Column shifter loose - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rwhat, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 4631 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Column shifter loose

How do you adjust the column shift on a 2000 f250 Auto.
Its causing the interior light to stay on in Drive and the the locking out the starter in Park. Its a friends truck. My 2004 had the same problem, but the dealer fixed it under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 PM

I would start by taking the bottom cover off of the column to see if there is an adjustment point there. If not look on the transmission and check there. If not you may have to replace the cable. Just some ideas to start with until someone hopefully comes along that has done it. Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 AM

Garage
There are two plastic bushings that are on the steering column that the shift linkage rod travels through. There are two metal brackets that hold the rod down and the bushings are under these brackets. They are held in by 2 T25 torx bolts. You will need to take out the 4 15mm nuts that secure the column to the body. Let the column drop down and you will see what I am talking about. I just changed them in my wifes 03 X. Takes about 10 minutes. PM me if you need any more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjtproperty For this addition to TDG:
kirby05 (11-22-2009)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM

What he said above, but what i would look at first before removing anything is this. get a flashlight and look under dash at the very end of the column, just above your steering shaft you will find the met bracket where your shift cable mounts to the shift linkage. ( you can wiggle your shift lever while looking up there to find the end of the shift linkage )

This bracket is mounted by 2-T30 torx bolts. These 2 bolts have been known to rattle loose and cause sloppy shifting and hard to shift or find correct gears etc... Dont take both bolts out because there is a spring behind that bracket. Either tighten both bolts up, or remove one bolt and install loc-tite and tighten, then do the same to the other bolt. I usually just tighten them both up though. I see this problem more than i see the bushings mentioned above fail but i have done plenty of both.

My motto: Be nice, be polite, but have have a plan to kill everyone that you meet.

94 F250 IDI turbo, auto 2wd.. ATS housing, 3" down, 4" exh, guages. 104k miles got totalled by a damn mustang (parts now).

98 12v, 4x4 quad cab. auto with BD T/C & V/B, Banks Big head, Exh brake, AFC modded, 16.5ish*, KDP gone, 60lb springs, 4K-GSK, BHAF, pyro, trans, and boost guages. 4" straight pipe,

72 AM General M35A2, LDT465-1C "Whistler" Turbo, PTO winch.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 PM
rock removal technition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
What he said above, but what i would look at first before removing anything is this. get a flashlight and look under dash at the very end of the column, just above your steering shaft you will find the met bracket where your shift cable mounts to the shift linkage. ( you can wiggle your shift lever while looking up there to find the end of the shift linkage )

This bracket is mounted by 2-T30 torx bolts. These 2 bolts have been known to rattle loose and cause sloppy shifting and hard to shift or find correct gears etc... Dont take both bolts out because there is a spring behind that bracket. Either tighten both bolts up, or remove one bolt and install loc-tite and tighten, then do the same to the other bolt. I usually just tighten them both up though. I see this problem more than i see the bushings mentioned above fail but i have done plenty of both.
what he said

1996 psd 5speed 4x4 cc 8' bed, 3" body lift, 35's swamped, dp-tuner, intercooled, custom fuel system, no fan, and a few other goodies, 263k. 349.2hp sold
2003 7.3 4r100 4wd sc 8', xlt 20th anniversary edition
stock cept for duals. 260k sarted out as a 2wd xl work tk
Early 99 CC dually 4x4 4r100 dark lights, dark windows, stainless simulators
99 v-10 4x4 sc sb auto 275hp gas guzzler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode