Questions on todays fuels? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by RAWPWR, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 2458 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Black is the best color

Questions on todays fuels?

Ok, so first i started seeing this stuff on the pumps that says "15 parts per million ultra low sulfur diesel fuel", and just today when topping off the 6 1/2 it said "contains 99% biodiesel". This stuff wasnt even the bluish green color im used too, it was kind of yellowish and it didnt smell as strong as regular diesel fuel. It must be okay to run in the trucks if their selling it to the public but i know its not the best. From what ive read these new fuels have less cetane rating which doesnt make as much power as "good" diesel fuel and also ive heard that its lubricity properties arent as good as before, which is one of the reasons why i had to replace the o-rings in the drain valve on my 7.3(besides the fact that it has 137k).

So, can someone please enlighten me as to these "new" emissions friendly diesel fuels were pouring into our trucks. And also, do any of you guys use any additives to counter the effects of this crappy fuel. Or do you just go to certain gas stations that might have better quality fuels. The trucks we have our in my sig (if that makes any difference, newer diesel engine compared to older one).Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long post.

Dad's toy's...

'99 F350 XLT CC LB 4X4 Off Road 7.3L Powerstroke A4 137K Black
6" Superlift lift kit, 38" Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip, 16" polished allum. wheels, custom intake, straight piped, color matched grille w/ stainless insert, rhino lining bed liner, amber running lights

'07 F650 XLT CC LB dually 5.9L Cummins ISB Allison 3000 HS 6spd. auto 37K Black
Leather captains chairs, Pioneer in-dash, amp, 12" sub, dvd player, billet grille, Omega train horns, TS perf. 3 pos. chip, custom Magnaflow exh., line-x bed liner, amber running lights, Accuride 22.5" polished allum. wheels w/ Michelin 11R22.5 XZE's, Detroit Locker w/ 4.11's, Goodyear airbags, and alot of sound deadening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 AM
The Big Meanie

alot of guys are adding 2 cycle oil to the 7.3's to re-gain the lubrication factors.....I'm sure some will chime in on this..........

kevin

1996 Dodge 3500 Ex. Cab LB Wide Hipper
Boys Stroke It...Men RAM It
Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member
If I Get Caught Drunk On My Horse, Is It A DUI Or A RUI???

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS
What Is A Farm With No Barns?

Quote:
[Today 9:22 PM] GrnMachineLover: I just think diesels in cars are funny
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Black is the best color
Threadstarter

Thanks for replying. Ive used 2 cycle oil in my gassers with a noticeable improvement in mileage and smoothness in how the motor runs (mostly at idle). It cleans the combustion chamber, which aids in reducing knocking and lubricates the entire fuel system. This is with a 5:1 ratio (1 oz. of oil for every 5 gallons of fuel), and only TC-W3 2 cycle oil can be used. What kind of ratio are we talking about for a diesel? Any other insight would be appreciated.

Dad's toy's...

'99 F350 XLT CC LB 4X4 Off Road 7.3L Powerstroke A4 137K Black
6" Superlift lift kit, 38" Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip, 16" polished allum. wheels, custom intake, straight piped, color matched grille w/ stainless insert, rhino lining bed liner, amber running lights

'07 F650 XLT CC LB dually 5.9L Cummins ISB Allison 3000 HS 6spd. auto 37K Black
Leather captains chairs, Pioneer in-dash, amp, 12" sub, dvd player, billet grille, Omega train horns, TS perf. 3 pos. chip, custom Magnaflow exh., line-x bed liner, amber running lights, Accuride 22.5" polished allum. wheels w/ Michelin 11R22.5 XZE's, Detroit Locker w/ 4.11's, Goodyear airbags, and alot of sound deadening
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
The Big Meanie

get with Dave (4cstr)....I know he's been mixing it for a while now

kevin

Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS

Quote:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
The Big Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWPWR View Post
Thanks for replying. Ive used 2 cycle oil in my gassers with a noticeable improvement in mileage and smoothness in how the motor runs (mostly at idle). It cleans the combustion chamber, which aids in reducing knocking and lubricates the entire fuel system. This is with a 5:1 ratio (1 oz. of oil for every 5 gallons of fuel), and only TC-W3 2 cycle oil can be used. What kind of ratio are we talking about for a diesel? Any other insight would be appreciated.
why is that? If it improves mileage and idle, I might wanna give this a shot!!!!

kevin

Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS

Quote:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 PM

You want the lowest cetane for maximum BTU/gallon, high cetane fuel is only for cold weather and generally has lower BTU's (which is why "winter blends" give poor mileage)

The new fuel is not poor, it's actually better than we've ever had, almost as good as in Europe who have had much more stringent emissions requirements for a while (another reason european diesel cars/trucks don't perform well in the US is our poor quality fuel)

Adding 2-stroke will aid in lubrication, assuming you have an '07 or older truck without a DPF.

Bio blends need no lubrication enhancement, they are better than the "old" fuel in the lubrication dept.

If you have access to B2 for a reasonable price, that's all you need to run.
Bio has a lower BTU rating, so the higher the concentration, the lower your mileage will be.
(we're talking single digit % difference here, so it's not that bad)

If you cannot find B2 easily, or it is high priced, just add 1oz of 2-stroke per gallon of ULSD (one quart per fill up is good enough) and you'll be in good shape.

BTW, B100 will eat your paint and absorb moisture just like DOT 3 brake fluid.

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK

Last edited by 444turbodiesel; 06-16-2009 at 04:39 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 PM

That B99 has the potential to clog your fuel filter quickly. Keep a spare handy if you plan to run it much.

Unless it's cheaper than regular #2 I would consider adding a gallon or two per tankful of the B99 to your regular fuel.

Bio-diesel consistently ranks higher than 2-cycle oil when the Bio is used in concentrations up to 5%, if I remember correctly.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd