how to shim the regulater - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_diesel71, this thread has received 36 replies and been viewed 8006 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

how to shim the regulater

this is for toby & mike and anyone that needs to know.first off you should check your fuel pressure to see if you have another issue,like a bad pump or a inlet restriction. fuel pressure spec. is 45 psi min. inlet restriction is 6'' hg max. shimming the regulator will yeild about a 4-8psi increase in pressure. i dont advise shimming the pressure above 60psi with a stock pump and injectors. shimming the regulator will insure your injectors dont suffer low pressure on a hard accell or heavy loaded hill climb. all the trucks i have tested have an average of 4psi drop in pressure when you load the engine. fuel pressure at or below 45psi should have a new pump installed. all that is needed to shim the regulter is a bb from a bb gun this works best(tryed all kinds of stuff) the regulater is on the side of the engine mounted fuel filter housing,unhook the return line then take out the 4 tourq screws. at the bottom of the regulater housing is a spring that fits into a brass cup. the bb goes into the brass cup then the spring. with the bb in the cup it acts as a spacer and stiffins the spring. the housing has a 0-ring shaped gasket that can be reused. the return line has a 0-ring on the housing side that will reseal too. at the top of the filter housing is a small white plastic piece this is the air bleed dont loose it,most of them stay in place.you will have to hold the regulater cover in place to get the screws started because the spring will hang out more,put everything back together and prim the fuel system like you changed the filters. make sure thier are no leaks and your done.this will keep your pressure from dropping low and keep the injector barrel & plunger from galling.:Thumbup: imoa doing this and a fuel crossover will help make the engine run smoother give better low end responce and help the injectors live longer. this is not a substitute for a full fuel system just littel things you can do to help. if you wont big hp/tq you need a full regulated return fuel system. hopfuly toby will post the pics i have to get a better idea on how its done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Destroked

Lets post this in the modifications and installs forum, I think that would be a good idea to move it over there so we know where its at.....:Thumbup:

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:26 PM

Here is some pics.

Thanks Paul.:Thumbup:
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:30 PM
fordt

Toby, what is that thing mounted by your fuel and oil filter caps?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM

Thats not my truck...... That is Pauls truck.:
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Wolverine Vendor

If I hadn't thought of it already, I would agree that this is a good idea. However, a notorious gentleman, by the name of Mitch a/k/a Choke-on-my-Smoke let the cat out of the bag a little over a year ago.

We were testing different ways to come up with fuel pressure that would be adequate for driving around town and effective enough for racing and it works but ... One of the drawbacks of installing a bb is you have constant pressure to whatever size bb you put in there. For istance 65 lbs., 75 lbs, depending on the size pellet. As soon as the weather gets a little cold you, will have alot of headaches starting up your truck. When Choke originally posted the shimmy mod, everyone installed it and with time also took it off the regulator spring.

We have a regulated fuel system that we have successfully installed on vehicles down here. We say successfully because their track times are impressive. Mini Me has the fuel system installed and has run a 12.32 with the fuel system, nitrous and an SCT only. A 12.17and 12.00 with a set 250cc injectors from Bean and Casserly. Our system will fuel Up to 250cc injectors. Custom larger systems are also available.

We just finished up the pictures and the manual yesterday and will be posting more information in the vendors forum this afternoon. Our fuel system is ready for shipping

Here are a couple of pictures.
DJ :evil:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regattached.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	6403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6404  

Proud Sponsor of The Diesel Garage
DJ's Diesel Performance, Inc.
Ocala, Florida
Tel.: 352-528-0688/Fax: 352-528-0033
[email protected]
www.dj-performance.com

Home of Mini Me Racing, LLC
Orlando, FL - Fun Ford Weekend
March 5, 2006
11.82 @ 116.8mph & 6,360 Lbs.
"He Who Hesitate is Not Only Lost But Miles From The Next Exit"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Sound like a cool set up DJ!!!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:09 PM

you da man paul! er
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:36 PM

IMHO...you need to have a fuel pressure gauge to do this deal...the pressure can vary widely with the smallest change in what you use as a shim.
Like DJ said...this has been around for a long time now...compliments of that rat ******* Mitch. I played with it back then myself...when a ferrul from a 1/8" boost line was the shim of choice...till I got a pressure gauge...and saw I'd been running almost 90 PSI at idle.
Without knowing what your before pressure is...there's no way in hell to accuratly know what your after pressure will be...the trucks just vary too much in stock form.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt
Toby, what is that thing mounted by your fuel and oil filter caps?
You're kiding right ?
That's an EGR valve....looks like's he's running a dummy valve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode