Audio-In on Factory head unit - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 6_Myles, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 554 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
I be Architect'n

Audio-In on Factory head unit

Has anyone ever heard of someone installing an audio-in jack on the factory radio, something to play an mp3 player through. Or any ideas? Thanks

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 12:18 AM

The only factory radios with inputs have a "AUX" button on the front. If yours has the "AUX" button, you can get an adapter (PIE) to untilize RCA connections and plug anything into it. You will need access to the rear of the radio though.

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 06:32 PM

I found a factory adaptor for my cd player at Best Buy/ Future Shop.

It utilizes the CD changer control plug and plugs inline. There is a control unit that attaches to it and it allows me to use my iPod in place of my changer.

The one I bought is specifically made for ipods but you can buy an generic cable that allows you to attach it via the head phone jack.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/home.asp

Damed thing as expensive though...$180 CAD but it charges my iPod and allows me to scroll through songs via my factory head unit.

At that price, you are very near to buying an aftermarket CD player with MP3 player interface.

I chose to stick with the factory CD player because I like to keep my rig low profile. Nobody ever tries to steal a factory deck.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
I be Architect'n
Threadstarter

After some deeper research I've come to this:

If you have a 6 disk in-dash changer you're pretty much stuck with FM transmitter only, or a hardwire into the antenna. Lesser quality, but cheaper.

If you have the Single Disk/Tape combo then you can use a product made by www.usaspec.com that will allow you to have two RCA inputs. Plug & Play, CD quality but costs about $60-70. PIE is also an option.

So, I'll be hitting up ebay for the single disk/tape headunit to pop in during long road trips.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:51 PM

I would think that there are plenty of people out there that would be willing to swap thier single CD player for your factory 6 disk with money on top.

Use the money to buy the interface and you would be good to go.

My stereo is the single CD player with changer control. I've essentially lost the potential to add the changer but with an iPod...who cares?

I originally had my iPod attached to an AM/FM radio!

I swapped it out because it didn't even have 4 speaker out put!

I don't even use CDs anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode