Can someone post front suspension pictures from a 2005 or later? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bakantor, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 692 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Can someone post front suspension pictures from a 2005 or later?

Hi all -

Back three years ago I started playing with my front suspension. I put in some airbags, slowly cut back one of the leafs, relocated the shocks, etc. The ride is softer/smoother but as suspected I have more axle role under hard braking conditions. The goal was to be able to lower the truck a few inches which was a success... but now I need to decide where to go with it.

I'm not convinced airbags are the ideal main suspension item for a daily driver. There are too many little quirks (one thing they do very well is to keep the truck flat through the corners). So, it's time to either put the original design back in place (which will require purchasing new leaf packs), finish the air bag setup (which doesn't seem practical for the long term) or try a conversion to the 2005+ coil spring configuration. If I do the coil conversion I will be doing it without swapping axles (thus fabrication work will be necessary).

Long story short, I was hoping someone would be gracious enough to post or point me to pictures of a 2005+ stock front suspension (tire off preferred). I need to see the spring buckets, shock mount, spring to axle mount, support beam from axle to truck frame, and a front shot of the left and right wheel area to understand how the steering, etc have changed. Moreover, if someone would be willing to take a measurement from the axle edge along the support beam to the frame mount bolt I would be greatful. I need to see if the stock leaf spring mount point is of any use.

Thanks in advance! The internet has a few pictures but they're really only to show that it's changed... nothing that you could plan from.

Cheers!
Brad

At this point I think and slowly transitioned the

'04 Excursion PSD, a.k.a Da Bus
- SCT by D.J., Powershot 2000, '05 Power Elbow, Isspro gauges under dash,
- Slam Specialties RE8's in the front... 5 inch drop to 4 inch lift at my command
- Herculiner on the runnin' boards and The Go-Fast Scratch! (THE latest must-have free mod!!!)

Last edited by bakantor; 05-21-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Someone must have pics

I checked and believe I have a Dana 60 front axle (which is likely needed to do this swap), so the key to this whole process is how the two support bars (not sure what they're called... the solid beams which go from the frame rails to the axle) are attached to the truck. I think the location is almost a foot further back from where my leafs attach. That being said, I have to imagine this support point could be added to my truck.

So, I'm going to try again and ask really nice!!!

Perty Pleeez wizza sugga ontap!

'04 Excursion PSD, a.k.a Da Bus
- SCT by D.J., Powershot 2000, '05 Power Elbow, Isspro gauges under dash,
- Slam Specialties RE8's in the front... 5 inch drop to 4 inch lift at my command
- Herculiner on the runnin' boards and The Go-Fast Scratch! (THE latest must-have free mod!!!)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
It'd be much cheaper and easier to find a wrecked truck and swap in both axles complete with suspension. You'll need both axles since the width is different on your pre 2005 truck.

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode