Auto to Manual - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by codyr6, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1493 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Auto to Manual

So hopefully I wont be replacing my transmission for a very very long time but I am a realist and seeing that I have 103k on my truck I am starting to put money aside for any major issues like that.

Obviously Im not lookin for exact numbers jsut ballpark figures just incase anything happens to the tranny in the future.

1st off how much would a hole new stock automatic tranny (what I have now) torqueshift.

2nd since I like driving a stick and all how much more would it be to have the manual put in instead? I know some of you think I'd be nuts to do this but I like stick shift not auto's and I bought this truck cuz it was a hell of a deal but it was automatic (beggars cant be chosers right?) well if I gotta replace it in the future I wanna get what I want 6 speed manual (want the extra top end gear for fuel saving and cruisin at speed on long trips) if its something realistic (like 500-1000 more) but if its like outrageous then oh well I will just have 2 buy a new truck and order exactly what I want then which still wouldnt be all that bad....

There gona have to cut a hole for the stick to come up into the cab and also add a clutch pedal (which these 2 thing are probably where most of the cost is gonna come) then the tranny itself which in theory for this example lets just say its pretty much a stock stick shift tranny no rediculous upgrades on flywheel, clutch plates, gears etc. I am gonna guess about 2500-3k but I really dont have a clue and I am sure there is probably a few hardcore guys on ehre that have done some stuff like this.

Lets just hope this doesnt happen within the nezt 2 years... lol SKOOL SUCKS I HATE BEING BROKE! I guess thats what they make personal loans for though right??? lol jk

2004 6.0L F-350 leveled on 35s with 3.5in Strait Pipe CuStOm Side Exit Exhaust. Pioneer DvD touchscreen, Kicker 10inch subwoofer, Kicker Amp, Blacked out Windows.

Last edited by codyr6; 09-22-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
bump bump bump

2004 6.0L F-350 leveled on 35s with 3.5in Strait Pipe CuStOm Side Exit Exhaust. Pioneer DvD touchscreen, Kicker 10inch subwoofer, Kicker Amp, Blacked out Windows.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
Have you tried the SEARCH button?

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Proper usage of any of the punctuation keys (period, semicolon, comma, etc...) might help as well. I'd be more inclined to help if the OP's posts were punctuated correctly, thereby making them easy to read. By the whining he does in his sig, I'm guessing the OP isn't an English major...

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Resident GINGER

Garage
Send a message via MSN to CFRO
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
Proper usage of any of the punctuation keys (period, semicolon, comma, etc...) might help as well. I'd be more inclined to help if the OP's posts were punctuated correctly, thereby making them easy to read. By the whining he does in his sig, I'm guessing the OP isn't an English major...
you know, in the amount of time you two spent complaining, you could have just searched for him, or not posted anything. However, i guess since he doesn't have nearly enough posts, you just decided to be rude..

anyhow, To the OP, you could post up in the vendors form and see if any of them can give you an estimate on what a new Auto would set you back.

and Again, if one of those other two people had taken a second away from complaining about your punctuation (even though i was able to read it, must be because I'm in engineering not English) they could have put up this link that shows what is required for the ZF-6 swap.

08 Ranger Grabber Orange. XLT 4x4 5 Speed Manual Super cab. Sirius. Silvana 9007 and 9415's. Amsoil 0w30 (Mileage Maximizer). Dee Zee Powder Coated Tool Box (PEELING). Dual 3' Fire Sticks. Cobra 75 X.
94 F-350 CC LB 5 -Speed. 4.10's. MBRP. Single Mass. 265/75's on 16x8's. Uniden CB. 3' Firestick.

Single club # 61
The Following User Says Thank You to CFRO For this addition to TDG:
codyr6 (09-24-2009)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

I have a extra manual tranny and transfercase if you need it.

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
The Following User Says Thank You to TANK'S 250 For this addition to TDG:
codyr6 (09-24-2009)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
The one and only

Garage
I take it you have a 6.0 since you have a torque shift. You should have mentioned what motor and year your truck was.

It is VERY doable. I just did an auto to zf6 swap in my truck. It is a 7.3 but the concept is still the same.

I spent a total of $2,000 in the swap. Witch is the same amount it would have coast me to rebuilt my auto to how it was b4 I blew it up.

1999.5 Ford F-250 7.3l 4x4 PSD DI Short block, Ported Heads, Head studs, Over size valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, GTP38R, GSL 392 fuel pump with 3/8 line feeding 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuning from Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

Auto to ZF6 Completed

520hp and 926tq - 5/23/09
Dyno Sheet
The Following User Says Thank You to big_stroker For this addition to TDG:
codyr6 (09-24-2009)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFRO View Post
you know, in the amount of time you two spent complaining, you could have just searched for him, or not posted anything. However, i guess since he doesn't have nearly enough posts, you just decided to be rude..
Its hard to search when you don't know what you're looking for. All he said was I want a manual. Nothing else. No year, no motor, just mileage. Not to mention that there is a very long and detailed thread called "Auto to ZF6 swap" in the 7.3 section at the top...

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Its hard to search when you don't know what you're looking for. All he said was I want a manual. Nothing else. No year, no motor, just mileage. Not to mention that there is a very long and detailed thread called "Auto to ZF6 swap" in the 7.3 section at the top...
Well thanks to everyone else who had the info to help me... It is appreciate since I am young and dumb and haven't grown up around engines, transmissions etc.

Zaairman and Javenicus the problem I have is that I dont know what a ZF-6 swap is. I am not a mechanic nor do I get on the forum and pretend to be something im not. I am not here to fake my mechanical knowledge or blow anything up; however, I am looking to more knowledgable people that will teach me and help me to understand simple concepts and ideas. (I hope the punctuation helps you to understand the sentence flow. With this being a very official document I wouldn't want there to be any errors)

Thanks again to everyone! Tank I will definately hit you up if I have any tranny problems cuz Id love to smack a stick shift in this badboy! I just got the exhaust done and it sounds amazing! Thanks to all the other guys in the other thread. I will post up some pics once I figure out how to so if anyone else on a super tight budget want to do this!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 AM

the hole might alredy be ther for it with a patch panel glued in from the factory also you might what to add your truck info into your sig. to help out others who can help and good luck with the trans. when that time comes

2004 ford F350 6.0L 6 speed manual,SCT live wire,south bend double disk clutch,short throw shifter fx4. Costome exhaust 4 inch turbo back to 5" homade stacks, banjo bolt mod, shimed regulator,custom leveling kit (not blocks) and air lift air bags with onbord air suply TRADED FOR

2006 ford F 250 Amarillo 4" turbo back other than that stock for now

singles club #206

bomb squad #67

Ridin' Dirty Club #65
The Following User Says Thank You to vcassens For this addition to TDG:
codyr6 (09-25-2009)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode