Electrical Issue... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Keanoknick, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 802 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Big Stroker

Send a message via MSN to Keanoknick
Electrical Issue...

I was putting on Cen Tex diesel's new up pipes on my truck over the weekend with some help from a buddy, well somehow we inadvertently left the power cable off the alternator. This wasn't noticed untill I was driving around and the battery light came on. I turned off the truck to look for a reason, and saw the cable not connected to the post on the alternator. Well stupid me, decided to move the cable, and when I did it shorted out against the alternator case/housing, causing a loud pop and spark, as well as a large puff of smoke coming out of the wire harness by where the charge cable comes out of the "mesh" wire loom and connects to the battery.

Needless to say, I felt pretty dumb as I was grabbing the fire extinguisher (which I did NOT use). After the fireworks were over, I started the truck again with the cable still disconnected just to verify it would still run, and it seemed just fine. I used my multimeter to discover the cable from the alternator was bad, no connectivity between the two ends, somewhere in the middle it burned up, so I decided to upgrade the cable, and bolt on a 2ga cable to the alternator and battery in it's place. This seems to do the trick, truck is idleing, alternator is putting out voltage and charging the batteries, so I decide to check the voltage, (my radio has a feature that shows me the voltage on it's screen) and it shows 16v . I'm thinking maybe it's just cause the batts were low, and it's to charge them. I decide to go for a test drive, and as soon as I start to accelerate, all my factory guages and the radio (aftermarket) go dead, as though there is no power, but truck is still running great, and power is working everywhere else. as soon as I come to the stop sign, radio and insturment cluster start working again, accelerate, and they die again Once everything got to normal operating temps this all stops, and it acts completely normal.

So I thought maybe something got jacked in the alternator, and I put in the alternator off of my spare motor, and go for a short drive, (motor still hot) and all was good. I get in my truck to come to work this AM, and sure enough, as soon as I start to accelerate, instrument cluster and radio die again, but all the lights were bright, even in the cluster. I had little choice but to keep going to work, after about 2 miles, as things got warm, it all came back and started working again, and was fine the whole rest of the 45 min drive into work. Oh and voltage was at 16v almost all the time, except at idle at stop signs etc.. in which case it would drop to 15.4 or so. Same results with 2 different alternators. I never paid real close attention before, but I don't think my voltage was that high before, could this be because of runing the bigger cable? oh yeah, batteries are pretty new less than 6 months old.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long post.

2005 F250 CC SB FX4
8" lift; 38.5" Procomps; ARP Headstuds; Banks Intercooler and High Ram Elbow; 4" Exhaust; SCT with custom tunes by Tony Wildman; Isspro Performax guages; '08 TT mirrors; Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares; Recon somked cab and mirror lights; Frontier front bumper replacement; AMP Research power runnning boards; Fabtech floating traction bars

North Texas Powerstroke Association www.NTxPSA.com

Riding High Club #3
Ridin' Dirty Club #10
American Club #39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Big Stroker
Threadstarter

Send a message via MSN to Keanoknick
Problem Solved, Thanks Chad.

2005 F250 CC SB FX4
8" lift; 38.5" Procomps; ARP Headstuds; Banks Intercooler and High Ram Elbow; 4" Exhaust; SCT with custom tunes by Tony Wildman; Isspro Performax guages; '08 TT mirrors; Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares; Recon somked cab and mirror lights; Frontier front bumper replacement; AMP Research power runnning boards; Fabtech floating traction bars

North Texas Powerstroke Association www.NTxPSA.com

Riding High Club #3
Ridin' Dirty Club #10
American Club #39
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM

What was the issue?

05' F-250, Harley Davidson #2993, True Blue
SCT X2 programmer (innovative tuned), MBRP 4in turbo back SS Cool Duals, Gutted Cat, S&B cold air intake, 2" front 1" rear lift, 325x60x20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stock Harley 20" rims, Line X, 20% tint all around, Alpine Linear Sub system, 4k Sylvania Silver Star lights, Zoo Dad mod, line of fire by Recon, ARP head studs, RCD EGR delete, new heads, new Turbo, dual bilstein steering stabilizers, bilstein 5100 shocks all 4 corners, truxedo bed cover, Amsoil. U.S.C.G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode