OH Display & Compass Repair - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TooManyToys, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 5145 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

OH Display & Compass Repair

For years there had been a Website with some images of how to work on the OH display to get it to light up again. From recent messages, it appears that the site has gone away so I was intending to put up a basic pictorial about this on my Webshots.

I had problems with my display like probably everyone has / will have. First my compass was getting wonky, dropping out or going into CAL mode. Since NJ is a peninsula, you are going to eventually hit water east, west or south, and if you leave NJ going north itís easy to tell youíre in NY with the different plates, so the compass was not that important to me. But then my entire display started dimming and it wasnít long before it went dark.

The forums and the website were great to find out that resistors had overheated and their soldered connections became loose. So with the information in hand, I found I had a few loose resistors. I fixed the two problem resistors and soldered a couple of others nearby. That took care of my display lighting up but the compass was still wacked. No problem though, being on a peninsula.

There have also been a few threads about the compass not working; including someone who has stated a dealer mechanic replaced the compass sensor to fix it. Well no matter where I looked I could never find that sensor or any reference to it. And I dismissed it as the ďsensorĒ was in the board and I was not ready to buy a new board.

I started to have one side of my display get dim again, so I thought it was time for me to get off my duff and do the pictorial. Plus I thought that since some of the resistors came loose that powered the display, other components in the compass circuitry on the board may have the same fate.

I pulled the display down and re-soldered the resistors I had done before. While Iím good at soldering, these little guys and the production board soldering doesnít bring out my best work. Looking around at the other components, there are resistors and other micro components that I canít even touch with an iron. There were two other resistors that were of the larger size but did not appear to be loose from high temperatures. So I went through the process of re-soldering those.

After reinstalling the display it came back up fully lit and showed a CAL indication with no info in the compass direction box. But I went though and redid the ZONE correction, then got dizzy doing the circle recalibration procedure. The direction indicator was still blank so I shut off the motor and restarted. The compass has been working fine now for a week.

So maybe it was the two other resistors, the phase of the moon, or I just got lucky and by next week Iíll have a bad compass reading again. But right now it works.

And for those who need images of what the overhead display looks like and how to take it apart, you can find that here:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/577437184kSXAba

I did not include how to take down the cover, as I understand some years are just retention clips like mine and you can just pull down on the cover, while others do have screws.

Jack -
Formerly FMTRVT, Manager of Vehicle Testing - Brakes

2003 F-350SC Lariat 4x4 6.0L Auto

Truck Modifications as below in Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys
Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TooManyToys For this addition to TDG:
Cedar Creek Stroke (04-27-2010), harleystroker (04-26-2010), Trip (10-31-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
TDG MAFIA

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to harleystroker
I need to do this as soon as I get some time off

TDG MAFIA

04 Harley F250 c/c s/b: 06 headlights, 3'' rough county lift, Eagle 20's, 35'' tarragrapplers, 4'' turbo back magnaflow with cat/muffler delete, 6000k HID's, Recon line of fire/ mirror lights/3rd brake/&Tales,Studs/gaskets,Tuned SCT X3,STL strobe kit, Icon shocks,Dfuser Egr/ Egr cooler delete, 03 turbo
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...04/sq_com4.gif
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 AM

I just paid for one of the 2 or 3 guys on ebay that fix them, had it back in a week. It saved me from using my meager soldering skills. I was hoping that the MPG would be a little higher but it hasn't changed. Just another option.

Black 05 Excursion -MBRP T-Back minus kitty, Airaid w/Zoodad, FS2500, Coolant Bypass, ATS Headstuds, ITP Reg Rtn, Full EGR Delete, DFUSER Light Harness, Keystone Heat Extractor Hood 2 Tone, CCV Reroute, 4-6" lift, 35" MT Baja MTZ's on Classic Locks, SCT X2 w/Innovative Extreme Race
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
The Party Tank.

Garage
I have the worst soldering skills.. Ever. I still tried this on my 04 about 5 or 6 months ago and I ended up BUTCHERING IT.. Ill have to take a pic for everyone to laugh at.

So I am in the market for a new one, and these dudes are not cheap.

Nice writeup though!

04 F-350 Short Bed, Crew Cab, Lariat, FX-4, White

SCT X3 With Innovative Xtreme Tunes.

Air Raid Filter.

Magnaflow Exhauast.

Hard Tonneau Cover.

18" Helo's with 33" Cooper Zeon LTZ's (I'm Poor).

Air Lift front air bags to level the ride.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Stroked Cracker View Post
I have the worst soldering skills.. Ever. I still tried this on my 04 about 5 or 6 months ago and I ended up BUTCHERING IT.. Ill have to take a pic for everyone to laugh at.

So I am in the market for a new one, and these dudes are not cheap.

Nice writeup though!
me and you are paddling the same boat... i did the exact same thing and sent it off to one of those guys NGHTRGR sent his to for $45 to fix it but it was unrepairable... so he sent it back and didnt charge me. if you find a good deal on 2 hit me up!

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Jack - it was http://www.forgotton.net that had the pictures, including photos of
the "in tank" (aka HUTCH or HARPOON) mod.

looks like the site & photos have gone away.

thanks for posting of your pictures <i LOVE to solder>...my compass has been
erratic at best...but like you, i dont need it....ill probably wait for the lights to
start dropping out before i touch it, but your photos <as always> are priceless !

thanks !

Don R.

'04 350 4WD Lariat Crew Longbed (built 05.04)
-------------------

-------------------

Gear Vendors Dbl Overdrive Install w/ Pics.
135 Amp Alternator Upgrade/Replacement
50 Gal. Aux Tank; Pump, Filter, Wiring
Truck Audio,
CUSTOM Valentine One Install - LINK
$10 Grill Mod. (protects the coolers) !

Block Heater Cord (Rear Mounted w/ Timer) - LINK

REALTIME -CURRENT DIESEL Pricing <HERE>
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon
Threadstarter

Don, you nailed it - that was the site.

It helped a lot of people and just wanted to keep the info alive.

Jack -
Formerly FMTRVT, Manager of Vehicle Testing - Brakes

2003 F-350SC Lariat 4x4 6.0L Auto

Truck Modifications as below in Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys
Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 AM

Garage
OMG, Thank you for this awesome thread! Decide to do a search to see if there any info about this problem. My over head compass stopped working 4 months ago. Because of this write up, I took it all apart tonight. One of the 680 resistors had fallen off. tomorrow I will resolder it back on and see if that indeed fix it or not. I will get back to you guys. thanks again
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 AM

my compass is intermittent - has been for months, i've NEVER used the thing,
and as long as all the other functions work im fine.

hell i cant even RELIABLY use the DTE function, but i do make use of it.

Don R.

'04 350 4WD Lariat Crew Longbed (built 05.04)
-------------------

-------------------

Gear Vendors Dbl Overdrive Install w/ Pics.
135 Amp Alternator Upgrade/Replacement
50 Gal. Aux Tank; Pump, Filter, Wiring
Truck Audio,
CUSTOM Valentine One Install - LINK
$10 Grill Mod. (protects the coolers) !

Block Heater Cord (Rear Mounted w/ Timer) - LINK

REALTIME -CURRENT DIESEL Pricing <HERE>
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 AM

Garage
Right as rain now. it has never worked better. Super easy, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode