powerslots / hawk pads as well, but IMO, the Vanco system probably should've been the first step. What good is a set of rotors if you don't have the pressure to use them properly.

Scott

Black 03 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Shortbed Lariat - studded 6.0, sunroof, MBRP muff-less exhaust, SCT tuning, JW trans, Cobalts, lifted, ProComp Xtreme ATs, 4.56 gears, High-Angle CV Driveline, Warn 15k, AmpSteps, stainless brake lines, Powerslots /Hawk, AGR pump/gearbox/ram, projector headlamps and one heavy foot....

Audio: Kenwood DDX-8017 in-dash TV/DVD/GPS, kickpanel pods, MB Quart 1" tweets/5.25"mids in kicks, 6.5" midbass in doors, rear MB Quart 6x8, Fosgate amps / 3000 watts, 3 - JL 10w6's. Fully Dynamatted and foamed interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 04:12 PM

got any info on your steering setup--price

07.5 duramax
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:09 PM

The best thing I found on my 96 was doing the stainless braided lines. Now when I hit the brakes I can make my 38's come to a screaming halt.

03 6.0L Excursion < Sold
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 PM

i do agree stainless lines do help thats what i had on my last 2 trucks both with 38's

07.5 duramax
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Texas XC Quad Racer
Threadstarter

got those too..

don't remember what the steering pump costs, less than 2 bills. the gearbox, don't remember either but maybe like 3 bills. the gearbox has a lower gear ratio in it to respond quicker and have a tighter feel, plus lessen the pressure on the pump. the pump and gearbox work well together. the vanco hydroboost kind of finishes it all off, allowing the extra flow/volume to move on through the system and help the brakes.

agr's website i believe is agrperformance.com

Black 03 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Shortbed Lariat - studded 6.0, sunroof, MBRP muff-less exhaust, SCT tuning, JW trans, Cobalts, lifted, ProComp Xtreme ATs, 4.56 gears, High-Angle CV Driveline, Warn 15k, AmpSteps, stainless brake lines, Powerslots /Hawk, AGR pump/gearbox/ram, projector headlamps and one heavy foot....

Audio: Kenwood DDX-8017 in-dash TV/DVD/GPS, kickpanel pods, MB Quart 1" tweets/5.25"mids in kicks, 6.5" midbass in doors, rear MB Quart 6x8, Fosgate amps / 3000 watts, 3 - JL 10w6's. Fully Dynamatted and foamed interior.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredish
got those too..

don't remember what the steering pump costs, less than 2 bills. the gearbox, don't remember either but maybe like 3 bills. the gearbox has a lower gear ratio in it to respond quicker and have a tighter feel, plus lessen the pressure on the pump. the pump and gearbox work well together. the vanco hydroboost kind of finishes it all off, allowing the extra flow/volume to move on through the system and help the brakes.

agr's website i believe is agrperformance.com
appreciate the info---- nice looking truck

07.5 duramax
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 06:25 PM
MAFIA #8

Garage
Where is the best place to get the stainless lines that you are speaking of???

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode