Spare tire lock. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by V895-ST280, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 457 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Spare tire lock.

I have question for all you experts. When I bought my truck from an individual earlier this year(03 F-250), it did not have the tire tool and lock thing to get the spare down. What is the easist way to get the lock thing off or is there a way to get the lock thing off under there so I can use a crank that I could get from a yard? Or do you have to contact the company that made the lock for Ford? I really don't want the lock unless I can get the one that will unlock it, then I would keep it. I just want to be able to get my spare without cutting the cable. Is McGuard the company? Any suggestions will be apprecaited. Thanks!!!! Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 12:27 AM

If you grab the black plastic tube that the handle inserts onto, and give it a pull,it will pop out.
You will now be able to see the lock.It looks like a mini locking lug nut.

Now climb under the truck and wedge a long screwdriver behind the lock while a helper does the same from above. With a little wiggling/prying the lock will pop out,allowing you to throw it as far as your arm can propel it. :roflmao:
I tried to get behind the lock with my screwdriver while my helper worked it side to side.The lock is only lightly pressed in so it will come out with little effort once you get a good bite on it.
The spare tire can now be lowered with just the normal handle.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey, thanks Nummit! I wondered if that tube was just pressed on. I wanted to find out first before I tried. I will do this tomorrow. I hope I can find a crank at a yard. If not I will see how much one is from Ford......ouch! Thanks again! Aaron
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:45 PM

No problem.
Hope all turns out well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, I got everything worked out. I deflated the tire and pushed it against the frame as tight as I could with a jack. Then I took a 1/2 inch socket and some extensions and pushed very hard against the lock and turned. With all the weight off the winch it went down and I winched the tire down and took the winch out. I took the lock thing out of the winch. So, no tire tools to be found at the local yards. I priced new ones on Ford parts direct , I think it was. Anyway, for the two pieces and a lug wrench would be about $70.00. So what I did was this. I used a extra and el-cheapo 1/2 inch -1/2 inch drive socket that I had lying around and pressed it on the lock, then I welded it also. Tomorrow I am going to buy some cheap 1/2 inch extensions that equal about 3 foot and a breaker bar to keep in the truck for my tire tools. I might have $ 10-$15 invested depending on what the tools will cost. I will buy a tire cross also for the lug nuts. Sorry so long winded! Thanks for the help. Aaron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode