Off track here!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by pirogue, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1121 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
like my new truck dad!

Thumbs down Off track here!!

how many of you know that your truck tracks to left or right while driving down the hwy? what is acceptable if any at all? what would be the fix?

here is the deal truck is 4 months with 8400miles and last week following my wife i obsereved the truck tracking to the right(*** end). at that time truck totally stock. this week i added a level kit on the front and it still does it.

well it's kind of hard to tell, but the left pic is rear driver side tire and the right is the front driver side tire. the arrows are meant to show the chalk line that marked the tire that i popped on my drive way as i rolled as straight as i can.

how do you go about fixing this, loosening the rear axle and try to twist it?

thanks!

05 F250 SB SRW CC 6.0 TS SCT:evil:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:07 AM

I think tire wear is the most important thing to watch. Sometimes things arent as they appear, may have been just the angle you were looking at it as it was going down the road.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:13 AM

this was your wife driving in front of you right? maybe you just have the natural instinct to look around from the back to see the front???
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:31 PM

There is a posibility that your axle is slightly off. There is a little *** that sticks up into the lift block, and another that goes from the block to the axle. It is posible that with the little play in there could cause it. Measuer from a fixed point on the frame (spring perch) that is equal on each side of the truck to the axle.. It should tell you if the axle is cocked one way...

Brian
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
like my new truck dad!
Threadstarter

thanks for the replies: i'm going to measure to see if it's aligned like you said then i will install the 350 rear blocks today and i'll do my best to alighn it if it were out.

another thing is the front axle did slide to driverside after 2.5 level kit. i will need a drop bracket for the track bar.

i did not mention that in the first post cause the lift would have been the blame for the track.

thanks again.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Thats the issue with leveling kits. Most do not come with everything needed. Do your best to keep the rear alxe in the right spot when you put it back together, and you should be fine.

By going up 2.5 inches you will need to drop the track bar about 3/8" in the two bolts on the drivers side. My old lift just used a bushing like piece of metal for each bolt... But It would be better to support it more.

Your also running a 1 to 1.5 degree of caster. That means that you will most likely find your self wandering more. If you plan on leaving it there, let me know, I know a guy who builds a kit to fix that problem.

Im going in for the 4" lift on Jan 5th.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:19 PM
TDG Mafia Member #24

Would this also apply to the 04's? The caster issue?

2005 Excursion 6.0 4X4 EB 4" MBRP Turbo back 5" tip, Zoodad, Steveracer, Stryker 490 CB(with mods of course), Wilson 5000, Bully Dog outlook monitor, DR 3" lift W/ Bilstien Shocks, U and mod B codes, DR Dual Steering Stabilizer, Billet Badges, 05 Powerstroke Badges, Weld Cheyennes 18x10, Mickey Thomspon 325/60-18's, DynaMated interior, Strobes, Train horns, 30mm rear sway bar, HIDs in Headlights, Fogs and backups, AIRAID Intake system, Randy Ellis light bar, 4 KC lights, oilgaurd, FASS, LED markers, Bean's 190cc Injectors, Bean's Turbo, ARP Headstuds, SCT By Kermit, Custom Fuel System, More to come...
:grd

14.109 @ 95.96mph best 1/4 for now, Oh ya @ 8520lbs
Worlds Fastest and Quickest Super Heavy Weight Excursion.
"Can You Keep Up?"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:21 PM

Im unsure Auggie.... I know it applies to the coils. I cant say on the leafs.

The rule on the caster for the fords with coils, is for every inch you go up you lose 1 degree of caster. You start with about 3 degrees.

If you want to know what negative caster feels like, dive a stock truck backwards at any high rate of speed. You move the wheel a touch and the truck moves suddenly. It would do the same forward.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
like my new truck dad!
Threadstarter

ISURVIVEDNMU, hey bud send me the info, i have no plans of action as of right now! i was going to start searching for options.

i put the 350 rear blocks on today, don't care for the ride. it feels spongy. i may put the smaller one's back and add a 1" aluminum block.

thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5750 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	2878  

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
like my new truck dad!
Threadstarter

update

this is what i done and also found. loosened the U bolts and slammed axle via rubber mahl to the front of driver side tire and rear of passenger side tire. retightened U bolts, small fix if any.

then i got to measuring fender heights, and found passenger side fender 1/2" higher than driver side. that should tell me leafspring is pushing axle to the front since almost all the arch is in the rear of the spring.:shrug:

this sucks i have never been in an accident or offroad with this vehicle. i suppose next plan of action is to bring it to some frame and leafspring shop or take level kit off and send to dealer.:shrug:

thanks for all the help!:HappyMugs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode