DP Tuner Chip Review - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KarTek, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 7175 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
Cool DP Tuner Chip Review

Guys,

I've been running a DP Tuner chip for about a week now and I wanted to report on how it's performing. I had been running an old Western Diesel chip from about 2002 so the programming technology was somewhat out of date. The chip dynoed pretty strong but I was having trouble with drivability and too much ignition advance hampering on road performance.

I went with DP's 6 position chip. The chip comes standard with 1 program. The selector switch and additional programs are sold separately. I went with 3 of the 6 possible programs including: 40HP Tow, 80HP Econo and 120 Race.

Just some general observations:

The engine sounds distinctly different. Much like an older Powerstroke with single shots. It has more of a "growl" to it at all RPM ranges.

Throttle response is much improved. The engine revs quicker making double clutching and shifting more coordinated. The power comes on sooner, with much less application of throttle.

With the old chip, I could not mat the throttle without the engine going into severe detonation. I could literally feel the engine loose power at full throttle then pick up again when I lifted. With the DP Tuner chip, I have full use of the entire throttle range.

The truck pulls like a freight train throughout a wider RPM range. Before, with the old chip, it had a much narrower power band.

On the 80 and 40 HP modes smoke has been greatly reduced when the engine is lugged. The turbo also spools up much quicker.

On the dyno:

I made 3 runs on the dyno. The first with the old chip and 2 more with the new chip in the 80 and 120 mode. The first pull with the WD chip yielded no suprises. I had run this chip before and the numbers fell within 5 HP and 10# torque of my previous numbers.

The second, on the 80HP mode yielded a nearly parallel line with a small decrease in peak HP and a more significant drop in Tq. The overall pattern, however, is much flatter with more space under the curve.

The third run on 120 HP mode was again nearly parallel to the original run but again, the power was extended significantly into the higher RPM ranges. This has proven out on the road as well as the truck pulls much better into the upper RPM's.

Overall, I netted about 12 HP vs. the old chip but the improvement in drivability far outshines any numbers on the dyno. I feel as well, that the injectors and boost have simply met the end of their capability and the HPOP may be giving up quite a bit as well.

Thanks go to Jody and Diane at DP Tuner. Great folks to deal with and very pleasant in person! :Thumbup: :thanks:

Thanks also to the guys at Ed's Diesel Performance for bringing the dyno out to Mooresville and letting me take the time to do a little chip swapping while strapped on. :Thumbup: :thanks:

I hope to see you all again sometime! :bow:

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 PM
fordt

Glad you got that worked out :Thumbup:
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Super limo owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Limo
Im got to get mine soon My chip died last night ;( Truck would not start

Kyle

2001 Ford F-350 crew cab long bed srw black gauges boost and pyro Dp 4 pos chip. Straight piped 4 in lift with 35`s . Acetone emblems
CAN YOU KEEP UP??

Everyone dies but not everyone lives

AKA COOLUA Got A NEW NAME!

LOOK AT MY NEW PICS
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 PM

Jody and Diane are TOP notch tuners! im glad you had a good experiance with them. if i ever need anything for a 7.3, i know where im going!

Keep up the good work guys!

Dom
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

Evan,

It sounds like we missed a great show :Thumbup:

Those numbers are right up there for your truck on a no load dyno. Keep working on your little projects and you will see more. :HappyMugs

Diane
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 PM

Dianne,
What gives with the gasser Avatar?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Doh, It's mine........ :blah: :HappyMugs

:93C_peelo
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 PM

Duh, Guess I could have read your other thread... Any chance we get to hotlap it in Bowling green?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

That is the same weekend Jody will be at the BTS's(Brian's Truck Shop in AR) Grand Opening/dyno Event.

Although....... if you can get back to Wayne's in April I am working on a test and tune/Drags GTG at English Mountain Dragway.

It will be open for all brand's. :HappyMugs
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:02 PM

Just because Jody is way over there does not mean you cant come have Fun In BG... (Read: Take Tim and thre gang for hotlaps in supercharged truck)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode