Rear axle traction devices - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by powerstroke2003, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1231 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Rear axle traction devices

I am looking at upgrading my rear limited slip to either a detroit locker or a spool. The reason I am looking at a spool is i have heard that a detroit locker can cause bucking when it locks or unlocks, but that was in Jeeps. I was wondering where I can get a spool for the rear. Most of my driving is on the interstate or in the mud at the farm. How much does a spool affect the turning radius?

Thanks Zac

I'm Zac

2003 F-250 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4x4
Crew Cab, Shortbed, Dark Red Exterior; Tan Interior; H-11 Headstuds; Tuned by Innovative Diesel; MBRP down pipe straight into a 6 inch Grand Rock miter stack; Airaid Intake; Isspro Trans temp, Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyro gauges; EGR Cooler Deleted; Pro Comp 3in leveling kit and F-350 blocks out back; Eagle Alloy 114 wraped in Nitto Terra Grapplers; Ranchhand brushguard; Custom Traction Bars; Recon Smoke Cab Light and Third Brake Light;Pioneer CD Player and XM radio; and a "THE DIESEL GARAGE" sticker in the back window.

Black Betty: 1981 Jeep CJ7 258 I-6, 4 spd, Headman Header, Comp Cams MSD ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, 2in of lift, 30in Swampers, Lincoln Locked rear.

Scrappy: 1975 Jeep CJ5 258 I-6, 3 spd,Headman Header, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, Full MSD ignition, Stretched 14 inches, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch tires, Lincoln Locker rear

BOMB Squad #15
Singles Club #136
American Club #17
Riding Dirty Club #25

A big thanks to Aaron at Smoking Guns Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 AM

If you're worrying about driveability of a locker, a spool is the absolute last type of rearend you'd want...

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I am not really worried about drivability with the spool. I know it will cut down the turning radius, but I have read nothing good about a detroit locker when install in a Jeep. Mainly causing erradic lane changes when installed in a CJ or wrangler.

I'm Zac

2003 F-250 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4x4
Crew Cab, Shortbed, Dark Red Exterior; Tan Interior; H-11 Headstuds; Tuned by Innovative Diesel; MBRP down pipe straight into a 6 inch Grand Rock miter stack; Airaid Intake; Isspro Trans temp, Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyro gauges; EGR Cooler Deleted; Pro Comp 3in leveling kit and F-350 blocks out back; Eagle Alloy 114 wraped in Nitto Terra Grapplers; Ranchhand brushguard; Custom Traction Bars; Recon Smoke Cab Light and Third Brake Light;Pioneer CD Player and XM radio; and a "THE DIESEL GARAGE" sticker in the back window.

Black Betty: 1981 Jeep CJ7 258 I-6, 4 spd, Headman Header, Comp Cams MSD ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, 2in of lift, 30in Swampers, Lincoln Locked rear.

Scrappy: 1975 Jeep CJ5 258 I-6, 3 spd,Headman Header, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, Full MSD ignition, Stretched 14 inches, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch tires, Lincoln Locker rear

BOMB Squad #15
Singles Club #136
American Club #17
Riding Dirty Club #25

A big thanks to Aaron at Smoking Guns Performance
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I Wanna Go Fast!

i would get a detroit tru trac or a detroit locker

Just another 6leaker Thanks to RCD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVhcfZN3jw
The Following User Says Thank You to brentos For this addition to TDG:
powerstroke2003 (10-19-2009)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
All the bad things you read about a Detroit Locker are going to be 10x worse with a spool.

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaairman For this addition to TDG:
powerstroke2003 (10-19-2009)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Zac,

You DO NOT want a spool, it will make it DIFFICULT to turn, not just increase the turning radius. Have you ever locked the diff on a tractor then tried to turn it? Nothing doing right, same with a spool, except you CAN'T unlock it, ever.

I prefer a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) to any form of locking diff, but that is MY preference and one not shared by people who off-road and understandabally so.

Reference: http://www.reiderracing.com/index.php?cPath=5850

Reider racing KNOWS differentials, lots of stores sell them, Reider KNOWS them.

For similicity, not much beats a PowerTraxx. They are 100% locking but offer excellant turning charecteristics and are not wear-prone. They lock completely so are not a good option for high power vehicles at the drag strip, they tend to break other driveline parts or explode themselves on occasion. They are excellant, IMO, for most (farm) truck applications where you don't have a lot of power or traction and just need both rears pulling.

The Eaton is a cone-clutch type LSD that offers excellant durability and is relatively easy to install, they are NOT rebuildable but subject to high wear rates in mud.

The Trac-Lok is the Ford clutched LSD system and while it is an EXCELLANT solution for vehicles needing occasional added traction (mud, snow, sand) and for boat ramps it is NOT suited to frequent severe use (off-road) but is rebuildable - easily in housing. This is MY preference for what we do with our vehicles.

The Trutrac is a GEARED LSD that provides exactly the same Tq to both wheels, it will take a LOT of punnishment but again is not well suited for frequent off-roading and not at all for rock-climbing.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Last edited by John_G; 10-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_G For this addition to TDG:
powerstroke2003 (10-27-2009)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 AM
I do all my own stunts

Send a message via MSN to kblackav8or
Why not get an air locker. Locked when you want it, not locked the rest of the time. There is also that Ox locker. I am not sure they make them for rear axles though.

2000 F-250 PSD 6 speed 4x4 Lariat
1959 Kenworth CC 925 NTC-400 5x3 4.10 SQHD's
Myriad of parts and pieces in my garage
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke2003 View Post
I am looking at upgrading my rear limited slip to either a detroit locker or a spool. The reason I am looking at a spool is i have heard that a detroit locker can cause bucking when it locks or unlocks, but that was in Jeeps. I was wondering where I can get a spool for the rear. Most of my driving is on the interstate or in the mud at the farm. How much does a spool affect the turning radius?

Thanks Zac
A spool will 'chirp' ( drag a wheel ) on most turns of the wheel, if the stagger on the rear wheels is not matched then one wheel gets dragged down the pavement. Worst of all is the rear following the wind on ice when changing speed.

All of the dividers will slip on ice except the mechanical locks and the bias ones like OX and Torsen. When set up right the Detroit will snap and step ahead on the outside wheel but I have driven ones that chirp like a spool and yank up the inside wheel, that is the thing that gets an 18 in stepover when it clicks at the wrong time, like a lane change.

ARB was the best that I have driven, open for normal use and coasting down the pavement, get stuck on a cowpattie and flip an air switch for real 4 wheel drive.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode