Cryo Rotors / Hawk Pads - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by UpstateDieselGuy, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 3394 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Cryo Rotors / Hawk Pads

I put the Cryo treated Slotted Rotors and Hawk Pads on my truck all the way around almost 3 years ago after reading some many good things. My stock breaks were warped and pulsing. It wasn't bad, but enough that I wanted to fix it and figured that I would upgrade. I had good luck initially, however after 6 months to a year they began to pulse. I checked everything and there were no issues. They progressively got worse; warped with a lot of shaking and pulsing. I contacted the vendor that I bought them from in the spring of '09 and at 1.5 years and maybe 15,000 miles tops and they informed me that the manufacture wouldn't do anything for me as they could have warped due to other issues, calipers, etc.

I tried to deal with them as long as I could due to buying a house, other issues, etc., but finally got to the point I had to do something. I talked to a buddy of mine who works at a Ford shop and he said that he could turn them for me and we could go from there.

Friday after work I began to pull them off. I was utterly disgusted with what I saw. As soon as I pulled the wheel off I could see that the rotors were pitted and delaminating. After I pulled the calipers and brackets off I finished pulling the rotors off and found that the inside surfaces were worse yet. They were severely pitted, grooved, and delaminating. They couldn't be turned and saved.

I checked the calipers over and they were fine. I put new Ford Rotors and Pads on today along with a brake fluid change and was amazed. This truck hasn't stopped this good since new, possibly better? The Ford Pads came with new springs and stainless steel clips for the pads to slide in. I pulled the slide pins, cleaned them, and lubed them with brake lube. I made sure to lube the stainless steel clips with the lube as well. I dis some easy stops and bed them in nicely.

I wish I had just put the Ford Rotors and Pads on when I did them back in '07. They were just a slight bit more than aftermarket and are working great. I just want to share my experiences and hopefully save someone else from this costly mistake. I don't know if it is just me or the weather around here, but these brakes were not worth the time, money, or aggravation.

Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 AM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

post pics

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Curmudgeon

Don't need no stink'n pictures .....

Just from the description I can tell you are in salt country. More likely some of those new eco-friendly chloride areas.

It doesn't matter what brand of rotors you put on, they are going to get eaten. So the best monetary way of handling it is the path you chose. You probably got the Motorcraft rotors and pads, which while not OE are a very good choice not only for the quality of the rotor but for a more effective and rotor abrasive (truing) friction material.

The best way of ensuring the rotors have best chance of not developing pulsation is to index them for minimum runout when bolted down on the hubs. Your Ford friend should have the dial indicator to do that.

As far as the corrosion issue, the best thing to do is to wash down the rotors and at the pads rubbing surfaces as best you can through the wheels when it's feasible during the winter. Those new de-icers do not wash away as easily as the older salt did.

Jack -
Formerly FMTRVT, Manager of Vehicle Testing - Brakes

2003 F-350SC Lariat 4x4 6.0L Auto

Truck Modifications as below in Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys
Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I didn't bother with pictures as they got worse looking as I pounded them off. The environment around here with the ice treatments bonded them to the hub, even with anti-seize. I made sure to put it on the hub and inside the Rotors as well. I agree that the new treatment materials are hell on all metals. We can get several feet of snow and year along with ice and as cold as -30. They make sure those roads are bare, one way or another.

On another note, I give Ford and their supplier credit. These new Rotors were balanced when machined. It was evident on the Rotor, something I have never seen on the aftermarket pieces.

Chris

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Chris,

Ford is stringent on the specs for their aftermarket parts, more in line with OE standards then aftermarket. The rotors are made by Federal-Mogul, and while F-M also sells in the aftermarket as Wagner, the Motorcraft parts are made to a higher standard. Good eyes for noticing that.

Jack -
Formerly FMTRVT, Manager of Vehicle Testing - Brakes

2003 F-350SC Lariat 4x4 6.0L Auto

Truck Modifications as below in Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys
Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM

I agree with Chris my hawk pads and cyro rotors, are crap. A complete waste of money. My pad only last about 10kmiles and left a groove in my rotors, and the rotor didnt hold up as they should my stock ford pads and rotors lasted over 85kmiles and in 10kmiles these are garbage.

SOLD!!
2004 F-350 CC Shortbox, SCT, S&B intake, Gauges, Intake elbow, ARP Studs, Stage 1 fuel system, Fass 150/180(took off), titian 52 Gallon fuel tank, b&w turnover ball, Line-x in bed and bottom of truck,
hard tonneau cover(Just for winter use)

2003 F-250 SC Shortbox
Singles Club #30
B.O.M.B. Squad #11
Ridin' Dirty Club #14
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Glad to hear that I was correct in my observations! So far so good. Chris

SOLD
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Good info, very helpful to the other owners here. How much are the rotors and pads from Ford?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I walked out with the set for $300.

SOLD
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 AM

Garage
What brand did you buy? was it power slot?

Tags
cryo rotors hawk pads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode