Biodiesel? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rmzsuzuki89, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1821 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Biodiesel?

What are the pros and cons of biodiesel? I was shopping around for a truck and saw one that was rigged up for it, and it got me thinking. So what are some opinions on biodiesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Garage
What are you calling set up for BIO?
Bio diesel= has been processed (transvirsification) and can be pumped into your tank and run like #2. newer diesels are rated for a 20% blend of bio 80% #2.

Veggie oil= has only been filtered and is run with out processing. This requires starting on diesel and shutting down on diesel. This can be hard on injection systems if not done right.

Bio Diesel has several good points. one is that it is a great lubricant. And acts as an oxygenator when blended. And can ALL be locally grown and made.

The only real down point is that on older vehicles, rubber seals don't like it. But this hasn't really been a problem since about 97ish depending on the MFG.

Then it all comes to quality of the fuel you use. I know around here, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get enough oil to process.
If you are getting it at a fuel pump, odds are it is blend.

And California has a minimum of 5% at all pumps. Weather it is marked or not. This will be the wave of the future. And here in AZ most of the truck stops are starting to blend too.

Jody

1997 Ford F350 7.3L CC SRW 2WD, 4" MBRP Exhaust, AFE Intake, AEM Water/Meth, 190amp DC Power Alt., DP F5 Chip,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Big and Slow View Post
What are you calling set up for BIO?
Bio diesel= has been processed (transvirsification) and can be pumped into your tank and run like #2. newer diesels are rated for a 20% blend of bio 80% #2.

Veggie oil= has only been filtered and is run with out processing. This requires starting on diesel and shutting down on diesel. This can be hard on injection systems if not done right.

Bio Diesel has several good points. one is that it is a great lubricant. And acts as an oxygenator when blended. And can ALL be locally grown and made.

The only real down point is that on older vehicles, rubber seals don't like it. But this hasn't really been a problem since about 97ish depending on the MFG.

Then it all comes to quality of the fuel you use. I know around here, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get enough oil to process.
If you are getting it at a fuel pump, odds are it is blend.

And California has a minimum of 5% at all pumps. Weather it is marked or not. This will be the wave of the future. And here in AZ most of the truck stops are starting to blend too.
The one that I saw had a completely different system for the bio that used only the injectors of the factory fuel system.

I don't really know a lot about how it works or where to get the bio itself haha.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:20 PM

Garage
Sounds like it's a veggie system. Not Biodiesel.

Even tho veggie is bio, there is a big difference.

Those can be good systems. Just run really good filters (this will be the most expensive part).

Jody

1997 Ford F350 7.3L CC SRW 2WD, 4" MBRP Exhaust, AFE Intake, AEM Water/Meth, 190amp DC Power Alt., DP F5 Chip,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Big and Slow View Post
Sounds like it's a veggie system. Not Biodiesel.

Even tho veggie is bio, there is a big difference.

Those can be good systems. Just run really good filters (this will be the most expensive part).
Would it even be worth it after the filters? I'm not planning on getting that particular truck, but it did get me thinking about it for the truck that I do get.

And where can actual biodiesel be found? Is it just at select gas station pumps, or is there a special place to get it?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Garage
If you could get a steady source of free or close to free oil the absolutely.

But to run Bio Diesel, you don't need any modifications.

As for where to by bio diesel, just google fuel suppliers in your area.
I know here in Arizona several of the truck stops sell blends. And a few places like Western Stares Petrolium sells 99% bio( for tax purposes age 1% #2 is needed).

Jody

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 AM

California does not have a mandated 5% biodiesel program. I wish they did. I cannot find biodiesel around here to run.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Combat Trucker

Garage
You can get a map and directions to stations that sell bio here http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/ Most engines run perfect on b20 or below. They run alot quieter and bio helps lube the injection pump and can act as a sort of fuel system cleaner. Good for your truck and good for the enviroment.

07 Ram 2500 5.9 Megacab
96 k2500 Extcab 6.5TD vin F NV4500 3.73 245k miles
07 Hemi Durango
03 Ram 2500 (Gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode