Hand Shaker fluid report- Royal Purple Synchromax - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kblackav8or, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 3160 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
I do all my own stunts

Send a message via MSN to kblackav8or
Thumbs up Hand Shaker fluid report- Royal Purple Synchromax

I am a owner since new of a 2000 6 speed Powerstroke. I have been on various boards the entire time. At about 20k I replaced the original transmission lube with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It works well but the last 10k it seemed to have lost it's "slick". So being unafraid I have changed it out for Royal Purple Synchromax. I drove it about 80 miles today in mixed traffic. The stuff works great. I believe it is about the same as GM Synchromesh. That stuff is pretty well known as being very good for manuals in the car racing circles. It is what comes in the current Corvette boxes. Any way shifts nice, no clashes, no complaints. I think it is good stuff. :Thumbup:
Kevin

2000 F-250 PSD 6 speed 4x4 Lariat
1959 Kenworth CC 925 NTC-400 5x3 4.10 SQHD's
Myriad of parts and pieces in my garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackav8or
I am a owner since new of a 2000 6 speed Powerstroke. I have been on various boards the entire time. At about 20k I replaced the original transmission lube with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It works well but the last 10k it seemed to have lost it's "slick". So being unafraid I have changed it out for Royal Purple Synchromax. I drove it about 80 miles today in mixed traffic. The stuff works great. I believe it is about the same as GM Synchromesh. That stuff is pretty well known as being very good for manuals in the car racing circles. It is what comes in the current Corvette boxes. Any way shifts nice, no clashes, no complaints. I think it is good stuff. :Thumbup:
Kevin

Actually GM syncromesh is thicker than RP Syncromax. RP Syncromax is an ATF replacement fluid with a viscosity of about 7.7 [email protected] 100F which is the top end of of ATF's 6.8-7.8 cSt range. GM Syncromesh comes in at around 9.0 cSt. And about your Corvette comment. Modern corvettes use ATF in their Tremec/Borg Warner T-56 derived tranny's. Syncromesh hasn't been used in the Corvette since 1996 when they were using the ZF 6-speeds.

With that being corrected. I have heard decent comments about this RP fluid. I prefer to use Specialty Formulation's MTFglide though due to it's EP/AW chemistry.

Hammer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 AM

so what do you guys recommend on royal purple

I was also looking at changing my oil on my 2006 f 250 powerstroke turbo to royal purples stuff. I need to change my motor oil pretty soon. What do you guys think of royal purple on diesels. Thank you
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:33 AM

I had originally used the RP fluid in my manual and liked how it performed. I recently changed out the tranny fluid again. Against my better judgement, I used Amsoil because so many said it was good. I am really dissappointed in how it performs. My tranny does not shift as smooth and makes more noise now. It would have been nice to have a tranny temp gauge to know if one made it run warmer than the other but I did not.

Hammer;

Does Speciality Formula still produce that fluid, I thought they stopped because of no demand? Too lazy to look up the site myself, do you have a link?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrHorse
I had originally used the RP fluid in my manual and liked how it performed. I recently changed out the tranny fluid again. Against my better judgement, I used Amsoil because so many said it was good. I am really dissappointed in how it performs. My tranny does not shift as smooth and makes more noise now. It would have been nice to have a tranny temp gauge to know if one made it run warmer than the other but I did not.

Hammer;

Does Speciality Formula still produce that fluid, I thought they stopped because of no demand? Too lazy to look up the site myself, do you have a link?
I bought 2 gallons last month for my Z06. They are temporarily closed this month because they are moving to a new facility. The website is www.specialtyformulations.com

Hammer
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 AM

Thanks Hammer

I actually found the site and saw that they still sell that fluid. I don't remember where I heard that from but I must have got it totally wrong.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Rww

Red face

How hard a job is changing the tranny fluid? Any write-ups on here? 14,000 miles on mine and its not gettin any smoother. Maybe differant fluid would help?:thanks:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
I do all my own stunts
Threadstarter

Send a message via MSN to kblackav8or
It is easy to change the fluid. Drain plug is at the bottom, fill plug is on the drivers side. Takes 13 pints so buy about 7 quarts. You need a pump or some sort of funnel arrangement to get the fluid up to the fill hole. Other then that it is easy.

2000 F-250 PSD 6 speed 4x4 Lariat
1959 Kenworth CC 925 NTC-400 5x3 4.10 SQHD's
Myriad of parts and pieces in my garage
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
what does not kill you ..

I changed to Amsoil and also noticed more noise. I think I may give the MTFGlide a try. Any down side or a better choice out there.

wftree

1999.5 F450 CC 4x4 315HP/709tq 6 speed with BD short shifter; DP chip: stock, , high idle, 40tow, 80econo, 80 tow, 100, 140,South Bend clutch; ported BB turbo; SPEARCO 6.0 charge air cooler; pop off valve; dieselsite I/C boots; 203 degree thermostat; pillar mounted pyro, boost coolant temp guages; HX hose; shimmed regulator; Tymar intake; zoodad; 4" DP to 4" exhaust to Aeroturbine muffler to 4" chrome stack; Dahl 100 heated fuel filter; in tank/pre pump mod, Hella FF driving & fog lights, Ford of Ocala SUCKS!
WORK TRUCKS '90 F450 7.3 flat bed, '90 Inter 7.3 flatbed, '96 F450 7.3 dump, '96 F800 5.9 Dump, '00 FL60 Cat Lift truck, '02 F150 5.4 pickup, '04 F550 6.0 Dump, '04 f350 6.0 pickup, '07 F550 6.0 Flatbed, '04 f450 dump
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 PM
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
I am very interested in this. My transmission has some of what I would call synchro related problems that it didn't have when new but that developed slowly over time.

These are:

Difficulty putting the trans in 1st when stopped at a light. I have to allow the truck to creep forward slightly or just jam it which I really don't like doing. I know this is not a clutch problem because there's no clash or lurch when it goes in.

The trans clunks when shifting up through each gear. If I wait a second or two in neutral between shifts, it goes right in. Again, it never did this when it was newer.

I have rebuilt smaller transmissions with the same problem and by simply replacing the synchro rings and the metal tabs, this problem was completely cured. I really don't want to try this with the 400 pound trans and I'd be thrilled if replacing the fluid would help cure this.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Thanks!

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in