Paint on 06 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Superdutytd, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1022 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Paint on 06

Does your 06 have really soft paint? We have a dark red one and the paint seems to swirl and scuff off really easy. Does anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 PM

I do and I make car paint.

Can you take your fingernail and leave an indention in it when its out in the sunlight?

What do you mean by scuff off? Does color come off on a towel or wax applicator?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Destroked

The paint might not be 100 percent cured all the way yet....give it a little time and put a good coat of filler wax on it and see what happens.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchBoost
I do and I make car paint.

Can you take your fingernail and leave an indention in it when its out in the sunlight?

What do you mean by scuff off? Does color come off on a towel or wax applicator?
No the color doesn't come off, it just scratches really easy, we haven't even ran it through any bushes and theres lots of deep swirl marks in it. And the truck is 4months old, wouldn't the paint be cured by now? I always wash it by washing out the mitt every time and only using the clean mitt over a lit bit of paint.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutytd
No the color doesn't come off, it just scratches really easy, we haven't even ran it through any bushes and theres lots of deep swirl marks in it. And the truck is 4months old, wouldn't the paint be cured by now? I always wash it by washing out the mitt every time and only using the clean mitt over a lit bit of paint.

The way the OEM's high temp bake these things it would be 100% cured in a week or less. In theory a typical body shop coating is 100% cured in 30 days even if it's baked but the process is not apples to apples compared to OEM.

The deep swirls (its sounds like you didn't put them there) are a result of high speed buffing either at the plant or at the dealer. When did you first notice the swirls? Usually when something is high speed buffed half-arse the tech finishes with a polish/hand glaze that's loaded with petroleum distillates (silicone) because the fastest way to make something shine and fill swirls is dump a bottle of a petroleum product on it.

The problem is oils 'flash off' once the substrate reaches 110F or more or once you wash it with a strong car wash concentrate.

Swirl marks are the equivalent of very fine sand scratches in the top coat and usually the best way to get rid of them is to start over again with a rubbing compound then switch to a polish (and somebody that knows how to use a buffer).

A detail shop is the worst place to look for permanent swirl removal because everything they have is loaded with oil while a quality body shop is the best because they can't use very oily products around paint because the mere presence of silicones in the shop can cause fish eyes in a paint job.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Its not the swirls much but how easy it was scratched to even far enough i'm not sure if buffing it would take it out. We haven't hit anything or ran it through any bushes, it seems like it must have come from washing but we wash it so well it just seems like the paint scratched so easily.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to 4cefed
I know what you mean the paint has "spider webbed" , i used some Meguiar's NXT wax on my truck the other day by hand and it came out really nice, sounds like you need your truck buffed, best to bring it to someone who knows what theyre doing seeing as the clearcoat on our trucks is very thin...some "Perfect It II" is what i would use if youre going to do it yourself.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:03 PM

If you have a body shop in town you trust take it to them for an opinion because it's hard to diagnose it without seeing it. It should not scratch easily, should be 100% cured by now and the 3 Powerstrokes I had all had rock hard clear on it.

As stated the clear is pretty thin compared to what the automotive aftermarket produces. If I recall every SD hood I had dry mil'd between 4.2-4.6 mils with an electronic mil gauge.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yea my 02' has pretty hard clear on it too. This is BS, is there any warranty on this or are we pretty much alone?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutytd
Yea my 02' has pretty hard clear on it too. This is BS, is there any warranty on this or are we pretty much alone?
I *think* the official paint warranty is something like 12mo/12K but I've seen repairs made well beyond that.

Lets assume it has a bad clear coat on it.

Best case it needs an entire scuffing and new clear coat applied.

Worst case the old clear needs to come off and the truck still gets repainted.

Either way that's a major job that is almost always detectable and this means diminished value at trade time.

If it needs an entire repainting of any type I would not allow it and demand a replacement. Period. Without seeing it I can only determine so much that's why I say go to a know quality shop and get an assessment in writing. Then go to Ford.

Letís hope it doesn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode