6.0L Turbo Reconditioning - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sredish, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 2998 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Texas XC Quad Racer

6.0L Turbo Reconditioning

Great article on how to recondition the turbo, steps to take and some tricks to make it go better.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-05.php

Black 03 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Shortbed Lariat - studded 6.0, sunroof, MBRP muff-less exhaust, SCT tuning, JW trans, Cobalts, lifted, ProComp Xtreme ATs, 4.56 gears, High-Angle CV Driveline, Warn 15k, AmpSteps, stainless brake lines, Powerslots /Hawk, AGR pump/gearbox/ram, projector headlamps and one heavy foot....

Audio: Kenwood DDX-8017 in-dash TV/DVD/GPS, kickpanel pods, MB Quart 1" tweets/5.25"mids in kicks, 6.5" midbass in doors, rear MB Quart 6x8, Fosgate amps / 3000 watts, 3 - JL 10w6's. Fully Dynamatted and foamed interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

That is an EXCELLANT article!

I would like to point out one error, and offer some additional information.

The VT365/6.0L does NOT use an EVRT as stated, it is NOT an "Electronic" variable response turbo. It uses a simple on/off solenoid and "duty cycle" from the PCM to control vane position, much like the IPR valve. The EGR DT466/570s DO use the EVRT style turbos.

Your friendly local International Dealer offers a KIT to service the turbocharger, the P/N is: 1870713C91 and it contails all the items required to clean the turbos.

Additionally, the vane POSTS, unison ring, and flat side of the exhaust housing should be coated with the supplied HIGH TEMPERATURE Anti-Sieze compound. NOT slobbered on, but apply a light coating - just enough to cover those parts. Also, DO NOT coat the vanes themselves.

If you mess up and nick the impeller wheel, the turbo is JUNK, so use EXTREME CARE and the included protective covers while cleaning.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM

I would like to respectfully correct your correction:

Quote:
The VT365/6.0L does NOT use an EVRT as stated, it is NOT an "Electronic" variable response turbo. It uses a simple on/off solenoid and "duty cycle" from the PCM to control vane position, much like the IPR valve.
Carefully read the quoted text. It is self contradictory. That "simple on/off solenoid IS electronically controlled. "EVRT" is the term used SPECIFICALLY to describe the turbocharger on the VT365. International owns the rights to the name as well. If you look in the International and the Ford manuals covering the medium duty version of the 6.0L engine you will find that the turbocharger is referred to as the "EVRT."

Please read the VT365 Spec Sheet

The same turbocharger on the 6.0L Power Stroke version of the engine is called an EVRT as well though we Ford techs call it a VGT as that is the acronym used in our literature.

Please read the Ford Spec Sheet

The point is, either name and or acronym is correct and accurate. As for the operation of the EVRT on either the VT365 or the Power Stroke, they perform exactly the same with the only difference being the PCM. It uses base engine oil pressure to actuate the turbocharger unison ring opening and closing the vanes. The actuator is electronically controlled, or, pulse width modulated by the PCM based on feedback from the EBP sensor and other sensors. The VT365 uses an International PCM and FICM also found on the Ford Medium Duty 6.0L. The Power Stroke Diesel uses Fords PCM and Internationals FICM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not interested in reading marketing materials.

The simple FACT is that the 6.0L (VT365) does NOT use an "EVRT". It uses a simple solenoid, there is no feedback to the PCM, and it's response is not "variable". It is a PWM controlled solenoid, and it has no "electronic" components installed in it or on the turbo. Not one.

The solenoid is an electrical device, but it is not "electronic" by definition.

I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The solenoid is an electrical device, but it is not "electronic" by definition. laugh
You are taking this wayyyy too literally. The "electronic" refers to "electronically controlled."
I suppose the injectors aren't HEUI either? (Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injector)

Quick! Somebody call International and Ford to tell them they are wrong! :uhoh2:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Electronically CONTROLLED, so yes they are.

You are right, I AM taking it literally. I am also not trying to argue (especially with you), only pointing out that both turbos are (incorrectly) referred to as EVRT, when only one truely is.

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:28 PM
keepin faith in the 6.0L!

Sorry John G but your wrong man. Its written in plain english that the VT365 stroke uses a EVRT style turbo but is also reffered to as a VGT turbo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode