Tranny Issues... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 3AE F350, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1074 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tranny Issues...

My 2000 f350 has 101k and I put the Banks big hoss bundle in. Shortly after I noticed 2nd and 3rd gear slamming under hard accelloration. I know the trans command chip increases the tranny fluid pressure with respect to throttle position which explains the slam, but she's slipping... slipping...slipping... SLAM! I expected this sooner or later with the increased power and mileage on the tranny, but I need advice on what to do next. What would you all reccomend? The guy at Banks I bought the bundle from is trying to sell me an over-priced torque converter. I highly doubt that is the answer to my problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:53 PM

How much more power is it?

How long have you been running the new tuning. Often it will take a little driving for the tranny to "learn" the new programing and shift smoothly and properly.

'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Your looking at several differant things, the trans comand is a POS, does nothing more then boost line pressure... and your tranny is slipping and will die soon... What kind of price did he give you? Most good TC's are #1000-$1300...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBALL
How much more power is it?

How long have you been running the new tuning. Often it will take a little driving for the tranny to "learn" the new programing and shift smoothly and properly.
The 4r100 has no learning curve like the 5r... it works or is doesnt... Banks biggest mistake with there chips is not to ajust the tranny programing in the chip, not threw a seperate unit... Its there way of sticking you again... Try pulling the chip and see what happens... If not remove the trans command...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3AE F350
My 2000 f350 has 101k and I put the Banks big hoss bundle in. Shortly after I noticed 2nd and 3rd gear slamming under hard accelloration. I know the trans command chip increases the tranny fluid pressure with respect to throttle position which explains the slam, but she's slipping... slipping...slipping... SLAM! I expected this sooner or later with the increased power and mileage on the tranny, but I need advice on what to do next. What would you all reccomend? The guy at Banks I bought the bundle from is trying to sell me an over-priced torque converter. I highly doubt that is the answer to my problem...

Sounds like you may soon be in the need of a tranny. Before you buy, I highly recomend you talk to Brian at BTS in Lead Hill Arkansas.
I never knew what I was missing in a tranny till I got one of my own.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I put all the goodies in back in september. Its tough because I'm only home two weeks at a time, then gone for a month. I've probably put 1500 miles on it since then. The real strange part is that it doesnt do it all the time. Sometimes it shifts fine. The fluid is still nice and red and isnt burned. Also, the last time I was home, I was driving on the highway (pouring rain all day) 4 hour trip and towards the end it started bouncing in and out of OD. No OD light, no nothing. Just wouldnt stay in OD at about 60-65. I stopped for dinner, checked the fluid and the connections on the trans command (as its mounted on the frame rail and it was raining hard) everything seemed ok. After I ate it worked fine the rest of the ride. Had to go back to work the next day so I didnt get a chance to mess with it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Obviously Intuitive !

is this the first and only tuning done to the truck ???
one owner truck ?
Did it happen to have an Edge on it at any time ?

02/12 f250 CC SB Lariat Ultimate 4x4
dpf filter back mbrp and airlift airbags

05/05 4x4 EB Excursion -gone but not forgotten SCT enabled 1/8th 8.9 seconds....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:01 PM

That transcommand is a bad deal with some pcm cals and some tuning. It will burn the TC clutch. They know that, which is why they are suggesting a new torque converter right off the bat. Try going back to stock and see what you have. Slipping out of OD is differant than slipping @ the shift point. That says pressure to hold the clutches is being lost, possibly by the tuning and Transcomm bumping it. That can rob pressure from where it's needed and cause a slip. 1 reason I like mechancial changes like shift kits and valvebodies and prefer them to tuning. Your directing atf where it needs to be, when it needs to be there.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
1 reason I like mechancial changes like shift kits and valvebodies and prefer them to tuning. Your directing atf where it needs to be, when it needs to be there.
Is it too late for this tranny, or is it worth ressurrecting? Should I continue researching new ones?

I'm the third owner according to carfax, I dont think it had any mods before. It was bone stock when I got it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3AE F350
Is it too late for this tranny, or is it worth ressurrecting? Should I continue researching new ones?

I'm the third owner according to carfax, I dont think it had any mods before. It was bone stock when I got it.
Sometimes a guy comes looking for help and advice and gets a recommendation to buy someones favorite brand instead of tech. Then a chance for useful tech is lost, and an owner has something expensive he might not need and possibly the same problem a few months later.

I wouldn't say it's too late yet. Sounds like you may have 2 valves fighting one another at times. Happens when you boost all pressure and explains the slam in the shift, and the loss of OD while @ road speed. One finally wins and the clutch applies hard because of the extra pressure it took to move the valve. While that fight is happening both clutch packs would be partially applied and binding. The lack of burnt fluid says it's not slipping all the time.

Let me look in the Banks book @ what you have installed tonite. If you can tell me more detail on whats happening when you lose od that will help as well as the 2 & 3 problem. Are you having a slip as in much higher rpm or does it seem to be doing nothing keeping about the same rpm and speed?

Here's 2 photos from the upcoming 4r100 high performance rebuild for the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB050042small.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	7700   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC030039small.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	7701  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode