Transmission chip???? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Dieselpwrdredneck, this thread has received 23 replies and been viewed 1522 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Question Transmission chip????

Hello all this is my first time posting here, i hope i did it right:shrug:
I am asking this question for my friend.
Are there any options for a '97 PSD with an auto? I was thinkin maybe a Transcommand but not sure?
What all does a tranny chip do, and what does it help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:05 AM

well for the cost of a trans command or i believe bullydog also makes something similar, he could have a custom chip that gives him extra power and makes the tranny do exactly what he wants (tc lockup, shift pts, line pressure).

Luke
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
BJS

In all honest you're better off installing a good shiftkit to help the tranny rather than doing it electronically. I'd suggest a trangso tugger kit or a factory tech valve body to help the tranny shift better.

A good programmer can do the same thing with the engine chip that you're going to accomplish w/ a trans module. The ECM controls both engine & trans.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM
4cstr

Yep...gotta agree with Brandon here. Your tranny will appreciate you much better if you mechanically up the pressure. The factory tech valve body is a great addition. Check with Jeremy at Long Island Performance Diesel. He can get them.

Upping the line pressure via software is really hard on the stock pump and shortens the life.

And welcome to the Garage. Enjoy your stay.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwrdredneck
Hello all this is my first time posting here, i hope i did it right:shrug:
I am asking this question for my friend.
Are there any options for a '97 PSD with an auto? I was thinkin maybe a Transcommand but not sure?
What all does a tranny chip do, and what does it help?
Welcome!

Unless your friend has some cash stashed away for a new trans, I would NOT screw with the line pressure.

No matter how you increase it, the affect on the pump is exactly the same, as well as all the other components that will be affected.

The ONLY time you should mess with LP is thru the PCM, and the ONLY folks on this earth qualified to make the required changes in the PCM are either employed by, or distributors for "SCT" (Superchips Custom Tuning).

The main guy at SCT is a former Ford Transmission engineer, and HE KNOWS HIS STUFF.

Those other chip/tuners and aftermarket shift kit sellers are WAY out in left field on what is truely good for your trans.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 PM

SCT does do a good job in that department. However there can be benefits to shift kits when done properly so that extra supply lubrication can be provided. Its more about the flow than the pressure.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
Welcome!

the ONLY folks on this earth qualified to make the required changes in the PCM are either employed by, or distributors for "SCT" (Superchips Custom Tuning).

The main guy at SCT is a former Ford Transmission engineer, and HE KNOWS HIS STUFF.

Those other chip/tuners and aftermarket shift kit sellers are WAY out in left field on what is truely good for your trans.
Broad statement without basis, and untrue to say the least
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
However there can be benefits to shift kits when done properly so that extra supply lubrication can be provided. Its more about the flow than the pressure.
That is absolutely 100% true. Unfortunately, the "shift kit" sellers have no clue about the relationship between LP and cooler/lube flow (or they simply do not care). When you raise the LP, you REDUCE cooler flow and gearset lube. It is that simple.

Quote:
Broad statement without basis, and untrue to say the least
in reply to: "the ONLY folks on this earth qualified to make the required changes in the PCM are either employed by, or distributors for "SCT" (Superchips Custom Tuning).

Those other chip/tuners and aftermarket shift kit sellers are WAY out in left field on what is truely good for your trans."

You either understand (at an engineering level) how the particular AT works, or you don't, and(non-SCT folks) don't. So next time you suggest that someone OTHER than JW (at SCT), who is selling a product for a Ford electronic A/T, has a decent product ask the sales staff how many former FORD TRANSMISSION engineers they have employed. The answer will be "zero".

So your claim of "without basis, and untrue" would hardly apply.

I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:47 AM

Ever heard of BTS?:

Me thinks he might have an idea about how AT's in the powerstroke operates, and what makes them live and what makes them die.

You go ahead and stay in your make believe world that only the people who use the SCT tuning are the only ones who know whats going on.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

BTS?

How many ASE Powertrain engineers do they have?

How many former FORD trans engineers do they employ?

How much R&D budget do they have?

How many vehicles to they test their products in (100 plus sensor input real-time dyno testing) before releasing it?

So you are telling us that a company other then FORD knows more about the AODE/4R100 and how to make it last longer and handle more power than FORD and their engineers do?

I can tell you that unless they have the documentation on all the R&D testing and tear-downs of the warrenty return units (the Ford is NOT about to give up) and have recently aquired a real Transmission engineer or two from Ford, the likelyhood of your claim is slim.

You see, they (BTS) do not know WHY it was designed (or the PCM was programmed) the way it was because they did not engineer it.

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode