05' Front coil removal - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by diesel dan, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 670 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Destroked

05' Front coil removal

Hey guys...just ordered #6,000 springs for the front of my truck. It had #5,200 springs but I got a 8'2" Boss V-Plow for it and decided to order the snowplow prep. pkg springs. Before I go tearing it apart, I was wondering exactly how to get the spring out of the brackets. Looks to me you have to "unsrcrew" the spring from the top mount but Im not sure how to get it loose from the bottom. I know Kawis Dad put #7,000 springs on his 350 maybe he can help. Again, any help will be appreciated.:Thumbup:

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:06 PM

Just a side note:
If you don't have the snow plow prep pkg (see below) you will void your warr as soon as you hang your blade.
It has been brought up before, but your fan clutch on a non-plow prep pkg truck is going to give you over-heating problems.

SNOW PLOW PREP PACKAGE (86M)
Availability:
• Requires 4x4
• Not available with Heavy Service Suspension Package (674)
Includes:
• Computer selected springs for snowplow application.
• Rear auxiliary springs
• 140-amp alternator with Power Stroke® diesel engine
• Unique fan clutch with Power Stroke® diesel engine for improved cooling

FYI

Ford Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. Custom F-650 Trucks, Shelby GT500 & KR Mustangs. 406 544-6891 [email protected] Thanks Randy
TDG Mafia #53 ... Riding High Club #30 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/foru...pictureid=1589
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than in church thinking about my motorcycle. ~unknown~
===============
"I wanna die like my grandfather, in his sleep, not like the other 4 passengers screaming in his car".
===============
2008 Harley Softail Custom 105th Aniv Limited Edition
2006 Harley F-250 Black w/Blue Flames FOR SALE $23K
2006 Harley F-350 Tor Red w/Black Flames SOLD
2005 Harley F-250 True Blue w/Med Blue Flames SOLD
2004 Harley F-250 Black & DSG 2/tone 6" Lift SOLD
1.3 million miles OTR and still Truckin!!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

Thanks for the info...but...Im fully aware of that....my warranty was void a long time ago...dont really care...just wanting info on how to put my springs on. As for the other stuff...alternator, dont need...fan clutch, there is a lot of ppl I know that dont have a plow prep pkg and they get along just fine. Dealer has always warrantied their stuff. As for the rear aux. springs...already have them...I have the camper pkg.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

C'mon...someone must know. Im planning on putting these things on tonight. Really need some advice if available.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:38 AM

The tops are held in place by the rubber and a tappered hole. The bottoms sit in place in the castings. When you remove them, look at the end of the bottom part of the spring. You can see how it sits in there. The top rubber piece will only fit in one place on the spring.

remove the bottom shock bolt, remove the sway bar link at the easiest piont for you, jack up the frame, jack stand it, jack up the axle to get tire off, remove the brake line at the upper spring tower to give you room to lower the axle, let the axle down until the spring comes loose. be careful! this stuff can hurt....

Easy job! If you sit a little highter and your wheel is off, just adjust the bar going to the pitman arm. No alignment needed!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

Thanks Brian....well appreciated:Thumbup:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

Update everyone...I put my new springs on today...WHAT A PIECE OF CAKE!!!!:Thumbup: You were right Brian, I had both sides done in 43 minutes. Never would have figured that would be soo easy. Raised my truck a good inch if not more too.:Thumbup:Now I'm ready for my plow!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:38 PM

Congrats Dan!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
AKA - FFpsd

Dan,
How much were the coils, and how does it ride with the new coils/and no plow?

-Jason

2005 F250 C/C Short Bed
FX4..Lariat..Black W/Tan Interior
SCT Xcal2 W/Cutsom Tunes**Zoodad Mod**285/70R17 BFG A/T's on Stockers
The Diesel Garage

Can You Keep Up???

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

They were like right at $99 and some change for the both of them....it rides just a little bit more stout than it did but not to where its ungodly rough like Waynes 450 probably is. I think its a better way to go when wanting to level the truck out too. Sits approx. one inch lower than the rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode