New bulbs or overlay for 01 X dash - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cdiesel, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 838 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

New bulbs or overlay for 01 X dash

I want to change the color of my dash lighting to match my future gauges. Is it possible to change the bulbs to a different color? Or put in an overlay that would change the color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Texas XC Quad Racer

you can get overlays...

go here and put in your vehicle specs:

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/interior_accessories.aspx

Black 03 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Shortbed Lariat - studded 6.0, sunroof, MBRP muff-less exhaust, SCT tuning, JW trans, Cobalts, lifted, ProComp Xtreme ATs, 4.56 gears, High-Angle CV Driveline, Warn 15k, AmpSteps, stainless brake lines, Powerslots /Hawk, AGR pump/gearbox/ram, projector headlamps and one heavy foot....

Audio: Kenwood DDX-8017 in-dash TV/DVD/GPS, kickpanel pods, MB Quart 1" tweets/5.25"mids in kicks, 6.5" midbass in doors, rear MB Quart 6x8, Fosgate amps / 3000 watts, 3 - JL 10w6's. Fully Dynamatted and foamed interior.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredish
you can get overlays...

go here and put in your vehicle specs:

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/interior_accessories.aspx
Thanks, but I meant overlay as in behind the dash panel overlays. To change the color that comes through behind the factory gauges. I don't want GREEN! Ever heard of anyone making those? I know that Fordforgotten did it with bulbs and overlays. I'm just not sure who makes it all.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 AM

you should be able to pick up those colored bulbs at the auto parts store like autozone or advanced auto parts , heck even those dang ricer websites have those colored bulbs
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:24 AM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thank you so much. This is what I'm looking for. With the right bulbs I think I can get the look I want. Thanks again!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiesel
I want to change the color of my dash lighting to match my future gauges. Is it possible to change the bulbs to a different color? Or put in an overlay that would change the color?
Check this out Daryl has already done this and did a great write up too.... check it out

http://www.forgotton.net/frame.html go to his F350 page!

01 12.5" Icon, OUO Traction Blocks, Dynatrac Prosteer Balljoints, SpynTec Conversion, 40" Toyos, GTP38R, Isspro Guages, ORU Diff Covers, Hella 500s, AMP powerstep, Mini Me's, Heat Extractor Hood, custom paint, and BTS tranny!

New Truck Pics

Iraq War Heroes Tribute Page
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysonw
Check this out Daryl has already done this and did a great write up too.... check it out

http://www.forgotton.net/frame.html go to his F350 page!
That is EXACTLY what I want. My dash being ripped apart for a week or better doesn't sound that great, but I could deal with it to have THAT! I wonder how long it took to do? I saved the link....Thank you so much for that. :Thumbup: I'm thinking of doing exactly what he did....but with all pink. (although the blue is very nice too). We'll see.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiesel
That is EXACTLY what I want. My dash being ripped apart for a week or better doesn't sound that great, but I could deal with it to have THAT! I wonder how long it took to do? I saved the link....Thank you so much for that. :Thumbup: I'm thinking of doing exactly what he did....but with all pink. (although the blue is very nice too). We'll see.
Chelsea,
Do you know Daryl? He lives in Vancouver now, so it's easier to bug him for questions on how he did it! It looks like the cluster just uses #194 style bulbs. Does anyone know for sure? If they are #194's, I would just replace them with colored LEDs (which will last a lot longer than regular bulbs). Unfortunately I don't think we carry PINK LEDs, but we have blue! Do you really want pink for your new gauges? I didn't write that option up in the project spec...

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ISSPRO Engineering Manager

1995 F350 PSD Crew Cab Dually, 271k miles
10 ISSPRO Prototype Performax™ gauges in Pillar & Overhead pods & sitting on dash, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps, Swamps tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
32' enclosed tag trailer with 2 drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tune, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
NRA member and certified firearms instructor, GOA Life member, IDPA member
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Still kickin

Here's a post from him on one of "the other sites". He explains a little about how he completed the dash and other items.

:QUOTE:
The door switches, headlight switch, 4x4 switch, and cruise switches have BLUE LEDs in them.

The dash I removed and used nail polish remover on the BACKSIDE to remove the GREEN color, and then repainted with a blue marker. Same with the HVAC controls.

The AIC I had to order special SMC LEDs to change the buttons from green to blue. I can also do the display if I want to.

The radio is a panasonic DVD player and it has a blue CD load light, but the buttons are green. I think I can change them to blue if I opened it up.

What I have sitting on my bench is new accessory switches that I swapped out the LEDs in, and a blue digitial 5 way airpressure display for my airtank and airbags. Your gonna LOVE those pics when I take them
2000 F-350 Powerstroke Crewcab Shortbed 4x4 XLT Lariat with LOTS of mods.
:END QUOTE:

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode